Propane or Natural Gas Refrigerator/Freezer

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Propane or Natural Gas Refrigerator/Freezer

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

Ok, I know they are a reality but they are also super expensive for the most part if you plan on getting one of any size from what I have seen looking online.

If the electricity goes out and you don't have a generator I am guessing this is the only option for keeping stuff cool as long as you have gas.

However, if the electricity goes out I am guessing the natural gas lines want last forever either.

Anyone have one of these and can share your experences? In advance, thanks! I wonder if their would last an EMP?
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Propane or Natural Gas Refrigerator/Freezer

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm

My Grandfather has one out on his island house/camp. It was built in the 40's. Servel is the brand I think. It runs all summer on a 100# propane tank. Works great and always has. I don't see what an EMP could do to it. There is no circuitry whatsoever. Just a burner and some coils. Don't know how they make them now though.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm

http://www.propanerefrigerator.us/propa ... rostek.htm

Looks like an interesting alternative to electric....However it is expensive!
Copper Catcher

Postby daviscfad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:54 pm

get you a generator that runs on natural gas and don't worry about anything.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:51 pm

A loud generator in my opinion is asking for unwanted visitors.
Copper Catcher

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:A loud generator in my opinion is asking for unwanted visitors.

Install a better muffler/exhaust system... But it's not the noise that is going to make a house stand-out - it's the lights at night. If you want to be laying low during a critical time you'll need to be using black-out curtains, and if you really want to stay under the radar to everyone you'll have to go natural, create no thermal image difference from the background at all.

There are MANY natural disasters/events where I want power to replace the loss of distributed power, well before any SHTF event.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:38 am

I have NG fridge. A Servel from the 40's. These are built to last forever. The new ones are very expensive and I doubt they will last as long. Mine runs from a gas well on my farm so I won't need to worry about a supply of fuel. I have an automatic whole house NG generator also but how long would it run in a SHTF situation? I'm blessed with the chance to test out my preparedness level often as we have the worst electrical service in the country. We are on day seven with no electric and the electric company hopes to have someone in the area next Monday or Tues. to start working on repairs. I believe NG is the way to go and will be available much longer than electric, gas or propane.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm

john i don't think the gas generators put off a lot of noise. fromy understanding when the lights go out the natural gas generator automatically kicks on.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:42 pm

From what I recall (not very well) some have a problem working if they have been tipped over. Need to look into that.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Mossy wrote:From what I recall (not very well) some have a problem working if they have been tipped over. Need to look into that.

If you lay it down or tip it over it develops air bubbles in the refrigerant. You must stand it up and leave it turned off for 24 hours or so before attempting to restart it. They run on basically the same amount of gas as a pilot light.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am

I have a buddy that is putting in a whole house generac system. He is going to have the guy call me eventually. My wife want to go hear one running first.

Looking toward this one to run on natural gas:
http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guar ... ies_20_kW/

The control has a ten second delay switching over when power goes down. Also it click on test mode I think weekly or maybe monthly not sure.
Copper Catcher

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:59 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I have a buddy that is putting in a whole house generac system. He is going to have the guy call me eventually. My wife want to go hear one running first.

Looking toward this one to run on natural gas:
http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guar ... ies_20_kW/

The control has a ten second delay switching over when power goes down. Also it click on test mode I think weekly or maybe monthly not sure.

Weekly... I have one. Noise is there, but not too bad. Obviously a consideration, and the unit should be placed and oriented with that in mind. I've spent some time looking into alternate noise supression methods, but it's been away too far down my to-do list.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:32 pm

68Camaro wrote:I've spent some time looking into alternate noise supression methods, but it's been away too far down my to-do list.

A pipe full of marbles would be an interesting experiment.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About