Verdigris and your hoard

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Verdigris and your hoard

Postby Coinage » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am

How do you guys manage the green stuff? I have found myself becoming increasingly anal about it (since I hand sort) any copper that has a green speck.. Even if it's just a hint I store them separately. Am I paranoid? You guys with ryedales probably sort through so many cents its not worth picking through for the nasties ?
Coinage

Re: Verdigris and your hoard

Postby galenrog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:20 am

The evil green cancer can be controlled by reducing the humidity in your storage area. My safes each have a 40 watt stick heater to keep everything as dry as possible. Curing contaminated coins is a simple as putting them in a rock tumbler 2/3 full of cancerous coins, enough water to cover them completely with a few drops of liquid soap. Tumble for a hour or two and your coins should be clean. Dry thoroughly. Add to whichever stack they belong in.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 am

I pull the worst ones out but don't sweat it too much. All coins are stored in a cool dry warm large vault with super duper security for the green slime tends to stay away.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 am

MIne are stored in a wet humid basement. "Penny World" as the wife calls it. They are stored in plastic juice jugs. In theory, they should be air tight. I suppose I should look at one of the jugs some day.

I recently decided to start pulling ULgly Abes. We have a rock tumbler that has never been used. I figured it could be one more piece of equipment to add to the lineup.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 am

Any green or dirty ones go into a acetic acid soak for 2 days, a good soap and water rinse and they come out like new.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I picked up a vibrating foot bath to use for cleaning brass picked up at the range ($2 at the 2nd hand store). Thinking about trying that for all sorts of things, including carburators.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing