The Canadian Government is the biggest coin sorter!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: The Canadian Government is the biggest coin sorter!

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:59 pm

any foreign coins which are by law made current[/b] or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;

Looks like that go back to a 1806 Law see http://www.bobsuniverse.com/BWAH/03-Jefferson/18060421a.pdf I know that Spanish silver was used in the US then.

Also I found this on melting US silver--http://www.coinflation.com/is_it_illegal_to_melt_coins.html
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thaler » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:12 pm

and now Canada has a new plastic (poly) hundred dollar bill.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 am

thaler wrote:and now Canada has a new plastic (poly) hundred dollar bill.

They are just following suite with Australia. The penny will be gone next!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby dpwozney » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:17 pm

dpwozney wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:so some are zinc and some are steel.

I have found that about one-half, of the Canadian pennies minted from 2000 to present, are not magnetic. All of the 2010-2011 Canadian pennies that I have tried are not magnetic.

Since late summer, I have noticed several 2011 Canadian pennies that are magnetic.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 pm

I would keep those magnetic 2011 pennies for now
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dpwozney » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:37 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:I would keep those magnetic 2011 pennies for now

Thanks, I agree, and I have kept all 2011 Canadian magnetic pennies. I have a total of ten, all just from change returned at stores.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby GGerrands » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I think "current" in that instance means "used as currency" within the United States. But don't ask me to depose that under oath!
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 am

GGerrands wrote:I think "current" in that instance means "used as currency" within the United States. But don't ask me to depose that under oath!

+1
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:43 am

wow! a government trying to make money at any means,instead of the other way around??
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wbeck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 am

Smart of Canada to be sorting. If they were really smart they'd be doing pennies too, but perhaps the replacement cost (since they have to make a cheap new one to replace the melted ones) makes it not make sense.

If it is in fact the case that you can export Canadian money no problem, AND legally melt... Should setup a copper smelting plant in Bellingham Washington and get a man on the Canadian side! Could make a fortune! Sort in Canada, bring a few miles over the border, melt, and sell.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby brexzz1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 am

wbeck wrote:Smart of Canada to be sorting. If they were really smart they'd be doing pennies too, but perhaps the replacement cost (since they have to make a cheap new one to replace the melted ones) makes it not make sense.

If it is in fact the case that you can export Canadian money no problem, AND legally melt... Should setup a copper smelting plant in Bellingham Washington and get a man on the Canadian side! Could make a fortune! Sort in Canada, bring a few miles over the border, melt, and sell.

I'm your man. PM me if interested
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:02 am

wbeck wrote:Smart of Canada to be sorting. If they were really smart they'd be doing pennies too, but perhaps the replacement cost (since they have to make a cheap new one to replace the melted ones) makes it not make sense.

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wbeck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:24 am

Will do if it ever seems like something to take on seriously!

And what are those 2 bozos suppose to imply fine sir??? I'm big on scheming, but I actually follow through properly if I decide to do something. Scheming is key to getting ahead in life, but it's the quality of the idea and the actually doing it part that are tough. The real trouble is there are too many brilliant ideas out there to ever find the time to actually do them all... If only I had 10 lifetimes!
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

wbeck wrote:Will do if it ever seems like something to take on seriously!

And what are those 2 bozos suppose to imply fine sir??? I'm big on scheming, but I actually follow through properly if I decide to do something. Scheming is key to getting ahead in life, but it's the quality of the idea and the actually doing it part that are tough. The real trouble is there are too many brilliant ideas out there to ever find the time to actually do them all... If only I had 10 lifetimes!

Sorry about that I did not post more info with the Seinfeld photo.They are there because your post made me think about Seinfeld show about taking pop can from a State with no deposit to one with see-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bottle_Deposit and it was a good time if my life when I saw it. I to am look how I can make an extra dollar too. As you can see.
Joe

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 am

that was a great Sienfeld... My son and I talk about makinga reality show called "Schemers"..
We try different ways to get rich quick each week...

edited for spelling
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:that was a great Sienfeld... My son and I talk about makinga reality show called "Schemers"..

edited for spelling

Any idea of what some of the show themes would be :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wbeck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:57 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
wbeck wrote:Will do if it ever seems like something to take on seriously!

Sorry about that I did not post more info with the Seinfeld photo.They are there because your post made me think about Seinfeld show about taking pop can from a State with no deposit to one with see-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bottle_Deposit and it was a good time if my life when I saw it. I to am look how I can make an extra dollar too. As you can see.
Joe

No problem! I wasn't mad. I come across a bit off in writing sometimes as the big smirk I generally have on my face while writing things doesn't make it into the text! Haha. So no genuine offense was taken!!!

I actually should have picked up on that being the reference, as I'd been reminded of that episode not but a couple days ago! Yea, the trouble with an idea like I said would be in actually carrying it out. Perhaps it would work brilliantly, perhaps not. Don't know enough about the costs involved in such an operation as it's outside my experience. Sadly I don't think I have the time or money for such a scheme at the moment... But maybe when copper doubles again... Muahahahaha!!!
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wbeck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:that was a great Sienfeld... My son and I talk about makinga reality show called "Schemers"..

edited for spelling

Would be a good show! If you ever run out of plots send me a PM... I have 10 lifetimes worth of schemes!
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:15 am

What are Canadians getting for nickel percentages these days?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 am

NHsorter wrote:What are Canadians getting for nickel percentages these days?

I found this thread http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8071#p79652 and it looks like 10% .
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing