Nice bag I got last Thursday

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Nice bag I got last Thursday

Postby MUTiger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 pm

I just finished hand sorting a bag I got last Thursday after work. I looked it over before opening and quickly noticed two dimes, a few Canadian cents and a lot of shiny looking coins so I thought it would be about average 24-26% copper. I open it up and start sorting and I am finding huge amounts of copper and all the shiny red coins are 1980, 1981 and earlier. I am pulling about 85% copper with about as many Canadian cents as zinc cents. I start sorting the AU - BU copper cents from the other copper. There are a very few 1982 and most every one of them was copper. Near the end of the bag the percentages go down a little but my final counts are as follows
3824 copper memorial cents (10 S mint marks, ~785 in AU to BU condition)
5 wheat ear cents
931 zinc cents
239 Canadian cents (238 pre 1982 and 1-1985, 2 -George VI, 1-1971 clipped at about 1o'clock position)
2 US clad dimes
5001 total coins (81.3% Cu)

I was a little disappointed by the number of wheat cents but very happy about the amount of copper. It seems to me that somone knew to save the copper when the composition changed in 1982 and put them away and somebody recently found them and dumped them at the bank. They also must have pulled the wheats and S-mint marks. I think the clad was the beginning or end of a bag from another dumper. When I picked up the bag they indicated they had another one available but I did not have enough cash at the time. I went back on Monday with the cash to pick up the other bag but have not had a chance to look in to it yet, from the outside it does not look as promising.

Penny Table.jpg
My sorting table
Penny Table.jpg (101.88 KiB) Viewed 535 times

The coppers are on the right of the table in stacks and on the left forground face up. There are two seperate piles of copper on the right and left side. The smaller piles are the AU-BU as you can see. The zinc is the small stacks in the middle and the Canadian are the stacks on the upper right. That is about the relative amounts in a half of the white and green cup full of cents.

I think I will be spoiled by that one.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Re: Nice bag I got last Thursday

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 am

That's a very nice bag indeed!!! I like those red penny roll trays too. Might have to pick some of those up.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:01 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I like those red penny roll trays too. Might have to pick some of those up.

Got them at officemax.com but may have paid too much. Found them here for a little better price.

http://www.ebizsupply.com/Categories/Office-Supplies/Cash-Handling/Cash-Storage/CashCoin-Trays.aspx?sortby=5

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby MUTiger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:10 am

The coppers are on the right of the table in stacks and on the left forground face up. There are two seperate piles of copper on the right and left side. The smaller piles are the AU-BU as you can see. The zinc is the small stacks in the middle and the Canadian are the stacks on the upper right. That is about the relative amounts in a half of the white and green cup full of cents.

MUTiger

Just read the first sentence above again and realize I do not know right from left. The stacks of copper are on the left and faceup on right foreground.
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 pm

mutiger wrote:
TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I like those red penny roll trays too. Might have to pick some of those up.

Got them at officemax.com but may have paid too much. Found them here for a little better price.

http://www.ebizsupply.com/Categories/Office-Supplies/Cash-Handling/Cash-Storage/CashCoin-Trays.aspx?sortby=5

MUTiger

Found them on Amazon.com too. I might just dump a bag of zincs in a Coinstar machine to get an Amazon gift card to spend on some.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:00 am

What's in all of the cups on the table?
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 am

nice set up there. I got a bunch similar to that about 2 weeks ago. nothing newer then 85! Actually stopped opening them and going to let a buddy of mine finish them and pull out the BU's
misteroman

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:What's in all of the cups on the table?

Left to right. Diet Coke, copper, zinc, Canadian, wheat, S mint mark, pencils and the empty cup in foreground I fill from the bag to sort.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Where do all of the foreign coins or dimes go?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:44 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Where do all of the foreign coins or dimes go?

I have a few British new pennies, a Bahamas penny and a South Africa rand coin in the Canadian cup. Dimes get recorded and thrown in with quarters and other dimes acquired in normal cash transactions. They are kept elsewhere and often thrown in zinc dumps so the count does not show all pennies. Nickles from normal transactions are rolled and stacked.

I forgot, after the S-mint mark cup is an "ugly abe" cup. Sitting at my table now.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 pm

I've never seen an ugly copper Abe that I didn't like!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby MUTiger » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I've never seen an ugly copper Abe that I didn't like!

Me either. They are all copper. I plan to tumble them with corn cob media in my yellow brass tumbler when I get a cup full.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing