Trouble in Paradise

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Trouble in Paradise

Postby GGerrands » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:45 pm

So I go to my dump bank today, cheefully hauling in 3 boxes of cents (I only drop $75 per branch per week, so as to be less conspicuous & such.). The teller asks me if I have labeled each roll with my first initial, last name & phone number! :shock: :roll: :?

I say I have not. Ask if that isn't some sort of privacy risk. The other teller says the "black out each roll" before giving them out to customers. :? Doesn't that negate the purpose of labeling them? (To avoid fraud, the first teller said they got "ripped off" with someone putting pennies in time rolls.) Sigh....anyway, tonight I'm labeling rolls, 300 times. I'm tempted to put jenny 867-5309 on most of them.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Trouble in Paradise

Postby fb101 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:05 pm

put the bank branch phone number on them.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bluegill » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:34 pm

GGerrands wrote:The other teller says the "black out each roll" before giving them out to customers. :?

Usually but not always. I lost track of how many CWR's I have received that had names, addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, and once, a S.S. number.

They are probably trying to get you to take the rolls elsewhere, but don't want to come out and say it. This policy seems to very from branch to branch.

I like the idea of the branch phone number. Maybe a different branch in the same area code...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 pm

GGerrands wrote: I'm tempted to put jenny 867-5309 on most of them.

Who is Jenny and what is the area code? Do you put "for a good time" on the rolls, too? :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby GGerrands » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Bwhahaha, don't tempt me.

This might help on the cryptic numerology:

Update:
brought 150 rolls labeled & boxed to branch that refused me yesterday. Got referred to the 2nd teller who'd given info yesterday about what to put on wrappers. Waited while they counted each roll in boxes slowwwwwly, randomly pulled couple rolls from each box to check labeling, then big SQUEEZE to fit them back in those narrow penny boxes.

2nd branch of same bank took them without opening the boxes or any questions.

The next 1,000 rolls will have (one of) my names & (someone's) phone number on them. Did it while watching NC State barely whoop Louisville last night.

On an unrelated note, in my new boxes noticed a roll with wheatie on end. Was considering saving it for later, but greedily tore it open. Found 4 wheats (all common 40s & 50s) in just that one roll. I think that's a new record for me!
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 am

And I will now be listening to 80s pop hits for the next week. No idea why. Nothing stuck in my head now.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 1saved3.11earned » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:54 am

1saved3.11earned

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 am

or just print a few thousand labels on your computer. Loved the obscure phone # reference. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby newton7 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm

They dont black out the name and numbers always. I know I got rolls of nickels in my stash with some ladies name and numbers on them.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:48 pm

GGerrands wrote:Doesn't that negate the purpose of labeling them?

Yup.

In my last batch, every roll of nickels that was an older off-color paper (since it was a less common roll type, I think it's safe to assume they were from the same account) had two pennies in it, and one less nickel. Times must be tough (or honor is becoming something of a bygone era) if someone is willing to be dishonest in order to gain 3 cents per roll of nickels.

I took one of the rolls back to the branch and told them about it, and they apologized and said that there wasn't much they could do about it (since they couldn't tell what the account number was since they blackened it out).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 pm

GGerrands wrote:Bwhahaha, don't tempt me.

This might help on the cryptic numerology:
[b]

Oh, I kinda remember something about this song. Sounds great, by the way. Seems like it got a lot of notoriety when it came out.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:19 am

HELLO this song is was basically what caused the 555 prefix. so many people called that number( cant remember the details)that now any # in media starts with 555
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:29 am

So someone trying to find Jenny: http://www.danstheman.com/Jenny.htm
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing