ryedale vs handsorting - zinc in the copper box

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

ryedale vs handsorting - zinc in the copper box

Postby s3p2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Just for sh1ts and giggles a few weeks ago I purchased 50lbs of coppers on ebay. Upon getting them I decided to hand sort through them and to my surprise I found about 4 rolls of zinc. Is that typical? I left good feedback and everything but was a little dissatisfied.
s3p2

Re: ryedale vs handsorting - zinc in the copper box

Postby barrytrot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:32 pm

4 rolls out of 50 pounds = SCAMMER.

That means that about 1 out of 33 coins is zinc. Not possible without intentional fraud.

Out of 50 pounds you should see 20 or fewer total coins. 200 coins means the person seeded it with a couple handfuls to increase profit.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Or they're using a cheap Chinese comparator. I just got feedback from one of my customers and he said he found three non-copper cents in a batch of 1500 I sold.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 pm

It is eather intentional.. or really, really sloppy. Either way, you should ask the seller for a partial refund. You could always open a PayPal dispute if he is unresponsive to the idea.. and even leave followup feedback. i' think he will give you an adjustment.

A few zincs sometimes slip through, but if the coins are properly processed that should not even happen. If you were to buy 50 pounds of copper cents from me, there would not be a single zinc in the mix. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I have to say that I have yet to find a confirmed zinc in the copper side of the Ryedale that actually was something that went through the comparator. They've all been either bad bounces, or coins that dropped in the wrong bucket when I was careless and coins spilled while re-filling, or a spill during a jam/clean-out. I always do a second pass, and it is always clean except when I knew I had a suspect batch from one of the above.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Just for fun (and boredom), I ran a ten thousand cents through four consecutive Ryedales once. 8 survived the first run thru. 1 survived the second. None made it thru the third. I concluded that there is no point to selling triple-sorted copper. I just toss ten extra coppers in each box. If they find a zinc... they're still getting more than their money's worth. 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:25 pm

beauanderos wrote:Just for fun (and boredom), I ran a ten thousand cents through four consecutive Ryedales once. 8 survived the first run thru. 1 survived the second. None made it thru the third. I concluded that there is no point to selling triple-sorted copper. I just toss ten extra coppers in each box. If they find a zinc... they're still getting more than their money's worth. 8-)

I agree I sort all my copper twice. I usually run them through the second time in pails of 10,000 and sometimes I find 7 or 8 zincs in 10,000 and sometimes only 1 or 2. And I too always throw in an extra 25 - 30 copper pennies in each bag I sell so I know you won't find any zincers in anything I sell either.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mishra142 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm about the same as you NDFarmer maybe 5-8 on average when running $100 and some or most of those are probably due to bounce over or falling from cleaning out jams. What about the other way around? From time to time I pluck a copper out of the zinc pile, it kinda bothers me a little bit but I'd estimate the number is pretty low as well. You guys get this as well?

I dont re run zincs btw I just eye ball them. and re run the copper.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:27 pm

we had a thread about this somewhere - maybe old rc

if i remember right 1/10th of 1 % was the absolute MAX number of zincs that are acceptable

that would be 10 coins per $100 face
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby pennyguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:07 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Just for fun (and boredom), I ran a ten thousand cents through four consecutive Ryedales once. 8 survived the first run thru. 1 survived the second. None made it thru the third. I concluded that there is no point to selling triple-sorted copper. I just toss ten extra coppers in each box. If they find a zinc... they're still getting more than their money's worth. 8-)

I agree I sort all my copper twice. I usually run them through the second time in pails of 10,000 and sometimes I find 7 or 8 zincs in 10,000 and sometimes only 1 or 2. And I too always throw in an extra 25 - 30 copper pennies in each bag I sell so I know you won't find any zincers in anything I sell either.

I purchased 1 CTU from ndfarmer then ran them thru my ryedale . ZERO zincs, AL copper :D
pennyguy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mauserman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:37 pm

s3p2 wrote:Just for sh1ts and giggles a few weeks ago I purchased 50lbs of coppers on ebay. Upon getting them I decided to hand sort through them and to my surprise I found about 4 rolls of zinc. Is that typical? I left good feedback and everything but was a little dissatisfied.

And I don't at all doubt you, but you're sure most of those zincs aren't 1982's fooling someone? :geek: Probably not, just throwing it out there.
Mauserman

Postby s3p2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Mauserman wrote:
s3p2 wrote:Just for sh1ts and giggles a few weeks ago I purchased 50lbs of coppers on ebay. Upon getting them I decided to hand sort through them and to my surprise I found about 4 rolls of zinc. Is that typical? I left good feedback and everything but was a little dissatisfied.

And I don't at all doubt you, but you're sure most of those zincs aren't 1982's fooling someone? :geek: Probably not, just throwing it out there.

No, they were 83 and later. I hand sort and save all my 82' in a separate bin. Reason being I notice people get more bids listing pennies that are 81 and older. On occation I weigh my 82's and toss the zinc, but I still keep them separate. When I go to sell I feel people are more responsive to 81 and older coins.
s3p2

Postby tinhorn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Zero tolerance for me. My goal is zero zinc and zero verdigris. Maybe this is a holdover from my days manufacturing and selling herb capsules. If someone bought a case of rhubarb root capsules, even ONE measley juniper berry capsule in the mix would be game over.

I dual-sort (TWO separate Ryedales, not just a re-run through the same machine), then clean the coins before the final sort through a third Ryedale and an MC-16 comparitor. Total: FOUR separate comparitors (none of which are Chinese crap, and the final one designed specifically to sort copper from zinc) before my coins go into the packaging bin. My customers pay a fair price, and they deserve to get what they pay for.

I bought two ten-pound lots of pennies from some eBay clown so that I could threaten him with negative feedback if he didn't stop copying my listings. There were several zincs in each ten-pound lot, and he claimed to use a Ryedale. I can't imagine the poor quality being offered by sellers using those cheap knockoffs. (And the clown DID stop copying my listings.)
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Later » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 pm

doesnt the ryedale have an adjustment screw?
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby myfundsarelow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 am

HI ALL, all of my indian head cents were found in the zinc side, also1970type cents and 72 73 74 75 years ,must be a differenet metal but they weigh 3/11 grams PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 am

This is why you should by from trusted companies or forum members. There are a lot of scammers out there, a lot of people new to the hobby and don't realize you have to double sort, and just some people who don't care.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby penny pretty » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:44 pm

my first foray into this crazy world was buying 100FV on ebay,checked box and saw a wheat.sorted though them all and found 150 wheats( including a 1914 and a 1936BU)found about 15 zincs.quite happy and will buy from that guy again!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing