Another Topic Concerning Water

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Another Topic Concerning Water

Postby Merwanseth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:03 pm

There is already a topic in the "Non-Metals Necessities And Things To Think About" forum titled: "How much drinking water do you currently have?"

That topic's intent, I believe, is to discuss "how much drinking water do you currently have?" stored up if a situation or disruption occurs. The problem could be anything from a brief power and water disruption, to a major WTSHTF situation. I've appreciated and learned from many of those posts. And I pretty much agree with those who suggest that in case of an emergency, one should have available at least one clean gallon of water a day, per person.

Although related, this new topic has a different intent concerning water. Regarding the topic described above, the intent was to have enough clean water to survive short or possibly long term disruptions. This new topic is not just "future-oriented" (meaning preparing to have enough water for some future disruption event). Instead, this topic is "present-oriented" and "health-oriented". By that I mean that, if we can educate ourselves regarding our health choices today, we will likely be in better shape to face life's disruptions if and as they occur in our future.

There are a vast number of health-related areas to learn about. Perhaps some of them will be discussed in this topic. The reason I am using "water" in the title, is to emphasize the importance, in my opinion, of water in relationship to overall health.

Having a gallon of water a day stored for some future event is great and shows responsibility and discipline. But what about today? Are we drinking either substandard water or not enough water every day? Are we drinking too much (fill in the blank) coffee, tea, beer, wine, soda, sports drinks, energy drinks, processed drinks, sugary drinks, diet drinks, etc., instead of water?

There has been a lot of research done by reputable scientists regarding the concept of "hydration". Many of the studies have suggested that there should be a minimum amount of clean water that everyone should drink per day, just to remain properly hydrated. And that none of the other beverages described above can be used, instead of water, to meet those proper hydration amounts. The most common figure I have seen over the years used to describe standards for healthy hydration in the adult body is: taking ones body weight, dividing by two, and changing that number into ounces. Thus, for a 150 pound person, drinking 75 ounces of clean water per day should be the goal for allowing the body's various organs and systems to effectively have appropriate and healthy metabolic activities occur.

Is this the only requirement for a healthful life? Obviously not. But without appropriate hydration, the physiology of virtually all cells, tissue, organs and systems will be compromised.

Although I'm a newbie, I realize that most of Realcent's forums and topics concern metals, hoarding, numismatics, responsibility, common sense, etc. But if we aren't healthy enough to act on what we need to concerning the economy and world events, then we won't be much help to ourselves and others. Thus, I hope this topic is within the concerns that many of the readers might have or wish to discuss.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Another Topic Concerning Water

Postby Nickelless » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:54 pm

I have enough drinking water for two people for a month, but I'd like to have three months worth (which would also be one month's worth for six people;)). I'm in the process of setting up rain collection barrels in the garage for other water needs.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Another Topic Concerning Water

Postby Rosco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 pm

We live in a small town with OK water that we filter then run thru a Softener then filter drinking water and refrigerator water an Ice cubes :lol:

all water put in to RV is filtered an used for washing an cooking the RV water we drink is filtered an often thru a reverse osmosis treatment :mrgreen:

Over kill but no water issues in 11 years of RV travel 4 months or more each year. We also buy some water bottles for individual use.

Home stocks are 12 gal for two old farts plus 15 gal wash an flush water.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About