What time is it?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

What time is it?

Postby rickygee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 am

OK, the power is off, your radio controlled (atomic) clock is now unregulated. Sooner or later the batteries in clocks, wrist watches, etc die. So how are you going to tell time?

I have two wind up clocks. An old Big Ben alarm clock that requires a wind every 24 hours and a wall clock with a 31 day movement. Neither is very accurate.

How important is real time in a scenario where the average zombie is only concerned with 'dinnertime'?
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Re: What time is it?

Postby slickeast » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:31 pm

sun dial?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Why I carry around Mik Dundee around in my back pocket. Besides always knowing the time he also provides some great survival tips and carries a big knife...
Last edited by AGCoinHunter on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Date display,31 jewels automatic movement, Scratch resistant sapphire crystal. Water resistant at 100 meters.....and no Batteries needed.

Problem solved ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Coin shops sometimes have boxes full of watches. No idea how many of them are worth buying.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Image

Date display,31 jewels automatic movement, Scratch resistant sapphire crystal. Water resistant at 100 meters.....and no Batteries needed.

Problem solved ;)

You just need to spend several grand to get it. No big deal.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Would accurate time matter to you after the shtf?

Time is kind of westernized in a way. When Britan colonized what is now India they built clock towers all over the place because the locals didnt care about accurate time.

When you go traveling and see how other cultures live accurate time is never a part of that culture unless its westernized or industrialized. In my opinion it wont be necessary when the shtf
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive. Powered by light and keeps pretty good time. Under $500....

Deal

p.s. Been looking for a nice Rolex though. I'm just too tight, hehe.
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby psi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 am

GPS will give accurate time but eventually it would stop working if they stopped replacing satellites (or possibly if they locked out civilian users). Some will tell you sunrise & sunset etc. too. I'm not sure I would really care what time it was exactly though, looking at the sky will give you a pretty good idea of how much daylight is left unless it's very overcast. If civilization ends I expect my schedule will be pretty open in terms of things I have to be exactly on time for.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:10 am

slickeast wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Image

Problem solved ;)

You just need to spend several grand to get it. No big deal.

Or marry someone that already has one... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Delawhere Jack » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 pm

"The clock on the wall says three o'clock... Last call....for alcohol!"

One Bourbon, one Scotch and one beer
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About