Chavez demands physical delivery

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Chavez demands physical delivery

Postby Mossy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Well, this should liven up the PM market:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/chavez-pu ... l-starting

As Chavez Pulls Venezuela's Gold From JP Morgan, Is The Great Scramble For Physical Starting?
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 08/17/2011 - 16:27 In addition to the nationalization of his gold insutry, Chavez earlier also announced that he would recover virtually all gold that Venezuela hold abroad, starting with 99 tons of gold at the Bank of England. (more at link)

and:

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/th ... hink-again
Think the Crisis Is Over? Think Again!
Submitted by Phoenix Capital Research on 08/17/2011 16:24 -0400

As much as the mainstream financial media likes to pretend that the financial crisis is over, unfortunately it isn’t. In fact, what’s going to happen next will very likely make 2008 look like a joke.

There is one simple reason for this: the “Fed” safety net that pulled the markets back from the brink is gone. (more at link)

"My oh my, what a lively day"
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Chavez demands physical delivery

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm

For the first time since I learned of the existence of Hugo Chavez, I think I like the guy for what he's doing.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 pm

I see a plane crash in Hugo's future........
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Interesting stuff. Chavez (or his advisors, or handlers, at least) are just cagey enough to be doing this on purpose, with an eye to bringing on a crash, on purpose.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Hugo Chavez has half a brain in his head (unlike our our representatives).

Ruthless dictator or not. the man is not a clown. he is very intelligent, very aware of the economic realities.

We should hire him as an economic adviser.

But he is the devil because he exploits the economic resources of his country.

Political ideology aside: he is a fierce competitor in the hemisphere, and will be a huge problem for us in the future.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Watch him speak some time. He is a lunatic. A very intelligent and ruthless nutcase.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I understand that one's need to take physical delivery of PMs is the last thing surviving to go before the onset of total insanity. The guy is a certified lunatic, but still has a few rational brain cells left. Only thing, I would've demanded the return of my gold long before this. Why did you wait so long, Hugo?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Crazy like a fox is how my hill-billy father describes people like Chavez. You might think they are nuts, but they are actually cool and calculating. Everything is just acting for the camera.

And is it true that Chavez opposed the implementation of the Amero as a Western Hemisphere currency? I've heard rumors...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm

99 TONS? I'm surprized that a country like Venezuela has what? 5 billion in gold? It will be interesting to see if they can get it all back.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Crazy like a fox is how my hill-billy father describes people like Chavez. You might think they are nuts, but they are actually cool and calculating. Everything is just acting for the camera.

And is it true that Chavez opposed the implementation of the Amero as a Western Hemisphere currency? I've heard rumors...

Dismissing Chavez as a 'lunatic" is a huge mistake, a cop out and an easy way to avoid the reality: The US is represented by incompetent slobs on a payroll backed by paper that is backed by the future misery of all WORKING Americans.

We suck!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:55 pm

theo wrote:99 TONS? I'm surprized that a country like Venezuela has what? 5 billion in gold? It will be interesting to see if they can get it all back.

OIL = GOLD
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I'll bet Chavez will be described as a lunatic for taking delivery.
Thogey

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:35 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:
theo wrote:99 TONS? I'm surprized that a country like Venezuela has what? 5 billion in gold? It will be interesting to see if they can get it all back.

OIL = GOLD

Exactly, oil = gold. 5 billion is just the beginning of what this guy could procure in gold if he chose to do so. Thogey is spot on as well. We need to keep an eye on this guy. Sure he seems a little nuts, but he can really raise some hell if he wants. He's a sharp one. Probably a sociopath. Come on CIA, where are your balls?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 am

Here's an article with more specifics and some broader discussion on what he's doing

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... 3L20110817
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:12 am

Political ideology aside: he is a fierce competitor in the hemisphere, and will be a huge problem for us in the future.

If the cancer doesnt get him first.

Was reading about this earlier. Said this is going to make his government a lot less transparent which in turn is going to skyrocket the countries borrowing cost. Definately trying to engineer a economic crash with this stunt.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 am

Venezuela did not get that gold under Chavez, and Chavez cannot steal it while it is out of country in a foreign bank.

And I do not "dismiss" him as a nutcase. He is very dangerously insane, even under the facade of lunacy.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 pm

"Mr Chávez has rejected doubts over whether the Venezuelan central bank has sufficient vault space to store 365.8 tonnes. “If there isn’t enough room to store the gold in the central bank vaults, I can lend you the basement of the Miraflores presidential palace,” he said."

Yeah, I'll bet you would!
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

just another article about chavez

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1314018000.php

from the article...

" 40 shipments will be needed to carry the 17,000 400oz bars by sea. Piracy must be a real concern given the value of the bullion and Venezuala should ensure that the shipment is well protected. " :shock:

in my minds eye i can see it all loaded up in old time pirates chests !

thats a whole bunch of gold
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 pm

The mass media gives Chavez so much crap, yet his countries gold was in WESTERN banks.

Surprised? Never!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Next they are going to tell us that al queda, and Kim Jong are pulling out of western banks. That's when the REAL financial crisis occurs.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Crazy like a fox is how my hill-billy father describes people like Chavez. You might think they are nuts, but they are actually cool and calculating. Everything is just acting for the camera.

Rejected the amero? Took physical delivery? Doesn't sound all that crazy to me.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 pm

aloneibreak wrote:just another article about chavez

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1314018000.php

from the article...

" 40 shipments will be needed to carry the 17,000 400oz bars by sea. Piracy must be a real concern given the value of the bullion and Venezuala should ensure that the shipment is well protected. " :shock:

in my minds eye i can see it all loaded up in old time pirates chests !

thats a whole bunch of gold

Yaaaaaarrrrrrr matey! :mrgreen:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 am

John_doe wrote:
aloneibreak wrote:Piracy must be a real concern

Yaaaaaaaarrrr! Oh wait, I'm the wrong kind of pirate! I specialize in VHS, maybe
some bittorrent. ;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:27 am

fansubs_ca wrote:
John_doe wrote:
aloneibreak wrote:Piracy must be a real concern

Yaaaaaaaarrrr! Oh wait, I'm the wrong kind of pirate! I specialize in VHS, maybe
some bittorrent. ;)

You pirate VHS? What is this 1989? :D ;)
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Redneck » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Saw this comment on another site...

First the funny part.

Telegram

To: H. Chavez

RE: Gold on Deposit

Your Gold was available for pick-up. It was located in our vault in Tripoli but has been stolen. We suggest you call your insurance company. Our warranty does not cover civil unrest. Sorry about that.

Have a Nice Day

The sad part is that I can actually see them trying to do this...

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions