What If Nothing Happens?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What If Nothing Happens?

Postby Redneck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What If Nothing Happens?

Postby SilverEye » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 pm

I talked about this exactly on some prepper sites I'm on. Skillsets are the most important thing to prep.

I'm an excellent shot, but I have never skinned and cleaned wild game (or any mammal for that matter).

I'm very mechanical, and superior at rigging things together with not-quite-right parts on hand. But I'm a terrible farmer, I got less then a half pound of edible food out of my garden last season.

I have been getting very good at mental math to be able to tell if certain coins are a good deal for my dollar, but not very good at self-promotion. Which will be vital for a guy like me who can do some things great, and simply cannot do other things at all. I need to be able to barter and trade my skills for your skills if SHTF. Stuff like "I can fix your tractor today, if you feed me and my family tomorrow."
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 pm

I think just importantly it's vital to consider community outreach as a critical part of prepping. If you are by yourself, now is the time to be networking and forming groups, not trying to lone dog it if TEOTWAWKI happens. As far as if nothing happens, well way too good then. Does any survivalist actually pray for TSHTF just to prove their own wisdom in prepping? Just so they can gloat "I told you so?" I think everyone would prefer to live in a stable world, but unfortunately... we don't have that choice.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Nickelless » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 pm

If nothing happens, I still have more than a year's worth of food for myself and my bride-to-be to draw from if we run into hard times, I have a safe, inviting place for my family to hang out when everything is good and to run to when things get bad, I've been developing skills that will be important no matter if or when TSHTF and I've shown the most important people in my life that I've been doing certain things to help take care of them because I care for them and love them.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:56 pm

I saw an article comparing cost of food bought in small amounts over a year vs a year supply bought in bulk. Conclusion in the article was that buying in bulk beat putting money in the bank for interest (back when they actually paid interest) and drawing to buy the groceries as needed.

Tax free investing.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 pm

beauanderos wrote:I think just importantly it's vital to consider community outreach as a critical part of prepping. If you are by yourself, now is the time to be networking and forming groups, not trying to lone dog it if TEOTWAWKI happens. As far as if nothing happens, well way too good then. Does any survivalist actually pray for TSHTF just to prove their own wisdom in prepping? Just so they can gloat "I told you so?" I think everyone would prefer to live in a stable world, but unfortunately... we don't have that choice.

Totally agree... surround yourself with like-minded people.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Good article. Did anybody notice that Ponce showed up in the comments section again? A few of the other commemts were pretty extreme.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Redneck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 am

theo wrote:Good article. Did anybody notice that Ponce showed up in the comments section again? A few of the other commemts were pretty extreme.

Lol... I did not know that Ponce commented.

I miss that guy... :twisted:

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby midiglass » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm

HUH?
midiglass

Postby Rosco » Fri May 25, 2012 1:07 am

Ponce had a hoard of nickels an was a prepper with good stories to 'share mostly on old real cent forum 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About