Unpowered 'power tools'

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Unpowered 'power tools'

Postby psi » Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 am

Recently I found a 2-speed 'eggbeater' style hand cranked drill at a pawn shop, a Stanley no 742. We have a similar single speed drill that was a family heirloom, but lacking the lower gear it's difficult to use for higher torque applications. Changing gears on the 2-speed is accomplished by removing the entire crank and placing it in a different position. The tool is extremely heavy but it still works and I thought it was an interesting piece of history. In searching for information on the new drill I came across a page on hand cranked drill presses which looks interesting: http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm

In the last little while I have made a few visits to the shop of a family friend who is a retired sheet metal worker and I was surprised to see how many of the heaviest pieces of machinery are operated by muscle power alone. It's got me thinking that it's handy to have tools that will work when the power is out, which may well happen for extended periods increasingly in the future. The antique tools are built for extreme durability, but I guess there are probably some more recent versions that would weigh less without sacrificing longevity. For lighter work a push drill would be handy to have, but I have not come across one in my travels.

Aside from tools that were designed for use with human power in the first place, there's also adapting normally motorized tools to be powered by pedal/bicycle power for example. There is a book called "The Human Powered Home" that someone had from the library that had information on many such tools, from grinders to food blenders.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Unpowered 'power tools'

Postby Mossy » Tue May 31, 2011 1:08 pm

I lived off the grid for a long time. Hand power tools are around, and are certainly good to have.

However, be prepared to spend more for the hand power tool than for the low cost electrics. Gas powered drills cost a heck of a lot, too.

Good luck finding a gas powered hammer drill or rotary hammer. The cavers were buying them up, back when I was looking for one.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Unpowered 'power tools'

Postby OX6603 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:10 am

Some hand powered tools would certainly be good to have. Never gave it much thought. I'll keep my eyes peeled, there's got to be plenty around here in PA amish country.
OX6603

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About