Perfect Storage

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Perfect Storage

Postby AlexTG » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:32 pm

So, I was thinking today. What do you guys think would constitute the perfect storage device for your penny hoard, and how much would you be willing to pay per box/bag/other.

Honestly, I kinda want a box that I can through in a whole I dug out in the backyard. And just forget about for 10 or 20 years, but wont damage the pennies inside.

But I don't want it to weigh more than 50lbs per box, and ideally it would be 25lbs.

Oh and if I can't through it in the back yard, it needs to stack well.

Anyone else?

EDIT: This would be for hoards of any size.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Perfect Storage

Postby silverhedgehog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Try some 4" or 6" schedule 40 plastic pipe and glue the caps on it. Add some desicant pouches to keep it dry.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 am

I don't wanna do all that digging, burying and digging up. Those mint bags they originally ship the pennies in work just fine for me. Just put a ton in each and stack em up. Who's gonna grab one and run off with it? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

silverhedgehog wrote:Try some 4" or 6" schedule 40 plastic pipe and glue the caps on it. Add some desicant pouches to keep it dry.

That's a really good idea, I was about to say the same thing. Just be sure to draw out a map so you don't forget where it's buried!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 am

Perfect storange where you don't have to get dirty or do anything is a The Portland Mint :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I use frosting buckets from the bakery. I get them for free or as low as 25 cent each. Wash and let dry, fill em and stack em. The 2 1/2 gallon holds $115.00 or about 77lbs. Try grabbing 2 and running. The 5 gallon ones hold about $250 or more and weigh about 170 lbs. Lets see how far you get with that.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Like slick said,bakeries are good places. Also try most restaurants, grocery stores,etc. They all have 5gal buckets. Delis are great too
What I have been grabbing are the HP containers from the pizzeria. They are about 1 gallon I think and are clear with a lid. Figure each one should hold about $50 and only weigh 35lbs or so.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing