The perfect pet for Preppers

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: The perfect pet for Preppers

Postby Treetop » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I had looked into rabbits, and decided guinea pigs were better... but now that i think about it more, diversity is good of course... I might try a few rabbits after thinking on it more. feed one exactly as I do the guniea pigs. another one i can feed the guinea pigs poop, and see how well it does on mainly that. Sounds gross I know, but its actually safe and a decent feed from all Ive read on it. If I could raise the rabbits on the poop only, then they need nothing but some space and water..... because i can feed a good amount of guinea pigs. feeding rabbits to, id need to cut back numbers and since GP is better meat, then might as well just stick with them at that point... but if i can raise 50 GPs lets say, and feed 10 rabbits with their poop, I get even more meat for the same original investment.... Id probably throw the rabbits, some other stuff to..... but dang... this is interesting...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:46 am

I raised and supplied Gunia Pigs for a bunch of pet shops.
if you do not breed them before they are 2 to 3 months old, you can`t breed them.
their pelvic bones are to small to have babies.

I have never tried to eat one.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 am

I will have to dig into that more beau, thanks. I read the same thing but for 7 months.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 am

Forgot to say... Ive got 3 breeds of dwarf rabbits now, and guinea pigs from several sources. I went with dwarf rabbits, because you can still fatten them up, and they should be as meaty as a guinea pig. the meat rabbits just get to big, Id only be able to have a small small number. I like being able to have fresh meat with no fridge needed.

Anyway the rabbits so far havent bred. The guinea pigs though went right to work. I had my bigger males one to a cage, and would move the females between them because each move would instigate another round of breeding. then after two days all of them stopped mating. I was told by a member of another fourm they likely can tell they are pregnant through pheromones. this sound right to you beau?

Also realized two of the females I bought came pre pregnant. One already had her litter, which was funny. I fed them at 1 or so in the morning before I went to sleep. I go in to check their water in the morning, and theres 3 new faces at the food bowl. What an amazing animal.

My rabbits look sad all the time. The guinea pigs, seem perfectly content. I will likely still keep a few rabbits, but so far anyway Im not impressed.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am

I don`t know how you know but I did raise rabbits too, LOT OF THEM.
I supplied a major meat market here.

when I wanted to breed a Doe I would throw her in a cage with a buck, and
it was Wam Bam Thank You Mam, oops sorry Sam.

you can feel the babies in the doe`s stomach, I don`t remember how many days it is, but they have babies fast.
only thing is don`t overbreed the Doe, keep them separated from the buck, for healthy rabbits.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 am

Why am I reminded of the movie Gremlins when I read this thread?

j/k guys... keep up the info on food.alt
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About