HONEY!

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

HONEY!

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:07 pm

RAW HONEY IS NOW $20 PER QUART IN MY CITY!!!! :o :shock:

A pint is $12.00.

The man selling his raw honey said it was because of too many environmental pressures on honey bees. The majority are dead now. He listed too many pests for me to list here.

Colony collapse disorder
Predatory moths
Predatory mites
Insecticides
Urbanization
Climate change
Africanized Bees

What are the prices of honey in your city? :?:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: HONEY!

Postby Kurr » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:17 pm

$16 for a 2lb bottle is what we get raw honey for, filtered no comb.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Recently, on a visit to my dad just outside of Houston, I bought a quart of some local honey for $15.

My grandfather was a beekeeper until he passed away. I used to help him in the spring when they swarmed and later when he robbed the hives. Good memories. Honey was essentially free then. We didn't wear protective clothing at all. Got stung almost everytime, but I still like honey.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:59 am

When I finally get that acreage I have always wanted, I am starting some hives of my own. :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:04 pm

How much do you guys want?? We sell a 2# jar for $9.00

It isn't "organic", but I don't use any chemicals on my bees. I am not big enough to mess around with certification and I see what a game it is with the other farms I work on.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm

knibloe wrote:How much do you guys want?? We sell a 2# jar for $9.00

It isn't "organic", but I don't use any chemicals on my bees. I am not big enough to mess around with certification and I see what a game it is with the other farms I work on.

The weight of honey does not compute. How many ounces is that? What color is your honey (the stuff made by your bees, not your wife)? What is the main source of pollen for your bees?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:33 pm

I have always thought it would be cool to get some bees. I have plenty of space. The whole area around me is wooded. Mix of pine and hardwood. How much should it cost for a respectable setup? How much time is involved? I am looking for maximum profit with minimal effort :lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:14 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

The weight of honey does not compute. How many ounces is that? What color is your honey (the stuff made by your bees, not your wife)? What is the main source of pollen for your bees?

According to the Bee Honey unit conversion calculator (before you laugh, there actually is such a thing - see below) 2 pounds of honey is just over 21 fluid ounces.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversi ... ments.html
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby mbailey1234 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Just bought several 24 oz containers at Wally World before Thanksgiving to brine turkeys in for like $5.19 each.

Local organic is about 3x that price.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 pm

68Camaro wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

According to the Bee Honey unit conversion calculator (before you laugh, there actually is such a thing - see below) 2 pounds of honey is just over 21 fluid ounces.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversi ... ments.html

Cool. Thanks!
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

Honey is sold by weight not volume. But the calculation listed below is correct. My honey varies in color. This year it is fairly dark. last year it was very light. The main sources of nectar for the honey that I extract are the late summer (clover) and fall flowers (Goldenrod, Aster and this year bamboo).The bamboo is what gave it the darker color this year. The aster is very prone to crystalization. However, it is a ver fine crystal. That is what I use to make my creamed honey.

Pollen is a different story. I have been thinking about collecting pollen from my bees for the last couple of years, but have not done it yet.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Okay, I am learning some things here. How many pounds are normally in a quart?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:15 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Okay, I am learning some things here. How many pounds are normally in a quart?

The density of honey is 1.36g/cc.

That would translate to 2.84 pounds/quart.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 am

Engineer wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Okay, I am learning some things here. How many pounds are normally in a quart?

The density of honey is 1.36g/cc.

That would translate to 2.84 pounds/quart.

Alright then, what is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow searching for honeybees?

swallow.png
swallow.png (69.45 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 am

shinnosuke wrote:Alright then, what is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow searching for honeybees?

swallow.png

What do you mean? An African swallow, or a European swallow? (Tosses shinnosuke off the bridge) :mrgreen:

11 meters per second. (Yep...I really was anal enough to look that up :roll: )

Now for the important question of the night:

The motion of silver is affected by magnetic fields, so does that mean it'll heat up on an induction cooktop?

I ask for sciencey reasons, and don't tell my wife that I'm plotting kitchen chemistry experiments again. She's still upset about the time I took the weight off her pressure cooker while it was full of chili. :shock:

It made a wonderful, glorious mess! :mrgreen:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:26 pm

mbailey1234 wrote:Just bought several 24 oz containers at Wally World before Thanksgiving to brine turkeys in for like $5.19 each.

Check the ingredients. It may not be all honey.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Engineer wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Alright then, what is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow searching for honeybees?

swallow.png

What do you mean? An African swallow, or a European swallow? (Tosses shinnosuke off the bridge) :mrgreen:

Now for the important question of the night:

The motion of silver is affected by magnetic fields, so does that mean it'll heat up on an induction cooktop?

I ask for sciencey reasons, and don't tell my wife that I'm plotting kitchen chemistry experiments again. She's still upset about the time I took the weight off her pressure cooker while it was full of chili. :shock:

It made a wonderful, glorious mess! :mrgreen:

I guess you're going to have to answer your own question. Me and science don't get along so I have no idea.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justoneguy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm

NHsorter wrote:I have always thought it would be cool to get some bees. I have plenty of space. The whole area around me is wooded. Mix of pine and hardwood. How much should it cost for a respectable setup? How much time is involved? I am looking for maximum profit with minimal effort :lol:

My 2 brothers and I, each kicked in $100 [$300 total] for my sister to buy a hive this spring.
she had to go out and capture [relocate] her own bees.
I'll have to ask her how much honey she gets
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

justoneguy wrote:
NHsorter wrote:I have always thought it would be cool to get some bees. I have plenty of space. The whole area around me is wooded. Mix of pine and hardwood. How much should it cost for a respectable setup? How much time is involved? I am looking for maximum profit with minimal effort :lol:

My 2 brothers and I, each kicked in $100 [$300 total] for my sister to buy a hive this spring.
she had to go out and capture [relocate] her own bees.
I'll have to ask her how much honey she gets

My recommendation is to start with at least two hives.
1. It doesn't take any more time to care for two as it does one.
2. If you lose a hive, you can split the remaining hive in the spring to have two hive again.
3. If you lose the queen in one hive as I did one time (accidentally squished her when trying to remove her from the hive to take her to show and tell at my sons school). You can take brood out of the second hive, out it in with the workers from the queenless hive and they will raise a new queen.

In regards to honey weight vs volume, I figure that there are 11.5 pounds in a gallon. That works out to 2.8# per quart. If the customer provides the jar, i sell it for $35 per gallon. I average 50-70# per hive per year.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am

Engineer wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

African or European?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:19 am

European. :oops:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 am

About 4 months ago I bought some locally for $13 a quart jar.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:16 pm

A local-based grocer has "pure unheated" clover honey from a local producer for $55 for a 12-pound container. It doesn't say it's organic. How does that price compare to other parts of the country? (I'm in the Midwest.)
Nickelless

Postby knibloe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Nickelless wrote:A local-based grocer has "pure unheated" clover honey from a local producer for $55 for a 12-pound container. It doesn't say it's organic. How does that price compare to other parts of the country? (I'm in the Midwest.)

That sounds high. 12# is a little more than a gallon. I sell a gallon for $35
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 am

knibloe wrote:
Nickelless wrote:A local-based grocer has "pure unheated" clover honey from a local producer for $55 for a 12-pound container. It doesn't say it's organic. How does that price compare to other parts of the country? (I'm in the Midwest.)

That sounds high. 12# is a little more than a gallon. I sell a gallon for $35

$55 is the price at the grocery store, not the price directly from the producer. I'll see what price the producer charges for direct purchase.
Nickelless

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About