Bubble wrap insulation for windows

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Bubble wrap insulation for windows

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 am

i know a few of you do this already - place bubble wrap over your windows to add insulation.

am going to do this this year. I understand the thicker the bubbles, the better. Two questions.

1. my windows are 27'' wide, and with the sash etc 31-32 inches. do i cut to cover the glass or the entire opening?

2. found this supplier online. $45 shipped for a 48 inch wide roll, 65 feet long. Can anyone do better?

http://www.uboxes.com/moving-supplies/b ... rolls.html

Uline has 250' for $111, but i don't think i will need that much.
http://www.uline.com/BL_468/Industrial- ... cushioning
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Bubble wrap insulation for windows

Postby Engineer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:09 am

I'd do the windows rather than the sash. Your curtains (or a second layer of shrink wrap along the interior wall) will add a second layer in addition to the bubbles.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 am

i guess sash is the wrong word - the glass is 27'' wide, and there is two inches of wood on either side right and left of the glass. do i cut 27" wide or 32"?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm

You'll probably want to tape it on the middle of the wood to create a dead air space between the glass and the bubble wrap. Otherwise, you'll lose heat through conduction between the plastic and glass.

I'm not sure how much the bubble wrap will help you over plain plastic though. In my last house I just used the shrink film from Walmart and taped it around the inner window frames. It worked well enough that I didn't think the bubble wrap was necessary. As long as you can get it sealed up well enough that water doesn't condense on the windows, you'll be doing good.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:39 pm

thread from last year with good link with pics

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1713&p=13681&hilit=bubble+wrap#p13681
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:2. found this supplier online. $45 shipped for a 48 inch wide roll, 65 feet long. Can anyone do better?

http://www.uboxes.com/moving-supplies/b ... rolls.html

That link is for rolls of large 1/2 inch bubble wrap. the links reccomend using small 3/16 inch bubble wrap

this is 49.00 for 175 feet small bubble:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/175-ft-3-16-SMALL-BUBBLE-WRAP-48-wide-FREE-SHIPPING-/290792937307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b49c175b
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Half inch should work fine. 3/4inch is about as large as I'd go.

From building visqueen shelters. Two layers no more than the width of a dressed 1x (0.75" dressed) board would insulate. I'd get condensation inside if the layers were less than 1/4" apart.

If putting a sheet of plain plastic film over a window, inside or out, slap some small suction cups on the glass to keep the plastic off the glass.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 am

where are you guys seeing that it recommends small bubbles - i am missing that.

please explain the condensation concern. the link at build it solar doesn't mention this and he says just place it right on the glass pane touching. are you saying you need space between the plastic and the glass?

from what i gather, you cut to the exact size of the pane, not the pane plus the frame, is that right?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:please explain the condensation concern. the link at build it solar doesn't mention this and he says just place it right on the glass pane touching. are you saying you need space between the plastic and the glass?

from what i gather, you cut to the exact size of the pane, not the pane plus the frame, is that right?

My experience is with film, not bubbles. A small air gap would show condensation, indicating that heat was leaking out (or else the air inside would not cool enough for condensation to form). Thus, I am inclined to go with half inch bubbles, or slightly larger. My experience might not be directly translatable.

I'd say put the bubbles straight on the glass.

If you go with film (not bubbles), then you need the air gap.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 pm

If you see condensation, you're not nearly as efficient as you could be. You lose just as much energy in condensation as it would take to boil the same amount of water into steam.

There are three things you need to look at:
Infrared losses - like feeling the heat from a campfire. You can't do much about this without window films or drapes which block infrared wavelengths.
Convection losses - if you have a fan in your oven, it cooks twice as fast. You can stop this with a dead air space.
Conduction losses - similar to jumping from 70 degree air into 70 degree water. Preventing solids and liquids from touching will help to prevent these losses.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:32 am

fwiw, i found a 65 foot roll on amazon for $42, 48 wide, half inch bubbles, free shipping.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I prefer just using solar blanket material (emergency blanket) that looks just like a mylar balloon. Local dollar store sells it for $1.25 and its about queen sized, folds up into the space of about two decks of cards.

Reflects light and heat. On a hot summer day, if you stand in front of it, it will literally cook.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm

ZenOps wrote:I prefer just using solar blanket material (emergency blanket) that looks just like a mylar balloon. Local dollar store sells it for $1.25 and its about queen sized, folds up into the space of about two decks of cards.

Reflects light and heat. On a hot summer day, if you stand in front of it, it will literally cook.

I used that on the windows of my barracks room while stationed in Iceland. Taped it to the wood around the glass pane. It dimmed the summer sun enough to let me sleep, and killed the cold air draft off the window in winter. It's good stuff.

It makes a one way mirror; the side with more light cannot see to the side with less light. Keep that in mind.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About