Positive Media Portrayal of Prepers

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Positive Media Portrayal of Prepers

Postby Silversound » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Sometimes, especially as someone rather new to the prepping world, I feel a little kooky about buying and saving preps - especially since there is a lot of "bunker-digging, tin-foil" portrayal of people who prep and store food in the media and general public.
We watch our neighbors kids from time to time and while they're here they watch the cartoon Arthur on PBS. Today's episode caught my attention because in it the lights went out and Arthur's family was not prepared, however their neighbor was. The neighbor was portrayed in a very positive light as a responsible person and taught the importance of being prepared and how/what to prepare. I found the episode reassuring and educational and thought I would post a Youtube link to it here so that others could see a positive portrayal of prepers in the media as well as have a good resource for teaching/introducing the idea and importance of being prepared to children and family members. Also, if anyone else has other examples of positive media portrayal of people who prep then feel free to post it here.

Part 1, where they set up the story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B402Gfwp5yc
Part 2: Where they meet their prepared neighbor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QrgrWc1yIw

Sound.
Silversound

Re: Positive Media Portrayal of Prepers

Postby justoneguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

that neighbor's basement looks very familar. :P
I have the hand crank radio + crank lantern too.
but i also have a bunch of those solar yard lights,
aa bateries are inside the units i own + you can use those batteries in anything
+ they're always a way to charge them
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Positive Media Portrayal of Prepers

Postby Caridad » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 pm

i enjoyed watching the episode. it was divided well on youtube. pay attention to the ignorants posting. omg!! ignoramuses! from racial to survival prejudices.
Caridad
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About