Storing Gas

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Storing Gas

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Anyone here storing gas? I see some 500 Gallon Fuel Tanks selling for $1,500 with trailer, even less if above ground/in ground. Don't know much about this, doesn't gas go bad? I use 345 gallons a year, and only expect gas to go up in price.
Also, I believe gas is seasonal so if I could buy all my gas for the year in feb, that would be great. I should start to see a return in 3 to 5 years, I am thinking.

Anyone doing this?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Storing Gas

Postby fasteddy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:49 pm

yes and I also store diesel and well stocked in oil and transmission fluid...hurricanes....must be prepared. There was a thread a while back but I think it was on the old RC.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks Fasteddy,
Do you live in a city or a more rural location?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:44 pm

metropolitan area...6 million people....after hurricane Ike...gas lines were sometimes a mile long due to the lack of electricity..however no lines at the diesel pumps. I have always used Sta-bil now I use the marine version of Sta-bil for all equipment except for the most active vehicles.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 pm

how big is your tank for non diesel?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Two 55 gallon drums...still portable but not that portable...but 350 gallon tank for the diesel...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Check the laws. In one state, I forget which, the fuel farm would fill you up without saying anything, then call the cops as you left, if you did not have a DOT approved tank. Some towns also throw a fit.

I've used gas several years old, stored in a cool place in the woods, no trouble. Stabilizer is a good idea, anyhow. Alcohol in the gas might be a problem.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:25 am

I am thinking maybe I will just trade oil only. I like the idea of being prepared but my house is within walking distance of everything I need. I also like the idea of saving money on gas, but I am thinking I will buy a diesel SUV when I need one (hopefully not for 2 or 3 years), Once I am burning diesel I will look into storage again
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 am

Be careful storing ethanol blended gas in metal containers or leaving it in your small engines for a long time. The ethanol blends with water, which in turn corrodes metal. Last summer I couldn't get my motorcycle to run, and when I took off the carburetor bowl, the needle valves were covered in rust.

I always try to run small engines out of fuel before putting them into storage, and after seeing what ethanol did to my motorcycle, I only feed them unblended fuel.

I usually keep 20 gallons of gas stored in unvented plastic fuel cans. I rotate them out every year just to keep them fresh, and the gas is still good.

If you don't have any Stabil, adding a little diesel to your tank will help to prevent varnish.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby No82s » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 am

Not sure where you live, but in the northern states there are some big variations in the vapor pressure of the gasoline depending on the season. In the winter it is high so that your car will start in the cold weather. They make it high by adding butane to the gasoline. At the cold temps the butane will stay liquid and not gas off. If this same gasoline were to be used in the summer you would probably lose a lot of that to evaporation. If stored it can bulge storage containers as the temperature increases and depending on the storage container, actually break it open.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby mnymgr1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 am

I would not store gasoline or diesel for long periods of time. But if you're going to use it in your farm equipment and vehicles during a calendar year, might make sense to do so. Saves you the hassle of visiting a gas station 6-12 times per month too, gotta figure that into your cost savings.
If you're rural and looking to store energy, might want to check into natural gas storage. NG is super cheap right now imho and you can buy a NG generator for emergencies too. If I had a big farm and the money, I'd have several of those super sized cylinders all filled to the top with NG right now.
good luck
mnymgr1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Bluegill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

I store gas. Not because of future rising prices, but for availability. When the power goes out, you can't buy it at any price. When you find a station with back up generators, they ration it. The big power outage in 2003 demonstrated that in full in my area.

I use 5 gallon approved plastic gas cans. 12 of them, gives me 60 gallons, fills my truck twice. Also no problems with filling them at a gas station. I rotate the gas out every 6 months to keep it fresh. As far as I'm aware the northern climates still get seasonal blends. Rotating it helps keep the stored fuel appropriate for the season.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I bought a gas can recently. It was one of the "! NEW !!! IMPROVED !!! " types. Major pain in the butt.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:23 pm

I have spilled more gas with the last 5 designs of the New and Improved spouts than I ever did as a 14 year old with a lawnmowing service, using the screw-on top 1 gallon cans and a funnel. And I was always in a hurry back then.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:10 am

No82s wrote:Not sure where you live, but in the northern states there are some big variations in the vapor pressure of the gasoline depending on the season. In the winter it is high so that your car will start in the cold weather. They make it high by adding butane to the gasoline. At the cold temps the butane will stay liquid and not gas off. If this same gasoline were to be used in the summer you would probably lose a lot of that to evaporation. If stored it can bulge storage containers as the temperature increases and depending on the storage container, actually break it open.

I noticed the difference when my jerry cans looked like they were going to eplode from the pressure. Im not going to fill them up untill it warms up a bit. I dont want any issues when storing my gas.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:01 am

Another idea might be a pre purchase gas card... i.e. lock in the price now.

I have not looked into this and just found the site myself and starting to read about it:
http://www.mygallons.com/
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rosco » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Pre purchase Gas Card :?:

:shock: I think this shows good intentions but I fear a B Madoff here :twisted:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 am

Rosco wrote::shock: I think this shows good intentions but I fear a B Madoff here :twisted:

It looked a little scary to me too, and wouldn't help much if TSHTF.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justicious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 pm

new gas cans are a pain!
justicious

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About