Anti-Democratic EU Leaders?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Anti-Democratic EU Leaders?

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:52 am

This question is just a joke... Just because it is the EU and not Arab state. Is the UN and US going to invade Europe to "promote democracy" and ensure there is a Greek referendum? All the EU leaders are agains the Greek leaders decision to hold a democratic referendum. Are they all against democracy? And if so, at what point would we classify them as dictators?
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Anti-Democratic EU Leaders?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

Of course Greece has a RIGHT to do this, but they also have a right to be idiots, and apparently they are fully exercising this latter right. No, that's not fair, they aren't idiots, they are sheeple. They don't want to work for a living - they want someone else to give them all they need, while they live a cushy comfortable life working <40 hours a week, taking 4-6 weeks vacation, and retiring in their youth with full pension.

As to the government itself, the Greek government is supposed to be a representative democracy, not a full democracy, and with that the representatives (who are ultimately responsible to the people) need to do what is best for the whole in the long-term, not for the part in the short-term. However, the government has abrogated that responsiblity in this decision for a referendum, and they did that out of cowardice. I would love to be surprised, but the outcome of the referendum is fairly certain - the people will vote for what they think they deserve, not what they should get. Rioting in the streets will continue to escalate either way, until the military has to take control and declare martial law.

[Editorially corrected]
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 am

As to the more pointed question of the US (and now the EU) being the world police... Wow, that's a excellent topic, and could be long and difficult and involved. Frankly, I'm way past the US continuing to do that. We have no official mandate for this. We haven't always done it well. And I wish I knew how we could stop it without creating a massive set of knock-on unintended consequences. But the topic is far more complicated than it may appear on the surface. This subject is way more than I have the energy to tackle today. But I'm personally fine with letting dictators be dictators, and staying out of their business, generally.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby sparechange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Dictators are merely puppets for the banksters.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:59 am

sparechange wrote:Dictators are merely puppets for the banksters.

"If my sons did not want wars, there would be none."

Gutle Schnaper, Mayer Amschel Rothschild's wife
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions