Got rip by a tin can today

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Got rip by a tin can today

Postby didou » Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

I'm starting to get used to inflationary price and watch more carefully what i buy, but i've got caught.
A can of Del Monte, whole green beans, 398 ml/14 fl oz was in rebate and i was hopping to store some, since i'm not used to them i just buy a few with the intend to come back this week buy more if i liked it. The can is in facts 2/3 water and 1/3 green beans :(
You can't guess how much there is inside since it's full of water and weight about the same thing.
I know every company try to save some cash now, but that's dirty. They could have put it in a smaller can and save on the shipping, but they now intend to sell you overprice salted water that you don't even use.

That's the first time i encounter a tin can that's not even half full, but i guess i will have to get used to them as inflation continue.
From now on i will buy a single can each time, open it and eat it, and come back later that day/week for more to stock.

Just wanted to warn preps that didn't encounter that yet.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Re: Got rip by a tin can today

Postby narragansett » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

Email or call DelMonte and ask for quality control. Most companies will make good on issues like this. I bought some Ideal sweetener that had some empty packets in it. Got a bunch of FREE coupons for their product. They usually want the SKU number or lot number.
Just got some free coupons from Hostess because their shortcakes had a strong chemical-like smell. Let these people know.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby didou » Sun May 01, 2011 10:59 am

With all the new prices tag and reduction in size of everything in the groceries, i suspect this was made on purpose.
But that very possible it's a error, i've still got a few of these unopened i will see how they turn out.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 01, 2011 11:11 am

didou wrote:With all the new prices tag and reduction in size of everything in the groceries, i suspect this was made on purpose.
But that very possible it's a error, i've still got a few of these unopened i will see how they turn out.

I think you'll find this was just a screw-up, and the name brands will usually bend over backwards to make it right. So make a polite complaint. You'll usually be pleasantly surprised at the response. What will be unusual is if you don't get a response to replace and correct their screwup. They have too much at stake to not react well.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rickygee » Sun May 01, 2011 5:39 pm

One of my preps is canned tuna in water, some in oil. I usually buy from Aldi. Their stock usually comes from Thailand or the Phillipines. I've noticed more water in the cans lately. The oil packed has not changed in quantity of fish, but the quality is down. Almost all flaked fish. What a cigar manufacturer would call 'floor sweepings'.

How long will canned tuna be safe since Fukushima?

Maybe time to switch to Canadian Sardines. These have gone up 10cents to 22cents a can recently. But I'm scared of glow in the dark fish! :shock:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Sardines are better for you. Since they are low on the food chain, they are less toxic.

They have good oil. I eat lots of sardines and buy aggressively when they are on sale
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby abe » Sun May 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Thogey wrote:Sardines are better for you. Since they are low on the food chain, they are less toxic.

They have good oil. I eat lots of sardines and buy aggressively when they are on sale

They are bad for Gout sufferers though. I like em, but they don't like me :(
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun May 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Half empty cans of vegetables are like the 1/3 full bags of chips. If they shrunk the cans/bags to the size of the contents, nobody would pay for 'em. After all, they are not empty, they are full of water/air....

I love sardines. In mustard. Unfortunately, the bast ones also cost the most, but it's worth it to me. I do get odd looks from the cat when I eat they. Probably wondering what I'm doing eating cat food, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby OX6603 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 am

I would have to say it WAS on purpose, they'll never admit it though. I'm sure you'll get some cheap or free half full cans by dropping them a nastygram.
OX6603

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:35 pm

I work in a fish processing plant, and the biggest problem we run into on this sort of complaint is people not telling us what the lot number, etc, is. We cannot track it back to see if it's us, or one of our sister plants, or even if it's really this company's product. Please make sure you provide enough information to allow the manufacturer to try to track down who is slacking off.

We have even had people complain about the quality of a species of fish that we have never sold to that customer. Honest mistake? Scam? "Man in the middle"?

(Potato chips, etc, bags are puffed up so the chips don't get turned into crumbs during shipment. Yes, they might get carried away, but "due dilegence" applies here as well.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 pm

To avoid some of the coming and present onslaught of smaller portion for higher price I would suggest prepping your own. I will be canning my own tuna in a few weeks. If too much salmon is caught, the same for that. How much will I can? Depends on what I catch. I also use a small custom cannery if I don't feel like working. Similar thing with veggies, fruit, meats. Takes a while to learn, but the satisfaction is that you did most of it yourself.

I do buy freeze dried and dehydrated, bulk grains and legumes and other things that I would have a hard time doing myself, but everything else is home grown or at least home preserved.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm

You should write to the manufacturer stating your dismay to discover the can only partially full of product, consisting mostly of water. State your satisfaction with the product in the past, and that you understand that poor quality control issues could occasionally result in a canned product such as your received. State that you feel sure it must have been a mistake, but that you are writing to help ensure the same problem doesn't occur with other consumers, as you feel certain that this company would not wish to have their reputation damaged. Finally, mention that you posted your concerns in a forum where your comments are being read by thousands of other forum members. I have no doubt you will receive some form of rebate or discounts on future purchases that will far exceed your initial costs. Be sure to include the numbers mentioned by Mossy.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 pm

beauanderos wrote:You should write to the manufacturer stating your dismay to discover the can only partially full of product, consisting mostly of water. State your satisfaction with the product in the past, and that you understand that poor quality control issues could occasionally result in a canned product such as your received. State that you feel sure it must have been a mistake, but that you are writing to help ensure the same problem doesn't occur with other consumers, as you feel certain that this company would not wish to have their reputation damaged. Finally, mention that you posted your concerns in a forum where your comments are being read by thousands of other forum members. I have no doubt you will receive some form of rebate or discounts on future purchases that will far exceed your initial costs. Be sure to include the numbers mentioned by Mossy.

Perfect.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About