Cicada ice cream

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Cicada ice cream

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Cicada ice cream

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Why would you screw up a perfectly good cicadia by putting it in ice cream..... yuck.

They don't taste that bad raw, just kind of boney.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah, the health guy does not know anything wrong, but there has to be something, so he automatically slaps "VERBOTTEN!!!" on the product.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 pm

I have never ate a cicada before. This goes to show, if ya put enough sugar on something, you can make it taste good. :lol:

I did inhale a few small bugs running with my mouth open as a kid, but that is different.

And then there is the "big bug" smack-down you get riding a motor cycle without a visor or wind screen. One hit me in the mouth at 70 mph so hard, I thought I was going to flip over backwards. Taste had nothing to do with me swallowing that one! Ugh! :shock:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:58 pm

I might give that a try if I happened by the shop that sold it, but it sure wouldn't have been my first thought if I was thinking up ice cream flavors. If I was going to eat bugs in some prepared dish I think I would go fried with some salt and garlic, maybe with some pumpkin seeds or nuts or something else crunchy. Crustaceans are not too far off from bugs and lots of people like eating them, but I think I would probably try cicada or cricket ice cream before I would try one with shrimp.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I've eaten just about every bug I thought was safe to eat at least once. I don't mind eating bugs.

I could survive on earthworms (they tast like whatever dirt you find them in)

But an earthworm in ice cream sounds really gross.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Thogey wrote:I've eaten just about every bug I thought was safe to eat at least once. I don't mind eating bugs.

I could survive on earthworms (they tast like whatever dirt you find them in)

But an earthworm in ice cream sounds really gross.

I hear sun-dried earthworms are 70% protein by weight. Never tried it. Maybe I will get around to it someday.

Thanks, Thogey. Now I have a mental picture of worms swimming in soft ice cream just before I share our nightly ice cream snack with Sheikh's #1 wife. :?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I hear sun-dried earthworms are 70% protein by weight. Never tried it. Maybe I will get around to it someday.

Well, from what I remember of my early fishing days, it wasn't all that easy to dry the things before they rotted.
:? (phew)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About