micro livestock

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

micro livestock

Postby Treetop » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1831&page=R1

this is pretty interesting for those considering micro livestock. Actually there are a few types almost anyone could keep as household pets and then grow out in any number needed later!!!!! what a concept!!!

Rabbits and guinea pigs stick out for this. you could get 4 cages lets say, or pick one of the two animals and have two cages. although keep in mind if guinea pigs havent bred before 6-8 months then they will not be able to later!!! but beyond that you could have a male or two in one cage. (back up is good) and 2 or more females in another cage. It isnt hard to take care of 4 or even more of either of these types of animals. Isnt expensive either.... their food is cheap and could be "stacked" like anything else. Or you could simply house and feed the small amount while slowly setting up your yeard to be able to feed a good number of them. Grasses or things like dandelion or purslane. lots of others, alfalfa etc... both eat many table scraps and other plant scraps. so if you did that you would have some pets for now.... you wouldnt be spending much feeding them. and since you got ready in case you had to feed them yourself later you would be able to expand as much as your resources for them allowed and rather fast as well...

anyway... interesting ..
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: micro livestock

Postby Mossy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm

From what I've read, rabbits also have to be bred young or fat builds up around the ovaries. It was given as a reason that female rabbits were seldom seen in the animal shows: bred females were poor show quality and show quality females were more valuable as breeders.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 pm

My hamster, Gordon, is ready, willing, and able to breed. I gave him a stuffed mouse as a toy and he went to town on it. Poor little guy is hoarding peanuts now like an expectant parent.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Morsecode wrote:My hamster, Gordon, is ready, willing, and able to breed. I gave him a stuffed mouse as a toy and he went to town on it. Poor little guy is hoarding peanuts now like an expectant parent.

Always willing, and she don't say nuffen (so what if she looks a little odd?). He probably thinks he won the lottery, or something.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 pm

I can see myself starting up with something like this. However, due to my wife's love of animals, I can also see myself with approximately 5,000 pet rabbits in 5 years. :shock:
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About