New Gun

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

New Gun

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

I'm such a tightwad. This cheapskate thinks nothing of skimping on ALL of life's necessities, just to be able to stack more. However, due to the crap happening in London... and Thogey's incessant nagging :oops: I ordered my FIRST gun last night at Big Five. Last day of sale-priced Mossberg500 Security for $288. Also got a bunch of shells, even a box with a slug surrounded by shot, so I can shoot out someone's engine block. I know you old hands are thinking "f-----g Noob," but I think it's cool anyway. Now I just need to find someone snooping in my garage, so I can practice with it. The range is too far. :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: New Gun

Postby justoneguy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 am

Now you won't need an axe to gather firewood while camping. :lol:
great buy + good instinct actually purchasing it.
now Practice practice.
I know a shotgun the easiest to defend yourself with,
but it's nice to be comfortable shooting.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am

beauanderos you really should have waited and purchased this:

Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG) a 7 + 7 +1 Round Shotgun!

The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 14 rounds of 12 gage 2-3/4" rounds (7 per tube). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.
Copper Catcher

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:29 am

Perfect,

Consider some 00 buck shot. Don't you live in an apartment? I stay loaded with buckshot because I'd hate to hit someone behind an adjacent wall.

Just something to consider. Be careful to store your weapon in a place where an intruder won't use it to kill you.

That would be damn embarrasing.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

Dude you also have to take it out and practice. Bird shot is cheap. But you should still shoot up a box of your personal protection ammo. It feels a lot different.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 am

Copper Catcher wrote:beauanderos you really should have waited and purchased this:

Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG) a 7 + 7 +1 Round Shotgun!

The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 14 rounds of 12 gage 2-3/4" rounds (7 per tube). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

NICE looking weapon, John. Let's just see em try to burn and loot on your block now! :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Mossy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:01 pm

beauanderos wrote:Now I just need to find someone snooping in my garage, so I can practice with it. The range is too far. :lol:

Never joke about it. Ever. A DA can send you to prison if you actually have to shoot someone.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm

If you shoot and kill someone you are in deep doo doo, it's going to be a hassle. You may have to move for fear of reprisal.

Given that fact: S**t! I'll joke about it all day long.

I don't know about CA, but if you come into my house with bad intentions, you are dead. You are hamburger.

If I go to prison for killing a homeboy breaking into my stuff and threatening my family, that's just fine. What option do you have?

Just lay down and let some homebiscut do what they want to you? Easy decision.

I'll tell a funny joke now: invade my house and if I can help it, you will die.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:22 pm

That’s a good choice Ray. As the others have pointed out, you do need to take it to the range and log a box or two of shells. It’s your first but it shouldn’t be your last. Firearms are awesome tools and they can be a heck of a lot of fun to learn about, shoot, and collect.

Yeah Eric It's open season on uninvited house guest here as well. Cool thing is there is no bag limit. Yard and porch prowlers are still out of season for direct hits. Air shots, however, are welcomed.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:That’s a good choice Ray. As the others have pointed out, you do need to take it to the range and log a box or two of shells. It’s your first but it shouldn’t be your last. Firearms are awesome tools and they can be a heck of a lot of fun to learn about, shoot, and collect.

Yeah Eric It's open season on uninvited house guest here as well. Cool thing is there is no bag limit. Yard and porch prowlers are still out of season for direct hits. Air shots, however, are welcomed.

I'm thinkin Glock17 next 8-)
beauanderos

Postby natsb88 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:39 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:That’s a good choice Ray. As the others have pointed out, you do need to take it to the range and log a box or two of shells. It’s your first but it shouldn’t be your last. Firearms are awesome tools and they can be a heck of a lot of fun to learn about, shoot, and collect.

I'm thinkin Glock17 next 8-)

Plastic? Ew. :lol:
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Think 1911!
Thogey

Postby Rosco » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Buy what you can afford let the Big Guns do their thing and you do yours, but do practice :idea: Carry it out in PVC tube for concealment don't get the neighbors in a twist :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby TXTim » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Mossburg 500- great gun- my first!
Bought it in '72. Can't tell you how many deer & birds that gun has killed.
Very versatile. Comes out every fall.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Rosco wrote:Buy what you can afford let the Big Guns do their thing and you do yours, but do practice :idea: Carry it out in PVC tube for concealment don't get the neighbors in a twist :lol:

"Hey...psssst... Albert. Albert! Come here! "Whuttt? Fer Criminy's Sake Bertha, whutt is it NOW?" "That nut case next door who is always dumping coin wrappers in the dumpster is out with his stupid PVC pipe again. Look how cocky he acts when he walks with that thing, probably pretends its a gun or something, the damned simpleton."
beauanderos

Postby glass » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Great all around gun
Shoots alot of differnt rounds
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Thogey wrote:If you shoot and kill someone you are in deep doo doo, it's going to be a hassle. You may have to move for fear of reprisal.

You might have to move to a location of your choice, or you can be required to moved to a location of the Judge's choice. Such jokes can mean the difference between a "self defense" ruling and walking free, or "This psychotic was just waiting for an excuse to MURDER someone! Guilty! Throw him in jail forever!".

Check the self defence forums, especially

concealedcarryforum.com

A bunch of cops hang out there, and they've seen it all.

Never, ever, joke about shooting people. Ever. Don't do it.

Don't make threats, either.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I have a few guns. honestly im not sure I could use one if I had to. Before anyone jumps on me for that Id point out that I HAVE been in a life or death situation before. Id also point out if you look at the stats for deterring crime the vast bulk never have to use their weapons...

right when I opened this thread I got a call from the NRA telling me that the UN is after americas guns. this is indeed true, despite our leaders rhetoric. but dang I sure would hate to see that happen. For one I spent a lot of cash on my rifles and revolvers. (yep Im old school) but mostly because I think wed see rivers of blood in the streets..... and they know it.... worst part is you never de arm criminals anyway.... never will. its basically impossible. Id hate to live in a country where only the law and the crooks have the ability to use weapons.... rarely does that turn out well especially if its in a country that historically was armed.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm

I have a semi-tongue-in-cheek theory with which I love to taunt the anti-gun lobby, that if every non-felon was *REQUIRED* to carry 24/7, that the entire country would be a whole lot more civil to each other, and violence and crime in general would drop by a factor of 100. I believe there was a classic sci-fi book (one of Heinlein's?) that had that as a premise, if I'm not mistaken, so it's not an original thought.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:30 pm

How did I miss this thread? Oh well, I'm here now, hehe

Nice pick up on the 500. I have one myself. Plenty of loads for it, but you really need to get out and shoot it a bit with several different types of ammo. I got to play with the KSG at the SHOT show in January. Pretty freakin cool. I might have to get one when they are available....

As for the pistol, do you really want a Glock? TONS of other options out there. Please try before you buy. It's hard to go wrong with a shotgun, but a pistol is another thing entirely. The gun must fit you.

Treetop, I know of at least one other person here who has been in a life or death situation at least once....

Oh yeah, before I forget. In my state a "good" shooting in your house is an absolute defence. Justified. Allowed. Maybe even encouraged.... Saying you will shoot an intruder is not a problem. Now, holding him hostage and really making him pay like he should, that might be an issue, hehe. So basically if someone comes into my house uninvited they'll get smoked. Plain and simple. Do I want to do it? No. Would I and could I? Absolutely.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Verbane » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:11 pm

beauanderos wrote:"Hey...psssst... Albert. Albert! Come here! "Whuttt? Fer Criminy's Sake Bertha, whutt is it NOW?" "That nut case next door who is always dumping coin wrappers in the dumpster... "

No better place to mention this. All my coin wrappers go into the fire pit on the patio, along with any addressed mail.

Mossberg shotguns are great all around shooters. I've used mine for deer, turkey, waterfowl, and small game. Familiarization is key, look at getting a good .22 rifle next. It's a good starter round and cheap to shoot. If you can find it, a good used or new Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 would be at the top of the list.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 am

Half my rationale for making purchases is "are they on sale" at the local sporting goods store. They're advertising $20 off this week ($259) on a "tactical" .22 semi-auto rimfire rifle. Six position adjustable stock, 10 round magazine

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=43

Also thinking about picking up their Famous Trails "Marauder" Night Vision Monocular. Discounted by half price to $99.99. The promo Walmart used to have at $50 is over (dagnabbit). If the lights go out, only having a flashlite might not be the best case scenario. Thoughts, everyone?

http://dealspl.us/product/famous-trails ... -monocular
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:29 am

A 22LR rifle (and pistol, as a pair) is a great asset. I personally bought of like type with interchangable magazines between the two so I only have to stock one type. I have a pile of basic ammo for practice, but I also stock CCI "stinger" ammo, which - while not a full substitute for higher energy solutions (whether rifle or pistol) - delivers a heck of a wallop for cheap, in a small minimum recoil package.

On ammo, Wal-Mart, no matter what else you may think of it, is almost always your price leader in most common name-brand ammo. Some can be bought mail order for less, but (for me) not so much less that it's worth the bother versus just popping in to my closest wal-mart when I'm already driving by it. Assuming they carry it in Fresno Wal-Marts - no accounting for California rules as you all are "different" out there. ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Kurr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

I still prefer my BP revolver.

I can cast my own lead balls for BGs, hunting and practice, silver balls for vampires, werewolves and zombies. I can load shot for snakes/birds/squirrels. Heck I could probably cram sand/salt/glass down into the cylinder and it would still go. I can also adjust from 2-5 grains of powder to about 26 grains (full cylinder).

Good pickup on the mossberg, I almost got a pistol grip one earlier this year for 100.00, but I have my browning 12 ga autoloader with polychoke (it was grandpa's).
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby mongo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:48 am

Congrats on your new gun purchase. I hope and pray that you never have to use it on anybody. One thing you will want to do is check your state laws on when deadly force is justified. i live in Missouri and we have the castle doctrine here which says you are justified in useing deadly force IF CERTAIN CRITERIA IS MET. Its good for you to arm yourself with knowledge because if you ever have to do that then you know the law and the hassle factor goes way down. Also something to remember if it ever comes to that is you only need to say 2 things. #1 I felt like my life was in danger and #2 I want to speak to my attorney. Nothing more because what you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About