how are these guys doing this?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

how are these guys doing this?

Postby nero12345 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Ok so I'm looking on Ebay to see what Canadian pennies are going for these days. 5 pound lot in Winnipeg Manitoba sells for $25 plus 10 shipping to the US and Canada. I think, hey this guys done well on this. So $35, let's minus 15% for Ebay fee's and Paypal fee's gets you down to $29.75. Still pretty good. But then I look at shipping to the states. $27.30. I also checked out the shipping from winnipeg postal code and its the same price. So factoring in that there's approx $9 in pennies in 5 pounds there's a net loss of $2.55.
Also there's another fella in nova scotia, my home province, selling to for the same price. My first idea is that they have their coins in the states already and is getting someone to drop ship them right. Neither Nova Scotia or Winnipeg are that close to just make a run for the border and ship from down their. Are they just nuts or what am I missing here? Cause before they shipping comes into play they are doing alright and I want in. What do ya think?
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: how are these guys doing this?

Postby BADD72 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:30 am

I've got to agree with you on this. I find Canada Post is the biggest problem that we have in selling pennies to the US. I priced shipping a $25.00 box of copper pennies any where in the US & the rate to California was $37.00 shipping. We need a flat rate box like the US postal service offers. So unless you live close to the border you're basically SOL.
BADD72

Postby Beervestor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:55 pm

This is what I have been thinking for some time now lol, whats the point of harding all these copper pennies so if we can sell them how will we? Would be so expensive to ship
Beervestor

Postby everything » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Shipping is tough, many threads have been started on it, just search ship or shipping, believe me a few of the threads are like a contest, ok who's doing it, who's doing it better, how, how much, etc.

Some of us like me are looking longer term, waiting for the market to develop. Even if you've got a $1000, a ton or two, they could fairly easily be sold to a younger family member when you get older. People may think they are worthless but it's really just a PM investment that's not going anywhere real quick at the moment. For instance, if copper ever went to $10 and the melt ban was lifted, my guess is that even wheat pennies would be melted en-mass. Most seem positive that eventually the copper cent will go the way of many silver coinage before them.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby nero12345 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Beervestor wrote:This is what I have been thinking for some time now lol, whats the point of harding all these copper pennies so if we can sell them how will we? Would be so expensive to ship

I emailed buddy and asked him what this international economy shipping was? On the canada post website i can't even find it and also won't give the option when shipping to the US to choose international. The delivery dates the guy give is like 21-28 days. Here's the emails
ME
hey there, i sell nickels to the states quite a bit and am wondering what service you are using that offers international economy shipping? how are you doing this for that shipping price? i'm just wondering i don't mean to pry. any info would be great, the shipping is killing me.LOL

Thanks, Owen.

Him
To compete, you need to eat some of the shipping charges. Cost the same for me.

I figure he wasn't gonna tell me all his secrets but i can't get this one.Unless my math is freaking terrible, he's not eating the shipping charges, he losing money on every deal and would be better taking the coins to the bank. here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

So buy it now is $15+$10 for shipping=$25. So Ebay fee's are 9% and paypal fee's are about 3%. So $22 now after fee's, before we get to the shipping charges, lets figure that there's about $7.66 of face value pennies to make up the 5 pounds so thats down to $14.34. There is no shipping service in Canada thats gonna ship 5 pounds for that price. beside's he hasn't made anything yet for a profit. Now if was in the USA then he could probably ship for about $5. Still not much of a profit but there is a little. Maybe he's a trucker making long hauls down south and ships from down there, i don't know. its got me baffeled.lol.
On a completely different topic, i hit a new milestone today. 62% find rate on Canadian pennies for 5 boxes. i had to check the ryedale out, i thought the kids were playing around with it. Every "tink" made me laugh. i never hit that Percentage before. :D Yes all smiles and that means less to roll up and return. :D :D

I say, keep stacking the coppers, nickels, silver and gold and you can't lose. beside's it all just a game anyway, isn't it?
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:36 pm

You didn't mention all the hours spent going to the bank, sorting, going back to the bank. Then time spent boxing and going to the post office. Plus all the $4.00 gas you use making all these trips. I don't understand why people want to do this for nothing.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby nero12345 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:52 pm

NDFarmer wrote:You didn't mention all the hours spent going to the bank, sorting, going back to the bank. Then time spent boxing and going to the post office. Plus all the $4.00 gas you use making all these trips. I don't understand why people want to do this for nothing.

good point.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 pm

NDFarmer wrote: I don't understand why people want to do this for nothing.

i think this might be your answer Nero. They're not doing it. They're losing money, but aren't keeping accurate records so they think they're eeking out a small profit.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby brexzz1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm lucky enough to live close to the border, so i ship out of Niagara Falls, NY. There is a post office about 200 meters from the border.
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby nero12345 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

brexzz1 wrote:I'm lucky enough to live close to the border, so i ship out of Niagara Falls, NY. There is a post office about 200 meters from the border.

that is sweet. the best of both worlds.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 pm

NDFarmer wrote:You didn't mention all the hours spent going to the bank, sorting, going back to the bank. Then time spent boxing and going to the post office. Plus all the $4.00 gas you use making all these trips. I don't understand why people want to do this for nothing.

$4 Gas? $4 Gas?!!!!!!.. you guys can still get $4 gas? That is deep in the rearview mirrror here. Methinks I am going to be soon setting a new record for paying for gas with boxes of zinc pennies.

I think the way the Canadian pennies would be done is to make an occasional trip to the states where you stock up your stateside partner with several CTU's. Then the US guy ships for you in smaller quantities using the small flat rate boxes every time you haqve a sale. The other way would be for there to be just a financial arrangement between the two of you to work both sides of the border to mutual benefit. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:

$4 Gas? $4 Gas?!!!!!!.. you guys can still get $4 gas? That is deep in the rearview mirrror here. Methinks I am going to be soon setting a new record for paying for gas with boxes of zinc pennies.

I think the way the Canadian pennies would be done is to make an occasional trip to the states where you stock up your stateside partner with several CTU's. Then the US guy ships for you in smaller quantities using the small flat rate boxes every time you haqve a sale. The other way would be for there to be just a financial arrangement between the two of you to work both sides of the border to mutual benefit. :mrgreen:

There have to be several sorters on both sides of the border who could help each other out, as Chuck is suggesting. How about stepping up with your distance from the border and if you'd be willing to help out fellow forum members? Maybe a few lasting agreements could be struck once a few PM's procured an initial introduction? I know Hoardie and I used to do several trades back in the day, and we're 150 miles apart. Just meet somewhere in the middle.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby nero12345 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:29 pm

beauanderos wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:

There have to be several sorters on both sides of the border who could help each other out, as Chuck is suggesting. How about stepping up with your distance from the border and if you'd be willing to help out fellow forum members? Maybe a few lasting agreements could be struck once a few PM's procured an initial introduction? I know Hoardie and I used to do several trades back in the day, and we're 150 miles apart. Just meet somewhere in the middle.

Yeah he has to have someone drop shipping for him. That was my first thought as well. I am about 9 hours from the Saint Steven crossing to Maine from New Brunswick.
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Im about 6 hrs from St Strphen.. :lol:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby nero12345 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Im about 6 hrs from St Strphen.. :lol:

St Stephen, NB.not saint steven. I usually have my mind on the cheap booze i never really noticed the name, i was fairley close.
:lol:
Silver and Gold
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby atticus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 pm

i'm about 4 hours from calais me. if they ever put an East West highway in ME it would take less time.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 am

Jackman, ME here
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 am

Annother possibility is the guy is somehow offloading his shipping cost onto some
organization that doesn't realize they are paying his shipping.

Though hopefully you guys are right about him having a partner drop ship or
frequently getting over the border for other unrelated reasons.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PMLurker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm

nero12345 wrote: There is no shipping service in Canada thats gonna ship 5 pounds for that price. beside's he hasn't made anything yet for a profit. Now if was in the USA then he could probably ship for about $5. Still not much of a profit but there is a little. Maybe he's a trucker making long hauls down south and ships from down there, i don't know. its got me baffeled.lol.

I doubt that he's shipping from Canada.

The estimated delivery time is more than a month out, so he must be gathering as many orders as possible and making a trip into the US once a month to mail them out.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing