Penny Boxes and Penny Bags from the Bank

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Boxes and Penny Bags from the Bank

Postby njoElec » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I read that a lot of members here can pick up their pennies from bags at the bank. Being here in WV, I can only find banks that supply their pennies in boxes. What do your pennies come in when you pick them up?

Where can I pick up a bag of pennies versus boxes? As a classic hand sorter, I feel breaking the rolls is time consuming.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Penny Boxes and Penny Bags from the Bank

Postby jldco » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:04 pm

You'll be on the trail if you find a bank or CU that has a non CoinStar self service coin machine, or one in the back that they carry coins around to. Those coins are going into bags. It's another trick entirley to persuade them to sell them to you. They usually want the armored (fed) to give them some sort of verification that the bag is true and correct. But, I find in country or rural banks that this is a little easier than metro banks. And of course you'll be hoping it's not another sorters dump bank... I also think that you'll have more luck at a CU than a bank because they seem to be less regulated or less concerned in those areas. CU's many times just do their own coin and cash needs at a nearby commercial bank like a business would, so why not sell it to you? Saves them from transport.... I've been surprised to see locally that a rather large Thrift (S&L) doing that as well. I took a picture of these sorts of penny bags waiting in a bank for the armored to pick them up (I am in banks for other reasons than coins) to show folks that you really can find them if you look. I have bought them from this bank in the past when copper prices were bettr. I'll post it later if I can find it.
Good luck!
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Go straight to the source...ask to speak to the vault manager. Be honest and don't dump 'em at the same bank. Smile alot and act professional. Eye contact and confident. Don't beat around the bush. If no is the answer...move on to the next bank. It sucks...that little word..."NO"!

Good luck finding them bags!

I hate the plastic rolls from brinks, too!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby njoElec » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 pm

lol those Brinks rolls drive me nuts! I hate them even more than the regular paper rolls!! The biggest bummer with any bank roll is when they are filled with fresh cents from the mint..
I have a good relationship with a bank here in town where I know the lady would probably hook me up with some bags from the coin counter. Thanks for the advice dude!!!!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Try with the smaller banks (vs the big multi-national banks like BoA, Chase, US Bank, etc.) The small banks can make independent decisions such as selling bags. At the big banks, even the branch manager doesn't usually have the authority to do something that goes against their standard operating procedures. My "bag bank" is a credit union with a total of three branches. I get bags from all three. Chase is more than happy to take all the zinc I can bring them, but hell would freeze over before they would sell me a bag.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MUTiger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:42 pm

I got my first bag the other day from a US Bank in town and the teller said come back in two weeks for more. So I call one of the other US Banks in town and I get the "we cannot guarantee the amount in the bag" spiel. I said I did not care because that is how the first US Bank started out. After I indicated no problem teller said OK at first bank. No dice at second one. Third US Bank in town currently accepts much of my zinc dump to put on car payment.
Keep asking.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

mutiger wrote:I got my first bag the other day from a US Bank in town and the teller said come back in two weeks for more. So I call one of the other US Banks in town and I get the "we cannot guarantee the amount in the bag" spiel. I said I did not care because that is how the first US Bank started out. After I indicated no problem teller said OK at first bank. No dice at second one. Third US Bank in town currently accepts much of my zinc dump to put on car payment.
Keep asking.

MUTiger

On my way home from work today I call the first US Bank to see if they have another bag available. First teller asks second teller (the one that helped me two weeks ago) if any bags of pennies available. She gets back on the phone and says yes. I say I will be there in about 20 minutes. I walk in and the second teller recogonizes me from last week and says "This is only the second time you have been in here but you are now known here as the 'penny man.'" I just laughed. She said they had two bags available but I only took one, did not have enough cash and did not want them to go through the hassle to look up my account info and fill out withdrawal. I will just go back in a week instead of almost two and bring a bigger carrying bag and more money. Looks like for now I have a pretty good source for hand sorting. Trying to convince wife I need a Ryedale.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 am

If the wife says no ask Santa.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MUTiger » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:56 am

dakota1955 wrote:If the wife says no ask Santa.

I did.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing