ordering boxes of pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

ordering boxes of pennies

Postby Coinage » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Well my current bank put a stop to me with picking up boxes of pennies as a walk in with out ordering them. I was told by the teller that recently they have had a huge increase of customers coming in asking for boxes. (From 2 or 3 boxes a week to 20+) Seems like at least in my area that people are catching on.

I was in a bit of a hurry since I was late for work so I didn't ask any details about ordering, which I'm sure is different from bank to bank. But generally how do you guys place your orders? Is it on a recurring basis? Or as needed? Theres plenty of banks in my area, no joke there's about 10 banks in the city i live in. So I suppose I could pay them all a visit and check out their policies on picking up boxes.
Coinage

Re: ordering boxes of pennies

Postby baggerman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

My bank orders on Tuesday and they are delivered Thursday late afternoon (Chase). I order as needed since I also pick up bags from a credit union.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm

If they are willing to do it, just have them put in a weekly order for you. That's what I do. Then you don't have to worry about "cold calling" at a bunch of places, you can just have your reliable once-a-week pick up. Frees up time to concentrate on how to get rid of zincs :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:21 pm

once a week pickup works for me
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 pm

standing weekly orders are the best way to go

ALWAYS make sure and pick them up as soon as possible after they arrive - banks hate cluttered vaults and they may give them out to other customers if you dont show up when you should
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Cent1225 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Coinage wrote:Well my current bank put a stop to me with picking up boxes of pennies as a walk in with out ordering them. I was told by the teller that recently they have had a huge increase of customers coming in asking for boxes. (From 2 or 3 boxes a week to 20+) Seems like at least in my area that people are catching on.

This is what happens when they do TV programs about a hobby. Brings everyone out of the wood work. "Loose Lips, Sink Ships."
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:44 am

They are willing to have your boxes shipped in for free. All they ask is a "heads up.' I don't think that's too much to ask for.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtldealer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:10 am

On the west coast its... Order fri for delivery tues.mthen order tues for delivery Friday. Friday I stop by the bank at 9am ( they are a couple blocks from my office. I bring them a dozen donuts or something comparable. I tell them that when the coin arrives just give me a call and I'll shop up to pick up. It eats a precedence that. Stop by not just to get my coin. On more than one occasion I have been told... Oh while your here someone just dropped off coin do you want it. Happy hunting.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 am

Depends on the bank. Most in my area (35 mile circle) are serviced by their armored carrier on Tuesday or Wednesday. The major armored carriers here are Oregon Armored, GARDA, and Loomis Fargo. 50 mile to my north the service days are mostly Wednesday and Thursday. 150 miles east it is mostly Thursday and Friday. The carriers set up a schedule for the area they serve and the banks and CUs have to adapt to it (or is it the other way).
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing