does anyone have to fight the repition of doing this?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

does anyone have to fight the repition of doing this?

Postby goldteam » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:16 pm

I am getting bored with going to the banks and doing the sorting. It used to be a joy, now it is seeming like work.

Yet I know I need to be doing this because in the end, I believe it's the right thing to do for my family.

Is anyone else in this boat? It seems to be a chore, yet it's work that needs to be done!
goldteam

Re: does anyone have to fight the repition of doing this?

Postby TXBullion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Yes, BUY! :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:43 pm

TXBullion wrote:Yes, BUY! :lol:

Actually that is sage advice.

If you don't enjoy it the hourly-wage of this hobby is roughly minimum wage or less. If your "real job" pays you more then buying makes a lot of sense.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:46 pm

barrytrot wrote:
TXBullion wrote:Yes, BUY! :lol:

Actually that is sage advice.

If you don't enjoy it the hourly-wage of this hobby is roughly minimum wage or less. If your "real job" pays you more then buying makes a lot of sense.

Gotta have fun......or your spinnig your wheels.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Gotta have fun......or your spinnig your wheels.

Laughably one night, I woke up at around 2AM. Couldn't sleep for like 30 minutes, so I decides to dump some rolls on my bed, threw out two Nintendo DS' with Pokemon on them, and in-between trading between games, I sorted the rolls. Got thru like $20 worth before I got bored of trading and went to sleep after 1.5 hours.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:38 am

I'm just a hand sorter, so my experience is probably quite a bit different than someone who is machine sorting. But I do get tired of it from time to time. Whenever it starts to feel like work, I stop for a while. But I still get a handful of rolls every time I'm at the bank so that when I do start going again, I have a ready stock to sort. Usually my "boredom" only lasts a week or two at a time, and then I come back stronger than ever.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 am

I sorted pennies for about a year ($150+ per week) until I reached my goal of a ton, but it was sort of a love/hate relationship. It was a pain to pick up/dump, but when I was actually sorting, I loved it. Finding wheats/Canadians/Indians was always a treat. I was using a Ryedale to sort, otherwise I would have spent 6x the amount of time sorting than I did.
My advice is take a break for a while. Also, if you have the capital, you could sort halves or dimes for silver. I find it more rewarding to find a 40% or a 90% half or dime. More exciting/more of a reward. Just my thoughts.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:07 pm

If it is a chore, don't do it. Life is too short to waste it on things that you don't really enjoy.

Stop for a while. You will come back to it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 pm

I was doing two boxes a week, but things got pretty busy and boxes started building up in my basement. I thought about taking a break from ordering boxes so I could catch up. However, I didn't want to lose my source bank; so I decided to cut back to one box a week. Now that I've had some time off I've been able to catch up and ordered two boxes this week.

I don't see it as repetitious. Every box has its own personality, its own surprises. You never know when an IH, pre-1940 wheat, Canadian King etc will pop up. Back in 2009 I pulled a few dozen AU/BU 1964s and 1968s. A couple weeks ago they started showing up again. I have no clue how they get there. I don't see it as lost time either, I typically do it while watching T.V. If I felt as you did I would take a break or cut back but try to do it while preserving my relationships with my source banks. You never know when you might catch the bug again.

Good luck
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm

A change is as good as a vacation. When the repetition starts weighing on me I try to find some new banks with new faces for my "cold calls".

"Never despair; but if you do, work on in despair." Edmund Burke, Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797) Sometimes you just gotta do what needs doin' even if it ain't as fun as it should be.

Are you using a sorter?
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby newton7 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:44 pm

I kept picking up from the source bank when I wanted a break. They just kept stacking up in the corner but I am glad I did. With the scare of Brinks sorting out copper it never hurts to have some extra on the side. They also make a great rainy day or bad weather day project for the kid when you don't want to go outside.

The only time I totally stop taking from the source is when I am on vacation and not able to get to the bank. I have worked to hard building relations with my favorite tellers and for the most part now if I ask for 1 or 6 boxes or dimes or nickels I get what I ask for no questions which is great.

When you need a break, take it. If it is to time consuming then buy instead of sort.

Good Luck!
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby knibloe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:24 pm

The idea about keeping in touch with your source banks is spot on. I have a source bank that has a counter. If I want a break, I just don't go in and buy the bags off of the counter. The troube is, they told me they would call when they have bags of halves. Because I wasn't going in on a regular basis I missed the last couple of bags of halves. Now I go in more regular, even if I don't really want to sort the pennies. The real prize has been he bags of halves. I'm not going to miss another.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:16 pm

just found a 1919 and a 1920 in the same roll!(no mint marks, DAMMIT) but HEY they are going in a jar!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 pm

knibloe wrote:If it is a chore, don't do it. Life is too short to waste it on things that you don't really enjoy.

Stop for a while. You will come back to it.

I couldn't have said it better myself, therefore I just quoted knibloe. :D Take a break. There's nothing in the rulebook that says you can't call a timeout.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing