Stored Pinto beans

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Stored Pinto beans

Postby justoneguy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am

While cooking up some of our preps, [store what you eat eat what you store]
My wife complained that the beans weren't getting soft enough.
Sure enough I saw on other forums people with the same complaint.
One guy even said "you might as well just try cooking the rocks".
any ideas on this?
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Stored Pinto beans

Postby Engineer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 am

Pintos get hard when they're old. Storing them in nitrogen or CO2 could help. Also avoid adding any sort of acid until they're soft.

For the beans you already have, try an overnight soak and/or pressure cooker. One thing I haven't tried is doing a soak with a little baking soda, but I'd love to hear if it works.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 am

I don't understand, really. You start with an overnight room temperature soak then cook them with lots of water. Hard to cook them too much. Keep adding water and heat until they get where you want them. A pressure cooker speeds things up but isn't necessary. People that are used to microwaves may not appreciate that this is a long process - it doesn't get done in minutes or even an hour. Multiple hours required.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:53 am

Pinto Beans are something that we cook regularly.
My wife has been making them for many years,
cooking these twice as long still keeps a lot more "tooth" in them.
I may have to try storing in CO2.
good thing I only have a couple of years worth stored. ;)

I will buy another pressure cooker.
My canning pressure cooker [a 34 quart All American], states never to cook beans in it.
Any ideas on why?
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am

Dunno for sure from personal knowledge but I suspected it was this, and then one of the first search results seems to confirm it. Emphasis mine.

Pressure cooking beans is fast and easy, but you MUST use oil when doing so. It keeps the beans from foaming up as well as keeping the skins from popping off and clogging up the vent tube. Remember not to fill cooker over 2/3 full.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 pm

You need to soak pintos until they all get larger and none of them have wrinkled skin. Soaking them some place warm helps, too. I used to leave them out on my "porch" until it got cold and the beans took a week to soak. Just keep changing the water as soon as you see some foam on the surface, or more often. The fresh beans are paler on the light parts, and taste better.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About