First and Last Memorial Question

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First and Last Memorial Question

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey all,

Was wondering what the group-thought was regarding saving the 1959 (first year Memorial) and 2009 (last year Memorial?) cents from the rest of the bullion quality coins. Given that people will generally collect the first and last of something, have you guys saved these out from the rest to bank against numi-value in the event of the ban being lifted? In the face of a melt down, do you think these would be more valuable than the rest of the saved coins? Naturally the 2009 (or whichever were the last, 2008?) wouldn't face the same situation, but maybe, could be, sold as sets?

Additionally, do you save out the "S" mintage? I know some of you, particularly Franklin's Dad saves everything out separately, but does everyone do that, or just separate certain years/mints etc, not counting errors etc.

Just curious,

Atticus
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Re: First and Last Memorial Question

Postby MUTiger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 pm

atticus wrote:Additionally, do you save out the "S" mintage? I know some of you, particularly Franklin's Dad saves everything out separately, but does everyone do that, or just separate certain years/mints etc, not counting errors etc.

Just curious,

Atticus

I keep the "S" mintmarks separate just because I do not see many of them. Not sure there will be a premium on them but I will roll them separate.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby GGerrands » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 am

I started saving out the 1959 cents b/c someone said they might go at a premium, like common date 1950's wheats. I recently also started saving the 2009 commemorative cents. They had low mintages that year. I think they'll become valuable, maybe. (Sometimes a Morgan dollar type situation might develop, where LOTS of people save a coin, so the market stays glutted. So far I have less that $2 in 2009's, out of probably $400 FV sorted. The least common is the fourth in the series. Also look for a doubling of the thumb in the one with Lincoln sitting on a log. I'm not sure to which mint mark(s) that doubling error applies.

I wonder what the ebay success of trying to sell $25 or $15 of circulated 2009 cents would be. $50 for 15 face would be sweet. I might try that in 2013.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:27 am

I keep the 1959 and 'S' mint memorial cents mixed in with all of the rest of the copper. The key word here is "keep". I am holding the copper cents for the long haul. I will eventually sort through them for items of numismatic value but for now I would rather spend my time capturing all the copper cents I can from circulation.

The 2009's go back to the bank with all of the rest of the zincs. I count them but I don't keep them. My average over the past 6 months is 1.87% for the 2009's or about 47 per $25 box. They don't seem all that rare and there were likely enough boxes and rolls of uncirculated ones hoarded when they first came out that there will never be a market for ones pulled from circulation.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 am

First rule is, collect (or acumulate) what you like. Because your the one that's going to have to put up with it.

That said, visit a flea market and you'll find rolls of 2009's. Heck, one day I stopped at a bank for CWRs (costumer wrapped rolls) and there was nine dollars in 2009's in straight from the US mint rolls. Seems somebody needed some cash and turned in mint rolls. Currently there is a big supply and not much demand. Same for the 1959. Unless their BU, their pretty much copper.

The S mints. Some people seem to acumulate them. Is it worth picking them out? Depends on how much effort you want to put into it.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing