LDS Cannery

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

LDS Cannery

Postby alpacafarmer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Had my first experience with the LDS cannery on Monday and it was great. Half the price of Costco and the people that volunter there where very freindly and helpful.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Re: LDS Cannery

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:05 pm

What did you do? Buy? Can? What?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:39 pm

You can order any of the items shown on the form at the link below. Depending on inventory levels and the size of your order, you may need to order some items in advance. Just discuss with the cannery volunteers.

You will can your own order, by the way.

Folks, this is the best kept secret for preppers trying to load up on the basics. Nothing fancy, but it will keep you alive if you've got a supply of water.

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7977-1-4352-1,00.html

Find a cannery near you:
http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

Any questions? I can help.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:52 pm

No disrepect to the canneries, but I'm getting better food prices from Utah-based commercial places like Augason Farms (which may be LDS affiliated, for all I know - the shipping is incredibly low, which makes me wonder).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:56 pm

68Camaro wrote:No disrepect to the canneries, but I'm getting better food prices from Utah-based commercial places like Augason Farms (which may be LDS affiliated, for all I know - the shipping is incredibly low, which makes me wonder).

Then Augason sounds like the best deal for you. Are the prices better even factoring in shipping?

The Augason owners may be LDS, but the business is not owned by the LDS church.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I went to the Augason Farms web site and they do have a much broader selection but they must be giving you some special deal because the prices they have posted on their site is quite a bit higher than the cannery. #10 cans price carrots LDS 8.30 AF 15.89, Oats LDS 2.50 AF 6.05, Pinto beans LDS 4.70 AF 10.35, rice LDS 3.85 AF 9.55, Wheat LDS 3.50 AF 7.89.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:38 pm

We need to do a per serving cost, apple to apples. For many of the AF products they are freeze dried, indefinite length storage. Not regular canned product. They may not be covering the same market.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:05 pm

68Camaro wrote:We need to do a per serving cost, apple to apples. For many of the AF products they are freeze dried, indefinite length storage. Not regular canned product. They may not be covering the same market.

Storage life for the dry (called "low-moisture," so not sure if freeze-dried or dehydrated...perhaps neither) items on the LDS list at the link above is 20-30 years. These items are definitely not wet-packed. I have canned just about everything on the list and no water/syrup goes into any can.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm in a mtg (suuuush) so can't research. The AF products are (I believe) freeze dried. Require reconstituting. Believe there are more servings per can. I'll check tonight if no one else does first. But this makes me wonder if I ordered what I thought I was ordering.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Nope - you all are absolutely correct - I stand corrected. While AF does have sales, even the sale prices aren't usually this good. I must've been comparing the wrong items.

While the cannery items are far more limited in selection, for what they have, they are significantly cheaper even than AF. You just have to do your own work. I presume they have bulk supplies at the cannery, and you do the work there. Or do you have to order in advance and it gets delivered to the cannery where you go pack and load it? (I'm thinking out loud and will answer this myself eventually, but if someone happens to know that would be nice to hear corroborated.) I'm going to look into this, and get the items that I can from the cannery. Fill in the balance from other sources. Thanks!
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:54 pm

The cannery usually has supplies of everything available for canning and they do allow walk-ins (at least they do at the cannery in my town), but it's conceivable that someone came in 2 hours earlier and bought all of an item you need so I recommend calling in advance.

The experience of canning your own is nice, but I think you can also order online.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:30 am

We made an appointment. They have some things already canned up ( red and white wheat, rice, quick oats) but the rest you have to can. If you open a box or bag you have to can everything in it but you only have to take what you want and the rest they put on a can rack for people that just 1 or 2 cans of an something. You can not bring in anything from outside to can but they did tell us if we had other things we wanted to can that we could stop by and buy cans, lids, oxygen absorbers and they would loan us a canner to take home. They sell everything at cost and the place is staffed by volunteers.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:43 am

Unfortunately I found my local cannery is effectively closed due to lack of help. Only occasional Tuesday morning appointments, 2-3 people at a time, and no canning. :(
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:20 pm

68Camaro wrote:Unfortunately I found my local cannery is effectively closed due to lack of help. Only occasional Tuesday morning appointments, 2-3 people at a time, and no canning. :(

(embarrassed laugh) Yes, this is one of the hazards of an all-volunteer system. It sounds like the previous manager has departed and a new one has not been found yet. Keep calling them every week or so to see when they will be back in operation.

In the meantime, go here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

You can order the most basic of the basics...wheat, flour, oats, rice, beans...not too exciting, but it will keep you alive. The shipping is free.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:30 pm

68Camaro wrote:Unfortunately I found my local cannery is effectively closed due to lack of help. Only occasional Tuesday morning appointments, 2-3 people at a time, and no canning. :(

Check around. I am not sure how many cannerys we have in Florida, but you may find one that is close enough to make the drive worth while.

Also, in regards to the cannery letting you sign out one of the dry canners, some will and some won't let you do it. Our cannery up here in NY won't let us, so in our local congregation, we all chipped in and bought one.

You may also be able to volunteer there. I try to go once a year and volunteer with my boys. It is always a good experience for them.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:http://www.storeitfoods.com/page/drypack

Good info, reference source.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:39 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

(embarrassed laugh) Yes, this is one of the hazards of an all-volunteer system. It sounds like the previous manager has departed and a new one has not been found yet. Keep calling them every week or so to see when they will be back in operation.

In the meantime, go here: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

You can order the most basic of the basics...wheat, flour, oats, rice, beans...not too exciting, but it will keep you alive. The shipping is free.

Good tip/reminder, thanks. I really do already have most of the basics, but didn't have any *canned* wheat berries, and price is good - almost as good per pound as I can otherwise get in 50 lb bags, so I ordered two cases just to get some diversity of smaller packages in different container. Plus some O2 absorber packs.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 pm

knibloe wrote:

Check around. I am not sure how many cannerys we have in Florida, but you may find one that is close enough to make the drive worth while.

Also, in regards to the cannery letting you sign out one of the dry canners, some will and some won't let you do it. Our cannery up here in NY won't let us, so in our local congregation, we all chipped in and bought one.

You may also be able to volunteer there. I try to go once a year and volunteer with my boys. It is always a good experience for them.

I think there is one in Lakeland, not too far, but far enough to make it expensive for small to moderate amounts. I would consider going to an alternate location if I was helping some of my family in their preps and truly stocking them up.
68Camaro

Postby walt2727 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

68camaro
are you referring to the one on Satellite Blvd?
i called them a year or so ago and was told they wouldn't sell to non-members (i believe that's the term he used) very nice and polite about it though.
Walt
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

That's the one... not sure what their policy is, but seems to be a moot point at the moment, regardless.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Walt, there is no policy for not selling to non-LDS members so I apologize for their ignorance in making that statement. And as mentioned above, for just the basics, they are obtainable online with free shipping.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:44 pm

walt2727 wrote:i called them a year or so ago and was told they wouldn't sell to non-members

If I remember correctly, refusal to sell to outsiders was one of the aggravating factors leading up to the war of 1857.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:57 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Walt, there is no policy for not selling to non-LDS members so I apologize for their ignorance in making that statement. And as mentioned above, for just the basics, they are obtainable online with free shipping.

Some of the storehouses might have this policy. I know that a couple of years back in (2008?) there was a run on them and the church was unable to keep up with demand. Our local storehouse did have a members only policy at that time.

Remember, that the storehouse is run/maintained in part from the donations that church members make and if there isn't enough to satisfy the local members, it would be fair for it to be restricted to those who support it with donations.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 pm

knibloe wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Walt, there is no policy for not selling to non-LDS members so I apologize for their ignorance in making that statement. And as mentioned above, for just the basics, they are obtainable online with free shipping.

Some of the storehouses might have this policy. I know that a couple of years back in (2008?) there was a run on them and the church was unable to keep up with demand. Our local storehouse did have a members only policy at that time.

Remember, that the storehouse is run/maintained in part from the donations that church members make and if there isn't enough to satisfy the local members, it would be fair for it to be restricted to those who support it with donations.

Well, I learn something every day. I guess the cannery in San Antonio is more flexible than some of the others.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About