Greece leaves Euro; old Drachma or new Drachma?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Greece leaves Euro; old Drachma or new Drachma?

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 pm

What do you think the chances are now that Greece will leave the Eurozone and go back to the drachma?

If they leave, will they go back to the Drachma pre-Euro or would they come out with a new demonitized Drachma?

I've come across some Greek Drachma coins going through dealer's foreign bins and always bought them; just curious if there is an opportunity to stack them and make a profit??
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Greece leaves Euro; old Drachma or new Drachma?

Postby agmoose » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Interesting thought on acquiring some via the foreign bin on the off chance they end up with some value.

I'd imagine they'd revert to the drachma, but somehow the values would probably need to be adjusted/revalued. I'm not sure if I'd say they are leaving the Euro or being kicked out - I guess it depends on thier public vote. Seems that many would just as soon kick them out than deal with them any longer. Just my .02 from afar though.......
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 am

Pennysaved wrote:What do you think the chances are now that Greece will leave the Eurozone and go back to the drachma?

If they leave, will they go back to the Drachma pre-Euro or would they come out with a new demonitized Drachma?

I've come across some Greek Drachma coins going through dealer's foreign bins and always bought them; just curious if there is an opportunity to stack them and make a profit??

That is a great idea! I was wondering the same thing. How could you find out if they are going back to the old Drachma? There is wealth to be made if you could answer that question.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:20 am

I don't think the Drachma will have any value no matter what Greece does.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:57 am

They were demonetized already with the move to the euro. What you have is of numismatic value only. A new currency unrelated to the old drachma would have to be created. They could call it drachmas or whatever they want, but the old ones won't be useable.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

If you're going to do this as an investment, why not just short the euro? In the event of greece leaving, due to the domino effect, it will lose 50-60% of it's value. and if you're trading on 50:1 margin like most Forex accounts, it's some good money.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Greece is going nowhere.......A bailout will happen whether folks vote for it or not.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 am

several european countries may leave the euro. they'll start their own currency and it could be called drachma, lira, deutsche marks, whatever. but the old ones will not become money again. the new ones will look different. there will be no windfall for the people holding the demonetized notes.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 am

Has Greece, Italy, Germany, France, etc. kept or destroyed the old coins? If Greece has vaults full of drachma already, why not use them? It'll take a while to get enough coins minted for commerce. Of course, Greeks could still accept the Euro even though it isn't technically the currency of the country after leaving the Eurozone.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cupronickel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Demonetized money is never brought back to life. The new currency may look like, smell like, and sound like the old currency, but only the new currency may be used. The whole point of the new currency is so that they can print as much as they want. It would make no sense to allow the old stuff back.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions