Do you have a plan to Cook all the Food in your Refigerator

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Do you have a plan to Cook all the Food in your Refigerator

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

We have 1 Chest Freezer 1 Big Upright Refrigerator 1 upright freezer and 1 upright refrigerator/freezer.

We do this to take advantage of sales and have plenty of meat and beer. My house is all electric so....

I was just thinking, if I loose power for an extended period I better have a plan to cook a lot of food in short order.

I guess I will have to use propane smoker, grill, turkey fryer. I have all three but no plan. Just something to think about
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Do you have a plan to Cook all the Food in your Refigera

Postby Rosco » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 am

:?: How will You Cook the BEER :lol: :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:54 am

No plan for it, but good idea for those without power backup. I have a 20KW autostart LP generator, and a 5KW gas backup, which should at least get me through a long enough power gap to ensure perishable food is cooked and eaten.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 am

Hey Thogey the plan is to buy a small generator for a few hundred bucks....cuz you know you have alot more than $500 in food those coolers. During hurricane Ike we did not have to cook any of our food...we cooked the neighbors food as they were trading their fine cuts of meats for ice to keep thier necessities cold.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Duck blind propane stove, pressure canner, and a bunch of jars?

Trouble with that is everything ends up tasting like it should be in a stew.

I'd get the extra genny set. Honda 2000 are going for about $1K, that's about 2KW surge draw or 1.5KW running.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:10 pm

You don't have to heat 2 leftover cheese coneys and ahh, I think that uesd to be, once upon a time, a White Castle cheeseburger. Emmm, health food. :shock:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 pm

I keep extra bottles of propane for the grill, and a can of gas for the generator for that type of situation. The gas gets rotated into smaller cans for the lawnmower, etc. to keep it fresh.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 am

Had a grid down scenario for two weeks after a hurricane in Houston area a few years back. I had a generator that I rotated with neighbors for a few hours each day and that was enough to keep freezers and refrig at temp as long as I didn't open and close too much. You can also throw heavy quilts over the freezer to help insulate(take off when running though), will extend the time that freezer will stay cold and frozen. I kept some block ice in a igloo cooler wrapped in heavy blankets for over a week on a trip I took(hardly melted), secret is to not open much if possible. I have over 700lbs meat frozen so cooking some will work, but will end up feeding neighbors if gas or gen fails.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About