Storing gas and oils

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Storing gas and oils

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 pm

There are alot of people here who believe real money (PM's) are good to hold because if something happens to our way of living they will have real money to buy and trade. A very useful commodity in our society is gasoline. Gas will probibly be priceless when our society runs out of it. The pipelines will be closed off and what is left will be highly coveted. Im just curious to know if anyone on here stores / hoards gasoline or oils. I know it would take a large cost to create to storage facility but it might be very usefull to have these fluids when they are scarce.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Storing gas and oils

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:28 pm

I think Gasoline has a deterioration rate that makes long term storage problematic.

Any oil men care to chine in.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 am

Rodebaugh wrote:I think Gasoline has a deterioration rate that makes long term storage problematic.

Any oil men care to chine in.

Yeah, that's the impression I get from reading Rawles.

Maybe storing raw crude would be the way to go, but goodness knows how one would self-refine!
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecam111 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:27 am

There was a show on Nat Geo channel a few months ago about the world without oil. and they said how after about a year people would start begin using their safety oil supply for emergencies etc... and it wouldnt work.

cam
thecam111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby abe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 am

I usually keep 5 gallons on hand for the generator and thats it. I was told gas doesn't store well like it did in the past because of the ethynol in it. And I've had small engine mechanics tell me that their business's are really booming because of this ethynol. They all say its no good for small engines. About 40 miles from me is a Cosco that used gas that didn't contain ethynol and people flocked to it because of that reason. Rescently they were forced to make the change despite public opinion.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 am

Ethynol is said to be bad for small engines. I am a member on another forum where they discuss the effects of ethynol on chainsaws.

Not sure how long gas holds up with stabilizer, but long term storage is an issue with gas.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 am

I use stabilizer for all my small engines and for the vehicles that I do not drive on a routine basis...never had a problem...my four wheeler is 19 years old and it will start right up after sitting for months at a time. Allthough I do rotate the gas...I try not to store longer than twelve months but have gone longer on one of my generators and it even cranked up with two year gas. i dont believe there is long term storage for gasoline...short term maybe two years...with stabilizer but if you implemented a rotation you could always have usable gasoline available. After hurricane Ike the gas lines were excessive as in nearly a mile long...but I could drive right up to the diesel pump and fill.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I stored gas with stabil in it for 9 years before hurricane Rita came along.

we ran the generator non stop for days, with 65 gallon through it, and 2 oil and

filter changes.

it never sputered the first time.

I did have triple the amount of stabil that they recommend, and in 2 plastic barrels.

it did really good, but I didn`t know what it would do, but at that time I had no

choice.

I don`t know if it would do it with ethanol in the gas, but I will find out when we

need gas again, good old STABIL, THANKS to Paul Harvey.

a small window unit air conditioner, all lights on, a TV with 1 station on.

GUESS WHERE ALL MY NEIGHBORS WENT ! :o they could not beleive it but they

have gas now too, with Stabil.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:55 pm

:shock: thats incredibe i knew stabil would keep gas fresh but 9 years thats great.I also think diesel will keep along time with no additives not sure how long but im sure some will chime in with that answer.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 pm

diesel will keep for a long time, I`am not sure how long, but it will get algae in it

then it is no good except for starting smokey fires.

I don`t know if Stabil will keep diesel fresh.

I have to buy a bottle and see, what is listed.

I hope to have a new diesel generator soon, like 2 weeks or less, but only if stabil,

works with diesel.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:44 pm

I think I remember diesel lasting about 10 years. I dont remember my source. It could be survivalblog.com
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 am

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Drill Baby Drill » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Gasoline will store for a good 2 years as long as you keep fuel stabilizer in it, Just stock up and keep a good rotation. I feel kind of wierd though always filling my truck up with 5 gallon jugs. I wonder what my neighbors think of me. LOL
Drill Baby Drill

Postby Delawhere Jack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that given the chance it will literally suck moisture out of the air. I keep 20 gallons on hand, mostly in old racing gas 5gal metal cans. One of the cans was only half full, and the plastic filler spout had some cracks in it. In my unheated workshop, over the course of a few months in the summer it absorbed enough water that when I dumped it in the Jeep it made the engine stumble something terrible. I managed to get to an Autozone store and got a bottle of gas drier (straigh ethanol). Put it in the tank, started the engine and within a minute it was running normally again.

I've chucked the can with the bad spout. I normally cycle the gas every 3-4 months. Pour it in Jeep and refill the cans.

My brother in laws grandson had an issue with gasohol in an AVT. It broke down the gas line which ended up clogging the carb. Kinda of strange since the ATV is only 4-5 years old. You'd think they would be built with lines that could tolerate the alcohol, but I saw the results myself. My brother in law now gets gas from a station that sells alcohol free gas for his and my sisters ATV's. You can find alcohol free gas as some marinas and airports, but you'll pay about a buck a gallon premium.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this site, but it might prove helpful.

http://pure-gas.org/
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby myspen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Frugalcanuck: You may consider operating on diesel. Get yourself a heating oil tank to store diesel fuel in. You could also use a 275 gallon tote however I would not recommend putting gasoline in a tote... you could literally have a bomb on your hands. :shock: You may also want to consider storing up used motor oil. Used oil can be run through a centrifuge and cleaned up to be used again. :mrgreen:
myspen

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About