House for sick SC patients gets copper fixtures

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

House for sick SC patients gets copper fixtures

Postby Merwanseth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 am

The Ronald McDonald House in Charleston, SC is installing hundreds of thousands of dollars in copper fixtures as a way to cut down on infection.

http://www2.scnow.com/news/2012/jan/03/ ... .ly/txGSXq
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: House for sick SC patients gets copper fixtures

Postby twentybux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Hmmmm....interesting. Thanks for posting.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Cool, I think that in hospitals they should have everything made out of copper. EVERYTHING! This could help drive up the market. And we all know that hospitals have plenty of cash to spare. Better yet, they should use silver. I believe that it does an even better job than copper. ;)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm

NHsorter wrote:Cool, I think that in hospitals they should have everything made out of copper. EVERYTHING! This could help drive up the market. And we all know that hospitals have plenty of cash to spare. Better yet, they should use silver. I believe that it does an even better job than copper. ;)

Copper is a natural disinfectant. Notice the next time you go into a hospital, the majority of hospital doors will have copper fixtures.

Silver on the other hand, is limited to medical applications like burns and other injuries.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:05 pm

I thought that silver was a natural disinfectant as well? Silver dime in you water canteen, etc. They have water filters that use silver in them. I think there is a lot of history.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 pm

NHsorter wrote:I thought that silver was a natural disinfectant as well?

It is. Slightly better than Cu. You are also correct, there is a long history of Ag being used as such. If one gets a chance, research how the term "born with a silver spoon in your mouth" came to be...

Even when alloyed down to a yellow brass, Cu is still an excellent disinfectant. Research has shown that a brass doorknob will disinfect itself in 24 hours. Obviously it can't be lacquer coated.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing