Looking for advice on pruning my apple trees

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Looking for advice on pruning my apple trees

Postby Nickelless » Sat May 07, 2011 2:33 am

Here's a post I made earlier this evening on GIM in response to TnAndy's reply to a photo of an apple tree someone else had put up:

TnAndy said of the other person's tree photo, "Looks like an awful small tree to have that much fruit. I remove mine for the first 3 years or so, and don't let them bear."

So I asked, "Andy, my trees are starting to bud. Should I just pluck the buds?"

But I haven't gotten an answer yet. How should I prune the tree at this point to get maximum fruit and overall growth later? This is brand-new to me. Here's a closeup shot of the buds on one of the trees:

Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Looking for advice on pruning my apple trees

Postby AGCoinHunter » Sat May 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Yes,pick the buds off for the first few years to let the roots establish. On your other thread you had I posted a link about pruning the tree. You want a few main branches and thats it. You want everything going to establish the root system.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About