Now running my car on CNG

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Now running my car on CNG

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I made the plunge and bought a compressor and I am now filling up my car at home with Compressed Natural Gas from a well on my farm. I have wanted to do this for years but could not find a compressor that was not junk or very expensive. Finally located what I have been looking for in Dec. Ordered the compressor and bought a dual fuel car off of ebay. Now I'm looking to replace my Truck ( 12 MPG ).
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Re: Now running my car on CNG

Postby Delawhere Jack » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

My brother bought a "gas van" at auction 6-7 years ago. It had been a utility company vehicle in NYC, an early 90's Dodge heavy duty van. There was no place locally to fill the tanks, so my brother opened an account with a filling station near the Philly airport, about 25 miles from where we live. The van was near empty, so I followed him on his pilgrammage to fill the tanks. After a few wrong turns we finally located the place. It was Saturday and there was noone there, but the pump was open. We punched in his account number on the keypad, and his pin number. No gas, please re-enter code... So now we're sitting there with a $300 gas van with nearly empty tanks, in an unfriendly neighborhood, and no one to assist with the pump. My hacking skills kick in, we enter 111111 as the account number and 555 as the pin, BINGO! We've got gas! (Yes, he contacted the company and attempted to make restitution. Eventually he gave up when noone seemed to give a crap).

So, back on the road, homeward bound with a tanked up but mildly overheating gas van. (With a left front brake disc that's dragging and making his left foot uncomfortably warm).

We pull the van back into the yard, open the hood and remove the interior engine cowling to let if cool off better, and then we check the tank gauges.

We've used almost exactly half of the tanks load to make the 25 mile trip home......... :(

Not knocking CNG vehicles, just relating a funny story.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Redneck » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:I made the plunge and bought a compressor and I am now filling up my car at home with Compressed Natural Gas from a well on my farm. I have wanted to do this for years but could not find a compressor that was not junk or very expensive. Finally located what I have been looking for in Dec. Ordered the compressor and bought a dual fuel car off of ebay. Now I'm looking to replace my Truck ( 12 MPG ).

Congratulations on taking your first step towards energy independence...!!!

Next is getting a generator to run off that well for electricty. Charge a battery bank to run a inverter so you don't have to run the generator 24/7.

Gas stove, gas heater, gas refrigerator , air conditioning system and anything else you can think of.

You are so lucky...

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm

I already have the generator as my electric is off on average about 10 days a year. Gas heat, stove, hot water and dryer. I've already told the wife the next time we need a fridge it is going to be gas. I almost had a gas fridge a couple of years ago. I was selling a cabin that had an old gas fridge that hadn't been defrosted in years and was almost one big block of ice. The lady buying the place was complaining about needing to pay to have someone haul that big ugly thing out of there and I offered (much to enthusiastically ) to haul it away for free. She decided it might be worth keeping. Would really like to put in a fuel cell. They have been saying for the past 10 years that they are only 6 months away from having them available for home owners.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 pm

today...I kid you not...I had lunch today with a fella that has two used 454 cu engines designed for CNG and a NIB 454 cu CNG built by mercruiser...looking for a new home....hmmm I am a Ford guy but....they were used for emergency power source for a chiller in an office building.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Redneck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:I already have the generator as my electric is off on average about 10 days a year. Gas heat, stove, hot water and dryer. I've already told the wife the next time we need a fridge it is going to be gas. I almost had a gas fridge a couple of years ago. I was selling a cabin that had an old gas fridge that hadn't been defrosted in years and was almost one big block of ice. The lady buying the place was complaining about needing to pay to have someone haul that big ugly thing out of there and I offered (much to enthusiastically ) to haul it away for free. She decided it might be worth keeping. Would really like to put in a fuel cell. They have been saying for the past 10 years that they are only 6 months away from having them available for home owners.

One of my dreams is being able to go off grid and your almost there. I'm so envious it's not even funny.

fasteddy wrote:today...I kid you not...I had lunch today with a fella that has two used 454 cu engines designed for CNG and a NIB 454 cu CNG built by mercruiser...looking for a new home....hmmm I am a Ford guy but....they were used for emergency power source for a chiller in an office building.

Those engines can be converted back to gasoline very easily. The great thing about engines that run on CNG is that the combustion is very, very clean, which in turn
leads to low wear and tear. Chances are that those used engines are still in great condition. And that NIB... 8-)

Too bad your a "cough, cough", Ford guy.

:roll:

A Chevy guy would know what do with them.

:mrgreen:

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 am

Lets clarify, I currently own more Fords the Chevy's right now (3 vs the one and a Buick).......I am well versed in the classic chevy, what if I took my FE out of my '65 F100 and put in that Chevy 454.....

BUt back to the thread...Alpacafarmer, man we are all jealous of your impending freedom...my friend has a well that he was thinking of plugging....but when oil took off in '08...he now drives caddy's....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

Two of the wells on my farm I bought off of the producer when he was going to plug them. He said they didn't produce enough to make it worth his time. I wanted to keep my free gas so I bought them. The oil I sold that first year I figured I didn't make min. wage pumping them but I still had the free gas so I was OK with that. The first tank I sold I got $8.65 a barrel for the oil. Two years ago I sold a load at $140 a barrel. Now I really don't mine setting out there reading a book for $60 and hour.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm

love it 8-)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Wow, I am amazed at your resourcefullness alpacafarmer. This is also my dream to get off grid.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About