What do do with Cash?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What do do with Cash?

Postby coincrazy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 am

I've acquired a grip of cash over the past few months and am looking for some ideas on what to turn it into other than metals, guns, and food. I've already got more of that than I know what to do with.

What would you do with $2000 cash if you felt you already had a good handle on preparedness. (12 months survival without leaving the house.)

Thanks!
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What do do with Cash?

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 am

There's this college student in Missouri...
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

Hang out with Charlie Sheen for an hour.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

How much risk can you handle with your dough? Would you consider some speculation - risk of gain high, but risk of loss could be high too?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby coincrazy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 am

Hanging with charlie sounds fun but i'm not up for #losing. I wonder if he is amassing a coke hoard in his basement in the event TSHTF?

@Country - This cash is pretty much open for whatever. I'd prefer to not lose any of it and only gain but am comfortable with heavy risk as long as it's cash based investments and not through a broker.
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Rare earth metal stocks. There are plenty to choose from Molycorp is the new big name but I like GWMG.
http://investing.money.msn.com/investme ... mbol=GWMGF
I sold all my shares in Jan.to repay a loan to save on the interest.Of course it shot up right after.
China is not going to be exporting anymore,that leaves a big gap that must be filled.
If I had extra funds I'd look to get in on any dips.
It is risky,but there will be some big winners in this niche market.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck on whatever you choose to do.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:29 pm

You could better prepare yourself in the unlikely event there is no market crash and rainbows start popping out of garbage cans. Buy some dividend paying stocks.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:46 am

Spent 6 hours BS-ing with a longtime AG bug as we protected Coin show on Grave yard . He has tracked down most of the Southern Oregon silver dealers an auctions
and has a hobby of buying an selling low dollar lots that no more than $100 and flips them :?: Making more than Gas money :)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:19 am

Just my two coppers, you need cash on hand anyway. I've had very little spare cash the past six months since I closed on my house and have been trying to pay off some startup expenses, and I've felt the squeeze from not having enough cash in hand as unexpected situations come up. Even if you have everything you need to hunker down where you are, contingencies still come up. In the next three weeks I'm going to start putting 20 percent of my paycheck into my own version of a savings account (rolls of half dollars in several large coffee cans hidden around my property) to force myself to set money aside for both my wedding in October and just to have cash in general. I don't mind having less than a dollar in the bank at any given time if I know that all my bills are paid, I've got plenty of food and my gas tank is more than half full. My fiancee, on the other hand, is still trying to wrap her brain around the thought of having a near-zero balance even if everything is paid for, but especially since I'm about to get married, having extra cash on hand is even smarter because we have no idea what situations we might encounter that need cash, especially as we're just getting started, and knowing that cash is available (even if it's hidden somewhere in my bunker) gives my fiancee peace of mind. Bottom line, it's probably better to have a decent amount of cash to fall back on no matter what the situation.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Nickelless wrote:My fiancee, on the other hand, is still trying to wrap her brain around the thought of having a near-zero balance even if everything is paid for, but especially since I'm about to get married, having extra cash on hand is even smarter because we have no idea what situations we might encounter that need cash, especially as we're just getting started, and knowing that cash is available (even if it's hidden somewhere in my bunker) gives my fiancee peace of mind. Bottom line, it's probably better to have a decent amount of cash to fall back on no matter what the situation.
Agreed. Hope she has sense enough to not gossip with her friends about this.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:30 pm

:o That's why I'm buying Ike dollars just cant see the Susan Bs for cash stash :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:19 am

coincrazy might I suggest a book: Handbook To Practical Disaster Prepareness For The Family by Authur T Bradley, PhD

This book is a common sense approach to disaster. If you are concerned about hurricanes, tornados, terrorist attacks, earthquakes, pandemics, financial collapse, widespread blackouts etc. as well as how to deal with these situations, there is plenty of information at your finger tips to ponder. This on the other hand is NOT a book about fighting flesh eating zombies, what to do in case of a cosmic fireball or being shipwrecked with only coconuts and roasted iguana in order to survive.

Being prepared relies on two things: First is a choice to do so and second is up to the individual not anyone else to make sure you are truly safe.

This book is not a cookie cutter approach or just a long shopping list but one allowing the reader to determine their level of comfort. Bradley pulls from his vast background and expert opinion yet conveys a casual approach as he transfers his knowledge and information on to the reader.

At the beginning of the book Bradley outlines three simple goals: (1) motivate you to become better prepared, (2) illustrate how to prepare effectively, and (3) help you to realize your place in a larger movement. Clearly these goals are met and exceeded as the reader pours through 500 plus pages of material with over 240 references cited for additional study.
Copper Catcher

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Assuming you have all your other preps like gas masks, iodine, shortwave radios, and so forth, I'd just start saving until that $2,000 was $10,000 and you could open an account with Peter Schiff's brokerage. That is one of my goals.... only $9,200 to go LOL!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Why don't you use it as seed money to get started sorting halves? You still have your emergency cash, but you have no opportunity cost as it is working for you producing silver.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Kurr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Take a class.

Get certified or knowledgable about something you do not, or think youmight need in SHTF scenario. Survival in various climates/conditions, ham radio, auto mechanics, blacksmithing, musical instrument, machining, pottery, cooking, electronics, public speaking etc etc.

Or become a certified instructor in something, you may know, but not know how to teach effectivly. Extra knowledge never hurts.

You'll pick up extra skills, and in learning something new you retain the ability to learn/adapt fast and get to networkwith interesting people.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby rickygee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I have a large Craftsman top box full of quality USA (OK, some Taiwan and China stuff too) mechanic's tools. I need more taps and dies, but still I've got the SAE and Metric stuff to strip it, fix it and put it back together. Not home owner stuff, not machinist stuff, mechanic...and a lot of it is adaptable to shade tree mechanics... ;) Git 'er done, Hoss! Precious Metal? Well I reckon!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About