Hurricane Irene

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Hurricane Irene

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 am

The gold stored at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is secured in a most unusual vault. It rests on the bedrock of Manhattan Island—one of the few foundations considered adequate to support the weight of the vault, its door, and the gold inside—80 feet below street level and 50 feet below sea level.

In early 2008, the Fed’s vault contained roughly 216 million troy ounces of gold representing about 22 percent of the world’s official monetary gold reserves.

What happens if all this is underwater, literally?
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Hurricane Irene

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 am

According to New York City's Office of Emergency Management, the last hurricane to pass directly over the city was in 1821 -- and it caused tides to rise 13 feet in one hour, flooding all of lower Manhattan to Canal St.

But for Long Island, the threat is much worse. People still talk about the Long Island Express of 1938, a Category 3 storm that the U.S. government has said would cause $40 billion in damage if it hit today.

http://news.yahoo.com/threat-irene-expo ... 00963.html
Copper Catcher

Postby fasteddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 am

Hey CC The gold will still be there, if it is there now. After Hurricane Ike here in TX my cousin lost his complete house...nothing but the slab has left...his weight set was still where they were in his room but no room was left(slab only)...no carpet or padding was under the weights....In 2001 Houston flooded due to Allison....entire downtown tunnels filled up...if this storm does what it is looking to do, I would be leaving the NYC area for sure.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am

Another area would be West Point, NY

You can see the amount of gold there too....
http://www.fms.treas.gov/gold/current.html
Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 am

I know the gold will be there.....but if all of a sudden access to 25% of the gold in the world was untouchable for a period of time it would prove to be interesting to say the least.
Copper Catcher

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

sounds like a James Bond film.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Ya, she looks pretty brutal when I went to the beach today...and we are only getting rain bands...

Definite beach erosion...

If anyone is in the target area....LEAVE (especially if she is still a 3 when she gets north...but even a high 2 would be really bad)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby timmus0382 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I cant even say what I want to say about this storm and NYC
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 pm

First an earthquate 50 miles from me, and now I'm in the track of the worst hurricane to hit the East Coast and Virginia in a generation. Yikes!!! :shock:

I hope the Lord will spare many from harm here in Virginia and elsewhere.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:sounds like a James Bond film.

I'm heading to NYC w/ my scuba gear and an underwater cutting torch!

Probably better off scouring the lakes of south america :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:sounds like a James Bond film.

I'm heading to NYC w/ my scuba gear and an underwater cutting torch!

:lol: Don't forget your friends here at realcent after you come across that sunken treasure.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 am

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 am

Copper Catcher wrote:In early 2008, the Fed’s vault contained roughly 216 million troy ounces of gold representing about 22 percent of the world’s official monetary gold reserves.

What happens if all this is underwater, literally?

No wonder I'm a fan of subs! :lol:

Also somebody at Silverseek will fullfill the prophesy of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWpdcR63ms
(Language warning. ;) )

Just substitute "Federal Reserve vault" for "your house" and "Hurricane" for "Twister".
Those who've been there know who and what I'm refering to. ;)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby narragansett » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm

This storm is bad but I find that the weather channel has the tendency to sensationalize storms. The 2ND graphic showing the EXTREME THREAT LEVEL seems to be overstated. They are carrying that extreme level way too far west into NY state unless the path has changed drastically in the last couple hours. I live near the NY border , about 45 miles from Albany & they are predicting only 2-4 in. of precip.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 pm

To all in her path good luck stay safe and if you can post here and let us know how it is going. Not many Hurricanes in So AZ!!
hobo finds

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:05 pm

We are through the worst and it is moving northward. VA, DC & New York look out! Across eastern NC there is lots of wind damage, flooding and power outages. Tomorrow will be an interesting day...
Copper Catcher

Postby Country » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:We are through the worst and it is moving northward. VA, DC & New York look out! Across eastern NC there is lots of wind damage, flooding and power outages. Tomorrow will be an interesting day...

You bet!! We're getting hit hard here in Virginia...

Anybody get hit with tornados yet?

Got my chainsaw ready for tomorrow...
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Country wrote:
Copper Catcher wrote:We are through the worst and it is moving northward. VA, DC & New York look out! Across eastern NC there is lots of wind damage, flooding and power outages. Tomorrow will be an interesting day...

You bet!! We're getting hit hard here in Virginia...

Anybody get hit with tornados yet?

Got my chainsaw ready for tomorrow...

Unconfirmed reports of tornado(s) in Lewes DE between 5:30-6:30pm.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby warthog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:I know the gold will be there.....but if all of a sudden access to 25% of the gold in the world was untouchable for a period of time it would prove to be interesting to say the least.

Dear Mr Chavez,
Due to circumstances completely beyond our control we are unable to fulfill your gold bullion order at this time.

- JPM
warthog

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:06 pm

We are getting rain here in northern Delaware like I have never seen. And the eye is still about 140 miles south of me. Floor drain in the basement got clogged up, and there was 2 inches of water in much of the basement. I took the cover off and the water starting draining, but I'm afraid to go to sleep incase the water starts coming up out of the drain.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:25 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I know the gold will be there.....but if all of a sudden access to 25% of the gold in the world was untouchable for a period of time it would prove to be interesting to say the least.

for the young pups out there, the 1960s film Goldfinger had as its premise a gold bug bad guy interested in Fort Knox. one of the plot twists was that instead of trying to steal the gold in fort knox, he only wanted to irradiate and make it useless, thereby making his radiation-free gold more valuable.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Lost power 10PM last night. Everyone within a mile of me has lost power too. I've been on my Generator Power for 19 straight hours as of now. A big old 50' tree in the forest keeled over and took down the power line that runs from the road to my house. I chain sawed away a few small trees that came down across my 1/5 mile dirt driveway this morning. The driveway goes through the woods and I thought more trees would come down. I'm glad it was a Category 1 hurricane instead of the originally predicted Category 3. That would have been a mess!

It might be a few days to get power back here in Virginia. When we had Hurricane Isabel in 2003 here at my Virginia location, it took 5 days to get power back.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Still out of power. :? Going on 3 days now; could be a week before I get power back....

Please bear with me updating those coin stats.... Thanks... :)
Country
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions