LDS Cannery

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: LDS Cannery

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 am

Nevertheless a great resource to bring to people's attention - thanks! The local cannery's, being locally supported and volunteer staffed, can set their own rules - I respect how difficult it can be to man these, consistently - and that they may need to put restrictions on them depending on their resources.

Meanwhile, the central LDS storehouse linked above is limited in selection, but is open to all without restriction to faith. I did place an order over the weekend for a couple of items as a test, and the prices are great and shipping (as noted above) is free/included. For the most basic of basics I encourage people to check it out as a portion of their self-reliance preparations.

I note these comments as a member of a faith other than LDS, and am very happy they provide this service - which no other faith or organization does in this manner (that I'm aware of).

I will report back on my shipment when rec'd.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for the kind comments, Rich.

By the way, do know about the big LDS ranch near you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_Ranches
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby walt2727 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 am

I think there is a lot to be said for having a doctrine that teaches you to be self relient (i am not a member by the way) instead of sitting back waiting for help from others. Thank you to those that posted additional info for those of us not in the church. 68camaro, thanks for providing feedback on this once you receive. I'm thinking about adding some to my pantry. Hurricane season is open.
Walt
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:28 am

TS Debby is a fresh reminder of the need to prep. Power was out for two hours last night (nothing like an auto start whole house generator!) and we're on our 3rd straight day of hard rain.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:12 pm

walt2727 wrote:I think there is a lot to be said for having a doctrine that teaches you to be self relient (i am not a member by the way) instead of sitting back waiting for help from others. Thank you to those that posted additional info for those of us not in the church. 68camaro, thanks for providing feedback on this once you receive. I'm thinking about adding some to my pantry. Hurricane season is open.
Walt

re: the LDS church order.

Got the two cases of canned hard red wheat berries yesterday. A week after order, delivered by FedEx. $28 bucks a case including shipping. No tax for me (required as needed). The O2 absorbers were backordered but now in and ready to ship separately.

The wheat is in 6 #10 cans per case. 5.5 lbs per can, so 33 lbs of wheat per case. 66 lbs for $56, sealed, delivered, ready for 30 years. Really can't be beat. I bought a 50 lb bag delivered for about $50 last year and I thought that was a great deal, but even with that it still had to be packed for storage, and this is cheaper and the work is done. Best deal on wheat berries that I've seen, for anyone that isn't close to the farms and can't pick up at a distributor (and even then you need to can it or vac pack it or store in food grade buckets with the appropriate anti-bug stuff of your choice), and who wants to store some.

The Augason Farms wheat in a 45 lb 6 gallon bucket is also sealed, with O2 absorbers, for $44. Not a bad deal at all, but there is still shipping to pay for (their shipping is cheap, but not free) and more $ per pound.

So, it's a no-brainer, plus the smaller cans are easy to deal with when it's time to open.
68Camaro

Postby Rob72830 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 am

shinnosuke wrote:
In the meantime, go here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

You can order the most basic of the basics...wheat, flour, oats, rice, beans...not too exciting, but it will keep you alive. The shipping is free.

Thanks for the link. I went on line and put in an order for red wheat and oats. I like it that it is packed in #10 cans instead of buckets. We are a small household and the cans will suit our needs better than trying to divide up everything in a bucket into food saver bags. They did add tax though. Now to get that grinder. :D
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am

Rob72830 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:
In the meantime, go here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

You can order the most basic of the basics...wheat, flour, oats, rice, beans...not too exciting, but it will keep you alive. The shipping is free.

Thanks for the link. I went on line and put in an order for red wheat and oats. I like it that it is packed in #10 cans instead of buckets. We are a small household and the cans will suit our needs better than trying to divide up everything in a bucket into food saver bags. They did add tax though. Now to get that grinder. :D

In my order they added a placeholder tax initially with a footnote that it would be adjusted with the final bill during processing. I think it depends on the state. In my case I had to look at the charge card to see what the final billing amount was. (Which, it was eliminated entirely.)
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm

68Camaro wrote:
walt2727 wrote:I think there is a lot to be said for having a doctrine that teaches you to be self relient (i am not a member by the way) instead of sitting back waiting for help from others. Thank you to those that posted additional info for those of us not in the church. 68camaro, thanks for providing feedback on this once you receive. I'm thinking about adding some to my pantry. Hurricane season is open.
Walt

re: the LDS church order.

Got the two cases of canned hard red wheat berries yesterday. A week after order, delivered by FedEx. $28 bucks a case including shipping. No tax for me (required as needed). The O2 absorbers were backordered but now in and ready to ship separately.

The wheat is in 6 #10 cans per case. 5.5 lbs per can, so 33 lbs of wheat per case. 66 lbs for $56, sealed, delivered, ready for 30 years. Really can't be beat. I bought a 50 lb bag delivered for about $50 last year and I thought that was a great deal, but even with that it still had to be packed for storage, and this is cheaper and the work is done. Best deal on wheat berries that I've seen, for anyone that isn't close to the farms and can't pick up at a distributor (and even then you need to can it or vac pack it or store in food grade buckets with the appropriate anti-bug stuff of your choice), and who wants to store some.

The Augason Farms wheat in a 45 lb 6 gallon bucket is also sealed, with O2 absorbers, for $44. Not a bad deal at all, but there is still shipping to pay for (their shipping is cheap, but not free) and more $ per pound.

So, it's a no-brainer, plus the smaller cans are easy to deal with when it's time to open.

Not a bad price considering it was sealed up, but you can beat the price greatly. A friend of mine last year ordered 2,000 pounds of organic corn, and 2,000 ponds of wheat berries (conventional not organic) for around 2k delivered. A large chunk of that price was the delivery cost.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Buy it by the ton and the wheat itself is about $250. Similar price for the corn. Your friend had about $500 in the grain. The rest was delivery and/or shipping, handling. Great way to deal with it if you can stand it.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 pm

I think he paid extra for the organic corn, (he didnt want GM corn) but yeah it was something like that.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:57 am

68Camaro wrote:

In my order they added a placeholder tax initially with a footnote that it would be adjusted with the final bill during processing. I think it depends on the state. In my case I had to look at the charge card to see what the final billing amount was. (Which, it was eliminated entirely.)
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I got that too but since I live in the Land of Taxation (used to be Land of Opportunity) the 10% tax stayed because when I checked my Online banking, the $54 plus change was being debited from my account. I don't like the high tax but it balances out with the free shipping. I can live with that. Also I guess I can assume my order is in the process of being filled since they have already started debited my account. Maybe it will be here by the end of the week.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm

68Camaro wrote:Unfortunately I found my local cannery is effectively closed due to lack of help. Only occasional Tuesday morning appointments, 2-3 people at a time, and no canning. :(

Well, if you have time on your hands, I doubt they would turn away an unbeliever who volunteered to help out.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:35 am

[quote="Treetop
Not a bad price considering it was sealed up, but you can beat the price greatly. A friend of mine last year ordered 2,000 pounds of organic corn, and 2,000 ponds of wheat berries (conventional not organic) for around 2k delivered. A large chunk of that price was the delivery cost.[/quote]

How did he store it once he recieved it?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Unfortunately I found my local cannery is effectively closed due to lack of help. Only occasional Tuesday morning appointments, 2-3 people at a time, and no canning. :(

Well, if you have time on your hands, I doubt they would turn away an unbeliever who volunteered to help out.

If there was one really close by, and they implemented an all-faiths policy, I would offer my hands in support of improving general preparations for the larger population - unfortunately the local cannery is "local" in name only - two counties south of here, so not a quick trip and it doesn't make economic sense to volunteer there.
68Camaro

Postby baggerman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Just an FYI: The one in Portland Oregon is open to non members on Tues and Thursday if I remember correctly. I got 56 #10 cans of beans, rice, carrots, apples, potatoes etc for $220 (again if I remember correctly :lol: ) last year.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sparechange » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 am

Ordered from the online LDS store(thanks for link) received yesterday(Fri), a few cases of basic things. I am quite happy with the purchase and hope to make it to San Antonio at some point to visit the cannery there. Thanks.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:49 pm

sparechange wrote:Ordered from the online LDS store(thanks for link) received yesterday(Fri), a few cases of basic things. I am quite happy with the purchase and hope to make it to San Antonio at some point to visit the cannery there. Thanks.

Glad you're satisfied. PM me when you want to visit SA and I'll go with you if my schedule allows.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Doug, I hope in Sept.--Oct. Are they open on Sat.? I know you have a trip planned in Sept(?). I'll try to stay in touch.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:42 pm

sparechange wrote:Thanks Doug, I hope in Sept.--Oct. Are they open on Sat.? I know you have a trip planned in Sept(?). I'll try to stay in touch.

You're right. Sept. 8-15th I'll be in Japan. Work & stuff always pops up during the week, but if I have a week's advance notice I can usually make arrangements. Yes, the cannery is open on Saturday.

This offer is good to anyone else that wants to go to the cannery in San Antonio. Personal tour of the facility included.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

sparechange has selected the 23rd of October, next Tuesday, as the time he will make his first visit to the LDS cannery in San Antonio. We are shooting for a 2PM start. Anybody else in the area is welcome to join. Mini-get-together!

See the link below if you would like to purchase these food storage items at a great price. (And please be aware that prices are almost guaranteed to go up in January. There's been considerable food inflation since the last price increase.)

If you can't make it, but want some items shown in the link below, I can purchase them for you and we can make arrangements for the hand over at a later time.

Questions? Ask them here or PM me.

http://providentliving.org/bc/providentliving/content/english/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form/pdf/123141_HSC_OrderFormUS_EngNov2011_pdf.pdf?lang=eng
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I wish I could come to the get together. I volunteered at our local cannery a bout a month ago. I stocked shelves for about 3 hours.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 pm

shinnosuke wrote:sparechange has selected the 23rd of October, next Tuesday, as the time he will make his first visit to the LDS cannery in San Antonio. We are shooting for a 2PM start. Anybody else in the area is welcome to join. Mini-get-together!

See the link below if you would like to purchase these food storage items at a great price. (And please be aware that prices are almost guaranteed to go up in January. There's been considerable food inflation since the last price increase.)

If you can't make it, but want some items shown in the link below, I can purchase them for you and we can make arrangements for the hand over at a later time.

Questions? Ask them here or PM me.

http://providentliving.org/bc/providentliving/content/english/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form/pdf/123141_HSC_OrderFormUS_EngNov2011_pdf.pdf?lang=eng

Had a great canning session with sparechange & Mrs. sparechange today in San Antonio. The offer to any and all still stands. I can set up another canning session with about a week's notice.

Have you heard about "food inflation" in the news lately? Coming soon to a grocer near you.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

What an interesting and educational trip to the cannery, plus I got a few preps to boot. Great to meet Doug and what a great host. We had a great time and I would encourage any in the area to take him up on the offer to can a few items. Thanks again Doug!
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RedRockGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Has anyone tried the "Potato Pearls" from the LDS Cannery? They are the best ever! They come in foil bags and are not good for long term storage, but are amazingly good. Check them out next time you are there.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:15 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:Has anyone tried the "Potato Pearls" from the LDS Cannery? They are the best ever! They come in foil bags and are not good for long term storage, but are amazingly good. Check them out next time you are there.

No, but if they're that good I'll order some next time I send an order in for something else. What makes them particularly good? Are they like something else that I would know?
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About