Buying Coins From Strangers

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Buying Coins From Strangers

Postby nero12345 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:51 am

For awhile now i've had an ad on Kijiji buying Canadian and American silver coins. I've done pretty well at it buying 2-3 times a week at about 15x face for Can. and 20X face for U.S. . I've always taken all the steps to protect myself and my family by not giving out my address and only doing trades and sales at busy donut shops. This guy a few days ago emailed me and we met and I bought about 30 silver coins for a great price. But the first two emails he sent he wanted to know my address. I didn't give it to him telling him why. Well after we met i took a different drive home as I felt weird about the whole thing and noticed the guy following me for awhile. Well he gave up long before i got home but i wondering if i was losing it or if the fella was just curious about a guy collecting coins. Here in the maritimes, especially where i'm from, it's sort of small town and everyone wants to know what everyone else is doing. Think this is the case or what. Fella was about 50 years old. Just wonder what your take is on this.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: Buying Coins From Strangers

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 am

You'll never really know what he was up to. I would send him an email asking why he was following you after the deal was made. Just because he is 50 or so doesn't mean he is a good guy. Remain vigilant....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HD-Daddy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 am

Scary! Be wary my friend. Good headsup for you though.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:50 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:You'll never really know what he was up to. I would send him an email asking why he was following you after the deal was made. Just because he is 50 or so doesn't mean he is a good guy. Remain vigilant....

Deal

Just thought I'd add it in there. Truth be told it doesn't matter if he's 20-30-50 years old, they can all do the same thing if they were inclined to.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 pm

I usually linger at the location after I make a deal with someone. Make a mental note of what they are driving. Make a phone call or make some notes on a piece of paper, anything to delay leaving the parking lot. Drive the opposite direction that you live. If you suspect you are being followed, make a few random stops.

Try to avoid using your last name. The less they know about you the better.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm

My choice of preference is to meet at an outdoor mall, the ones that are surrounded with parking lots/structures. That way the odds of you parking next to said stranger are slim to none. You can also meet at a target or wal-mart, the ones with a subway or Mcdonald's inside, and just do some shopping afterwards or grab a bite.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pachucko » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 pm

I take a little different approach. Definitely meet in a public area, I've always done a "big box" store. After the transaction I promptly una** the area. As others have said, don't go directly home and make sure you aren't being followed. For the last two high-dollar (for me - LOL) deals I did I took my wife. She was in the car, with it running, and had taken down the info on the other vehicle.

Also, I placed a CL ad a while back as a seller (scrap gold). This guy contacted me, agreed to my asking price with no haggling, and asked for my address. Smart fellow that I am, I told him I'd meet him anywhere in town, any time he wanted. he must have asked for my address at least three times and said he'd save me the trouble and come by, and I told him the same thing as well every time. He didn't respond to my last e-mail and that was the end of it. In retrospect I should have called the cops.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 am

Pachucko wrote:I take a little different approach. Definitely meet in a public area, I've always done a "big box" store. After the transaction I promptly una** the area. As others have said, don't go directly home and make sure you aren't being followed. For the last two high-dollar (for me - LOL) deals I did I took my wife. She was in the car, with it running, and had taken down the info on the other vehicle.

Also, I placed a CL ad a while back as a seller (scrap gold). This guy contacted me, agreed to my asking price with no haggling, and asked for my address. Smart fellow that I am, I told him I'd meet him anywhere in town, any time he wanted. he must have asked for my address at least three times and said he'd save me the trouble and come by, and I told him the same thing as well every time. He didn't respond to my last e-mail and that was the end of it. In retrospect I should have called the cops.

Well I was wondering if I should let the cops know. I don't know, my instinct tells me something funny was a foot but it really could have been nothing at all. I do use the same security tactics every time and never really feel odd about it.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 am

A couple of years ago, I saw an article about a pair of armed robbers, very atheletic, jumping over a counter in a store and pretty good shots. Mid 60's. They had stayed in shape by working out in the prison they had just been released from. These guys were the sort that should be shot on sight. I don't recall if the jeweler they were robbing killed both, I hope so.

As a diversion, maybe swing by a bank with safe deposit boxes? Don't have to have a box, just stop there. Banks also have cameras inside.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Every town has a public library, and most are equipped with video and some sort of community room. It's less hectic than a chain parking lot and certainly more civilized.

The last guy I bought from was leery on the phone, until I suggested we meet at his local library. He thought that was a great idea.

For a really large deal...yeah, a bank might be better.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby PennyBoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:46 am

When you guys say banks, do you go inside to transact with said stranger? If so, how does the bank feel about that? Just curious as I have never done that.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 am

PennyBoy wrote:When you guys say banks, do you go inside to transact with said stranger? If so, how does the bank feel about that? Just curious as I have never done that.

I think what the fellas mean about the bank is that if you stop by they might think you store your stuff in a safety deposit box and not your house. The banks around here would not let you do business there.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:42 am

This reminds me...once I was leaving a friends home years ago after playing pool till the early morning hours...coming out of his 'hood I turned onto a divided four lane road...I was having trouble seeing since it was so late....so I followed this car...I followed that car for about 5 miles...the car finally stopped in the middle of the street and the driver got out...seemed a little upset that I was following them...the car actually stopped right in front of my house...the driver was the date of the girl that lived across the street from me. Needless to say with my false sense of courage I told him to get the hell out my way so I can get in my driveway....true story. Be vigilant, now your area, dont be alone, be careful, pack well.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Pachucko » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm

nero12345 wrote:Well I was wondering if I should let the cops know. I don't know, my instinct tells me something funny was a foot but it really could have been nothing at all. I do use the same security tactics every time and never really feel odd about it.

Trust your "gut," you won't go wrong. Modern society has trained our God-given instincts out of us!!
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 pm

I read somewhere that if you make three right turns and a car is still behind you, then yes, they're following you. I have my hand on my Glock's grip at all times when getting in and out of the car in unfamiliar areas.
Nickelless

Postby nero12345 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:42 am

[quote="Nickelless"]I read somewhere that if you make three right turns and a car is still behind you, then yes, they're following you. I have my hand on my Glock's grip at all times when getting in and out of the car in unfamiliar areas.[/q

Well the debate has gone on for years on whether Canadians are more trusting/nieve than Americans. But I can honestly say that not carrying a hand gun and certainly not having my finger on the trigger may be a luxury I have here in the maritimes. Now that being said, when doing trades i do carry a handgun and hate every second I have it on me. I don't leave it in my car when im done and have many riffles at home for hunting and protection in my gun case. I'm trying to understand this, I have many American friends here in Canada and living in the states, and they all tell me to have a gun in the car all the time for security. If i had a gun in my hand when driving, how could i flip someone off.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pachucko » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:55 pm

nero12345 wrote:If i had a gun in my hand when driving, how could i flip someone off.

:lol:
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 pm

nero12345 wrote:
Nickelless wrote:I read somewhere that if you make three right turns and a car is still behind you, then yes, they're following you. I have my hand on my Glock's grip at all times when getting in and out of the car in unfamiliar areas.[/q

Well the debate has gone on for years on whether Canadians are more trusting/nieve than Americans. But I can honestly say that not carrying a hand gun and certainly not having my finger on the trigger may be a luxury I have here in the maritimes. Now that being said, when doing trades i do carry a handgun and hate every second I have it on me. I don't leave it in my car when im done and have many riffles at home for hunting and protection in my gun case. I'm trying to understand this, I have many American friends here in Canada and living in the states, and they all tell me to have a gun in the car all the time for security. If i had a gun in my hand when driving, how could i flip someone off.

Huh....

Can I ask why? You shouldn't "hate" the fact that you are ready willing to protect yourself. Now, I don't ride around with my finger on the trigger or anything like that, but I'm always armed. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Can you enlighten me on a few of your gun laws? I kinda know the process you have to go through to buy/possess firearms, but I was not aware that you guys could carry a handgun on you. (Pretty sure that barrels under 4" are prohibited completely, right?) Is this an additional permit, or is it included in your permit to possess them? My understanding is that it is illegal for everyday citizens to carry, and even for most cops as well. Please sir enlighten me, hehe.

Kinda funny, since I have a gun on me I don't flip anybody off. In fact, I'm more passive I guess. I've learned to let most everything just slide.... Just walk away, hehe.

Deal

p.s. Canadians aren't more trusting or naive than Americans, they're just Canadians, hehe. Guns are an American pastime. At least for me....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Mossy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 am

nero12345 wrote: But I can honestly say that not carrying a hand gun and certainly not having my finger on the trigger may be a luxury I have here in the maritimes. Now that being said, when doing trades i do carry a handgun and hate every second I have it on me.

I don't understand this, either. Not literally, and not as any sort of metaphor. Nobody I know who carries walks around with a finger on the trigger attitude; cops look for that sort of attitude.

And if you hate to carry, then you probably will not use the handgun when you need to. A bandit would then get a handgun as a bonus, and probably kick you to death out of contempt because you did not use it.

BTW, if you check the stats, Canada's crime rate along the southern border is about the same as the US crime rate just south of the border. Crime is highest where certain minority groups are densest. (Which minority group is high crime varies over time, and some of the most peaceful groups today were the most violent a couple hundred years ago. Norwegians and Danes, for example.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Check the stats and you will find that the most southern city in Canada has not had a murder or homicide in over 2 years. Even though it is just a river away from Detroit it is a different country. Its not the people you have to worry about, its the cops that have a get out of jail free card

My opinion is follow your gut instincts. That being said... you live in the maritimes you are allowed to be unsuspecting of danger. Everyone knows everyone there. I also believe you are geting a great deal on coins.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Mossy wrote:
nero12345 wrote: But I can honestly say that not carrying a hand gun and certainly not having my finger on the trigger may be a luxury I have here in the maritimes. Now that being said, when doing trades i do carry a handgun and hate every second I have it on me.

I don't understand this, either. Not literally, and not as any sort of metaphor. Nobody I know who carries walks around with a finger on the trigger attitude; cops look for that sort of attitude.

And if you hate to carry, then you probably will not use the handgun when you need to. A bandit would then get a handgun as a bonus, and probably kick you to death out of contempt because you did not use it.

BTW, if you check the stats, Canada's crime rate along the southern border is about the same as the US crime rate just south of the border. Crime is highest where certain minority groups are densest. (Which minority group is high crime varies over time, and some of the most peaceful groups today were the most violent a couple hundred years ago. Norwegians and Danes, for example.)

This is true that crimes rates per 100000 people are the same, have been for years. The fact is there are far more people in the US than in Canada hence you actually have more crime. Also if it came down to me protecting myself and laying someone out, I'd rather be the one carrying the casket than the one in it. It is tough to get a handgun permit in Canada, but we don't all play by the law all the time do we. This was never supposed to become a debate on which nation is better, each have ups and downs. Someone followed me after a deal I made and it was weird that's all. Thanks for all the helpfull insight and forget all the rest.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:
nero12345 wrote:
Nickelless wrote:I read somewhere that if you make three right turns and a car is still behind you, then yes, they're following you. I have my hand on my Glock's grip at all times when getting in and out of the car in unfamiliar areas.[/q

Huh....

Can I ask why? You shouldn't "hate" the fact that you are ready willing to protect yourself. Now, I don't ride around with my finger on the trigger or anything like that, but I'm always armed. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Can you enlighten me on a few of your gun laws? I kinda know the process you have to go through to buy/possess firearms, but I was not aware that you guys could carry a handgun on you. (Pretty sure that barrels under 4" are prohibited completely, right?) Is this an additional permit, or is it included in your permit to possess them? My understanding is that it is illegal for everyday citizens to carry, and even for most cops as well. Please sir enlighten me, hehe.

Kinda funny, since I have a gun on me I don't flip anybody off. In fact, I'm more passive I guess. I've learned to let most everything just slide.... Just walk away, hehe.

Deal

p.s. Canadians aren't more trusting or naive than Americans, they're just Canadians, hehe. Guns are an American pastime. At least for me....

Our gun laws are quite strict in Canada as far as handguns go. In saying that I've met no man our woman that hasn't broke the law. In saying that, I've got one and enough said. Would I hate to have to shoot someone, yes, would I do it if I felt I or my family was in danger, absolutely. Anyway this was brought up by a comment someone made about having their finger on the trigger when driving into a unknown place. I wouldn't do a trade without it being in a very public place so that doesn't apply here. If you want enlightned on Canadas firearms laws I'm sure the internet may have something you can look up, but as for me , I too am very passive and arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:47 pm

nero12345 wrote: arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.

Above is very True

Now I need to Work on being more Passive ;)
I Know gestures with long barrel revolver can have Unintended results :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby getdong » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm

nero12345 wrote:For awhile now i've had an ad on Kijiji buying Canadian and American silver coins. I've done pretty well at it buying 2-3 times a week at about 15x face for Can. and 20X face for U.S. . I've always taken all the steps to protect myself and my family by not giving out my address and only doing trades and sales at busy donut shops. This guy a few days ago emailed me and we met and I bought about 30 silver coins for a great price. But the first two emails he sent he wanted to know my address. I didn't give it to him telling him why. Well after we met i took a different drive home as I felt weird about the whole thing and noticed the guy following me for awhile. Well he gave up long before i got home but i wondering if i was losing it or if the fella was just curious about a guy collecting coins. Here in the maritimes, especially where i'm from, it's sort of small town and everyone wants to know what everyone else is doing. Think this is the case or what. Fella was about 50 years old. Just wonder what your take is on this.

Personally I don't fret too much about this stuff.That said you should always be cauteious dealing with strangers, especially when dealing with strangers and larger amounts of money. You hear a lot about craigslist robberies most often people will set up a deal for a car or expensive electronic and rob people but some people do it over little crap like an iphone.

I think meeting in a public place with high traffic during daytime hours is pretty safe though. With larger sums of money I like to meet at a bank and give the guy a cashiers check or accept a cashiers check. That way either you or them dont have a large amount of cash on them and its in a pretty secure location you guys are doing the trade.
getdong
Penny Sorter Member

Postby nero12345 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Well I've thought about this for while now and the other day the mailman asked me if still collected coins. I asked him how he knew that and he said"well you get all those coin magazines and small packages." Kind of caught me off guard a little but said it was mostly the kids that collected. I was quick enough to mention that I get gun magazines to.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About