Personal Safety and Protection

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Personal Safety and Protection

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:40 pm

In thinking about being prepared I tend to think about personal safety and protection at home and at work. In doing so, I have looked at both lethal and non lethal means, seeking to find the greatest level of protection where I felt the most comfortable.

After doing my research this is what I have found concerning non lethal protection.

First, let me say that in my opinion one of the easiest and best non lethal methods of protection is walking or running if need be in the other direction!

Yet if a confrontation is about to take place I like having the option of having a Kimber Pepper Blaster II in my pocket or better yet in my hand.

Obviously this is limited in its ability to be effective because this device is only a two shot deal. However with the element of surprise on your side I view this as a quick: point, shoot, drop and run in the opposite direction method is better than nothing at all.

The 10% OC spray is in a gun shaped device that has a little swing away tab at the trigger point which prevents accidental firing. Howver when you do pull the triggger the blast travels at 90 MPH which translates up to thirteen feet in one tenth of a second. It sells for around $40 so it is cheap protection in my opinion.

The next thing I have looked at which is ten times the price of the Kimber Pepper Blaster II and I consider much more extreme but probably twice as effective which is the consumer version Taser C2: http://www.taser.com/.

I think each person has to really evaluate what they are going to be willing to carry on a daily basis and or what they are willing to use.

Regardless of what you have, if 100% of the time it sits on the closest shelf or stuffed in a drawer somewhere and not on your person it is not going to help you much when a time of crisis comes.

The best personal protection is a plan! Making sure you are safe is an "active process" that requires you to keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings at all times. If a crisis arises know what you response will be before it happens!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Personal Safety and Protection

Postby Mossy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 am

Pepper spray drawback: People who eat lots of chiles are very resistant to pepper spray. I've heard stories about teen agers spraying each other for fun, too.

Someone I know who got sprayed charged the guy that sprayed him. Missed, but, if he had not, the guy with the spray would have been torn to shreds (deserved it, too). Jump sideways if you spray someone. Better, jump behind something for him to run into.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

I never leave home without one of my handguns, but in lieu of firearms, what about bear repellant? I've heard that that stuff is several times more potent than regular pepper spray. Can't say I've seen many bears here in the Midwest, though.
Nickelless

Postby Mossy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:56 pm

That's what I hear about bear spray, too. No idea about the legal aspects of using it on humans.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

The Kimber pepper blasters are pretty cool, I've shot one of those too, hehe. We sell a lot of them at the shop. Even though it projects the spray hard and fast, a real strong wind will have you wishing you hadn't shot it.... I promise, hehe.

Pepper spray doesn't always work, but either does a Taser. Depends on the state of mind of the assailant. I didn't know it at the time, but I volunteered to get hit with a cell phone type taser. All it did was piss me off at the guy that hit me with it. And I'm not all hyped up on drugs or anything, or a big guy.

I have a question for ya. Who gets the less-than lethal treatment? One guy at a time? Several?

Although some states regulate them, what about a collapsible baton? A few whacks on the knee of a bad guy should allow you get away.

I say pack some heat....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 am

Pepper spray/mace/foam generally does not work to deter an assailant who's in full attack mode - and in some cases can escalate the situation. I would be particularly hesitant to use it in a crowded area. But it can buy you precious time to escape, which in most self-defense type situations is the main objective if you couldn't avoid the situation in the first place.

But that's irrelevant to many situations because if you're caught by surprise it can be very hard to produce something from your pocket. Consider the Tueller Drill - if it's difficult for a trained officer to remove his sidearm from a holster, for a civilian with less training to produce something concealed when absolutely needed is impractical.

Tasers and stun guns regulations vary widely by state. Both devices also require more accuracy and skill to use than pepper spray.

Mossy wrote:Pepper spray drawback: People who eat lots of chiles are very resistant to pepper spray.

Not true, unless you happen across the rare person who eats chilies with their eyeballs and nostrils. This is just an excuse used by some police departments to use more physical force with certain ethnicities.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DRP270 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm

I agree --somewhat more resistant would be more accurate. I eat more and hotter stuff than anyone I know and still if I rub my eyes with a little habanero sauce residue it gets me but I can still open my eyes if I have to. A full blown spray, not so sure. But I am more resistant as that habanero residue does not bother my hand but I have met people who after shaking hands with the residue tell of the burning sensation I do not feel. Early in my courtship I learned not to kiss after eating as her lips burned.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

DRP270, likewise. Also after picking peppers some as a kid.

Makes taking a leak after picking a while, uh, "interesting"? the first few days, but not an issue after a couple of weeks.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DRP270 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Mossy wrote:DRP270, likewise. Also after picking peppers some as a kid.

Makes taking a leak after picking a while, uh, "interesting"? the first few days, but not an issue after a couple of weeks.

Leak not a problem. #2 another story :lol: . I always say, if you think it burns now (when you eat it) wait until tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol: .

When I go camping with the Scouts they look for the habanero sauce. Not only for their food but because it clears stopped-up noses (a drop or two on the finger does the trick) :lol: . Several dads report needing to buy it because their kid requests it :D . I am a bad (yet good) influence.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

I carry a small pocket knife an use it often to open packages an candy wrappers but you still need the will to use :!:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Ooooo. Hot sauce for sinus spray. Eeek. Suppose it works.

Oddly, I've never had a problem the next day.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Kurr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:39 pm

I carry a 3 blade pocket knife for food/carving/delicate work. I carry a large lockback for bigger/rougher tasks.

I carry a collapsable baton.

I can pull it and have 4 inches of weighted steel pipe projecting from a reverse full grip or flip it out to expose 3 feet of steel pipe that promises something water won't wash away.

And I carry my 1851 .36 Navy revolver which has 5 loaded cylinders and is almost a foot of steel weighing almost 2 lbs for when it's empty.

I use to carry a kubaton on my keyring.

I do not carry "stun guns".... they seem too dangerous!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby Mossy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm

Rosco wrote:I carry a small pocket knife an use it often to open packages an candy wrappers but you still need the will to use :!:

Try to get it out quickly.

Knives are pretty useless for self defense, IMO. By the time you recognise the problem, find the knife, and get it out, and open it you are probably bleeding out on the floor.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coincrazy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Wasp spray! it comes in a huge can, it's cheap, can find it at almost any store and it sprays 10-15 feet.

Sprays are not as good as other deterrents because you can be affected by it just as easily.
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:31 pm

My non-lethal protection of choice:

Edited to add: Just read Deal's post. Forgot that some states don't allow them.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About