Sewing Machine Advice Wanted - Any experts?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Sewing Machine Advice Wanted - Any experts?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Is anyone on here sewing machine savvy? I want to pick up a decent unit for my wife and I am totally overwhelmed. I want something that will last a long time. I was considering something slightly used if it will save me some money and enable me to get into a higher quality unit that would be out of my price range new. I was hoping to keep it at $500 or less if that is possible. Any advice on what is good or what to avoid? It's just for general stuff. Patching jeans, making halloween outfits. The occasional quilt and stuff. This is not a big hobby of hers. She has an older Singer that is not high end and it is breaking needles. Rather than spend an arm and a leg for a tune up I was thinking of upgrading for her.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sewing Machine Advice Wanted - Any experts?

Postby Mossy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:12 pm

I won't call myself an expert, but there are instructions on the net about tuning/rebuilding sewing machines. (Fun thing I ran across was a list of people with patents related to sewing machines. Looked like about 99% were women.)

My main machine is a SailRite LSZ-1 ($900 new). That's a zig-zag walking foot machine that can darn near drive the needle through quarter inch plywood. I've sewn thru 9 layers of Sunbrella (a bit denser than new denim) with just a little slowdown, but that's with the cast iron flywheel. The LS-1 ($500 new) is the same machine without the zig-zag. I also have a SailRite Sail Maker Apprentice (was $250), a clone of an older style Singer from about 1950. Pretty good machine, not as powerful as the LSZ, which is why I got the LSZ.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks mossy!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 pm

You're welcom.

Just keep in mind that you never get more than you pay for, but often get less than you pay for. Fake SailRites are worth half what you pay for them.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm

I have a sewing machine. There, I said it. It is a Singer, however I dont know the model...Years ago I was making stunt kits and the handles to go with them....the strapping used for the handles is nylon braided similar to horse bridles, folded over three times...I took this material to the shop and the owner took me right on over to this Singer, it sewd with ease. Brought that unit home and made thousands of stunt handles...nice hobby that paid for my other hobbies...anyway now that I am rambling....I took that machine to get a tuneup so I could sew up my neighbors bikini top...no kidding...she can make a great cherry pie but cant sew. Any way the tune up was only 75 bucks. Your machine sounds like it is out of time...look into the tuneup it may not be that bad.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Alright, I think I'll look into tuning this one up or paying to get it done. Now I need another birthday idea. Anyone selling any gold jewelry? :D
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm not really a seweing expert... but I do have multiple degrees in textiles manufacturing. ;) Just to give some background...

Anyhow... A good singer will do you fine. It's like buying a glock of the sewing machine world. If your looking for quilting... research baby-locs. Basically... it depends on the stitch you are going for. Simple repairs? A good singer. Quilting? A baby loc. Complex stitching? Depends... Wal mart sells some interesting USB pattern loading stuff these days if your goin for basic embrodery.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:25 pm

My Wife is into Quilting an sews a lot. Her current machine is a Janome but she has a Viking that she uses for fixing Levies an that type of sewing an she is happy with one she bought used for $400. It replaced a Viking she originally bought new in 1972 which she passed on to Our younger Son.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About