Cigs and booze as bartering items

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Cigs and booze as bartering items

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am

I don't smoke or drink, but I was thinking about getting some cigs and alcohol for bartering items.

I know the cigs won't stay fresh for ever though. Anyone here know what is the average shelf life of cigerettes is? Is there a way of storing cigs to keep them fresh longer? I thought about using plastic bags and a vacuum sealer.

Any ideas on which alcoholic beverages would be best? I was thinking about Jack Daniels, Vodka and Rum.

Thanks!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Cigs and booze as bartering items

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 am

Can't help you with the cigs, but, for the booze, I suggest something with a known and recognized brand. Nothing obscure or fancy liquers. Jack Daniels is expensive and you probably don't need that. I'd tell the clerk in the store you're having a party and don;t want to serve rotgut to your friends and what would they suggest. No "house" brands certainly if you can afford to avoid those. I also wouldn't buy the large 1.75 liter bottles either.

I'd also concentrate on items such as extra packs of batteries. They have a much longer shelf life than cigs and are more useful to almost everyone. Certainly a good barter item in my opinion.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 am

Perhaps learning to make your own alcholol to drink might be the better idea as both cigarettes and booze do have a "shelf life" whereas a SKILL is permanent.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 pm

For cigs you can store them in the freezer to maintain freshness. However, I do not know how long they stay fresh.

For alcohol, this is what I would do, see this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7924

As barrytrot said, you can always learn to make your own beer or wine. I think the laws become a little trickier when you try your hand at spirits. Not sure where you live but you can also try to grow tobacco. Another idea is instead of storing cigs you can store tobacco and/or roll your own cigs. Much more cost effective. Anyone at a smoke shop should have better answers for you.

Good Luck!
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Cans of cigarette tobacco might be the most economical way to go as far as smokes. With regard to liquor, the only thing I'm planning at this point to stock is whiskey, primarily for its potency as a topical disinfectant for wounds, but also as a barter and/or bribery item.
Nickelless

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Go ahead and store up some Dewars white label scotch in 1/5ths.

PM me your info and when TSHTF I know where to refuge.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 pm

While you're at it, freeze dry some cigars for me. I'll throw open my vault to you when the time comes.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About