Hidden Sorters

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Hidden Sorters

Postby slvrbck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 am

So at a recent function I was talking privately to a long time friend of the family who disclosed to me that his brother (also long time friend of fam) was acting "weird". Further questioning revealed that the brother has been researching offshore bank accounts as a means to store his assets. While not really my cup of tea and knowing that he has quite a bit of extra cash around, I didnt find this all that odd, but then the friend dropped the clincher. Over the past few years his brother and wife have been actively purchasing gold coins and. . . as if he was ashamed at what his brother had been doing, searching through mountains of pennies while looking for copper coins. Just curious if anyone else has ever had a scenario like this. I didnt know what to say.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Hidden Sorters

Postby Madwest » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:17 am

A classic sign of addiction is to hide your behavior from family and friends.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am

My girlfriend thought it was really weird too. She called the producers of the TV show, Intervention! They told my girlfriend that they couldn't help me!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Night Hawk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 pm

My wife thinks it's wierd, but even she admits it's harmless.
Night Hawk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby lance » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Damn...my family thinks its great that i invest in copper pennies and silver n gold...and my fiance is supportive also...she helps handsort.etc...and i send my kids into the banks to get boxs of pennies cause tellers never say no to young kids lmao
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:40 pm

7 years ago i bought $5800 in nickels and pennies from a local coin drive. I had been a collector before that but never quite like that. Umm, it was an interesting dinner conversation that night when my wife asked what was in the back of the truck. I won't talk to some of my wife's friends about my collecting when they ask. I can see them rolling their eyes as i begin to tell them. I usually just laugh and say" ach, its a weird hobby that keeps a simple mind entertained" and leave it at that. Can't understand why he would be ashamed of his brother inlaw doing this, when someone does understand what i do, the usual reaction is that they wouldn't have the discipline to keep doing it, but never that they would be ashamed. Unless thats what she means when she says" for gods sake please don't tell anyone what your doing, it makes you look weird! 8-)
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Night Hawk wrote:My wife thinks it's wierd, but even she admits it's harmless.

Yep, my wife does also. She just smiles and shrugs. She has learned to live with it.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

I hide it, especially higher priced PM's. The only people who think it's cool are my Father and Grandpa.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm

I dont think he was actually ashamed. I think it just came off that way because he doesnt understand.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby PADFH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

My wife has been supportive. I still think she thinks it's weird. I explained it's zero cost(They'll always be a least a penny) and we're giving up .1% interest. After that she said go ahead. Showing her Cu pennies selling at 1.5x FV didn't hurt.
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rickygee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Tried to tell my sister about copper pennies, she's now in fear for her air conditioner.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

rickygee wrote:Tried to tell my sister about copper pennies, she's now in fear for her air conditioner.

:lol:
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:44 pm

sounds looney to me. this guy needs some serious help.

hey bud need some help? ;)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:42 am

My wife is o.k. with my hobby, because I sell some once a year and let her know that I made a profit.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 am

My wife actually comes home at the end of the day and pull the residual change out of her pocket and goes through it herself! She'll say, "Looks like a couple coppers in there..." She is awesome.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby strikeaxe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am

Ha my wife sent me a text just the other day that read.

"Went to the snack machine on my floor, crackers were $1.15. I had Quarters. I walked all the way back to my desk for 2 dimes so that I could get a nickel back in change. Pathetic."

She has become accustomed to my shake downs of her change purse.
America has become the NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN country.
strikeaxe
Penny Sorter Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 am

BUYING gold coins, and SORTING for pennies??? HINT. give me a gold eagle, and I will sort all the pennies you have!!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing