Holy cow... this might be getting out of hand!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Holy cow... this might be getting out of hand!!

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 pm

i just bought my first $50 bag. it's still in my car, since i don't know how to explain this to my family hahahaha.

i also bought another brinks box while i was there. should stockpile raw sorting material, right?

oh, i should mention... i hand sort.

i'll keep this thread posted to what i find for a percentage. i'm interested to see if it runs at the same 28% average that i've been getting with brinks boxes, as well as wheats etc.

stay tuned.

atticus
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Holy cow... this might be getting out of hand!!

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm

I've noticed that Brinks boxes contain less wheaties than the others. The overall coppers are still running 25-30%.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby atticus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm

i'm getting about 18 wheats per box on average here.
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 pm

$75 isn't getting out of hand...it's a good start :D . You should post your results in the Copper Penny Hand Sorter Tracking.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 am

Dude! Settle Down!!! You need to pace yourself! Take it slowly.

The easiest way is for you to fill up your pockets full of pennies.. go in the house.. sort.. and then bring them back to the car and dump them into another bag, and continue until the bag is done!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 am

Just one bag? Keep stockpiling that raw material.

What's up with these high wheat numbers I keeping hearing about? I average just 9 wheats per box and 7 wheats per $25 of CWRs. But then again I do get over 2,000 zincs per box. :lol:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 am

I have 7 bank bags stacked and waiting for processing... I like having a "stockpile"
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby willy13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:25 am

I am a hand sorter and I am $500 behind in my sorting. :) I order $75 every week plus pickup $10 at any bank I drive by that I have an account at. This is whether I need pennies or not. So I have gotten behind... Thats fine with me, its not like interest rates are high. But when I hit $1000, I might just have to stop ordering the $75 a week....
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PADFH » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm on $100 a week in boxes and another $75ish from CWRs. 25-30% on boxes and usually better on CWRs. I've had some nearly 100% Cu from CWRs. I'd like to sort more but I'm already pulling $40-$50 FV out a week. I'm trying to cut down on some spending so I can save more Cu!
PADFH
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Beervestor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 pm

How does everyone plan on selling all this copper when the ban gets lifted? It would be way to much to ship....
Beervestor

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

atticus wrote:i just bought my first $50 bag. it's still in my car, since i don't know how to explain this to my family hahahaha.

i also bought another brinks box while i was there. should stockpile raw sorting material, right?

oh, i should mention... i hand sort.

i'll keep this thread posted to what i find for a percentage. i'm interested to see if it runs at the same 28% average that i've been getting with brinks boxes, as well as wheats etc.

stay tuned.

atticus

Well, you could do what I did to keep from telling them. When I got my first first Ryedale I had it delivered to my office at work. I had stocked up 200 boxes of pennies there as I waited for it. I used to run the Ryedale every night after work to sort the pennies. I also had a Mach 7 in my office to bag the zincs and take them to the bank. The gf at the time thought I was having an affair because of all the late nights. I finally had to cop to it and bring the Ryedale home. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby crazypennyguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:$75 isn't getting out of hand...it's a good start :D .

Tell me about it!
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby atticus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 pm

so, here's what i got from my first bag:

29.4lb on my bathroom scale

166 - 1982
27 - Wheat (all common, 1 1916)
49 - Canadian (31 pre 1980, couple of George VI, 1 Dove)
1 -Dime
1,235 - Copper

not too bad. about 30% (it's wrong, but I count all 1982's toward my percentage even though I know it runs about 50% copper)

about the same as i get with the brinks boxes. few less wheats, but then a few more canadians, so ultimately, more bang for my buck bullion-wise. i think it might be easier to handle in the $25 amounts as it forces me to clean up the workspace in shorter times, but i still might get another bag next week. it's less of a hassle to not open all the plastic tubes, and the thought of scoring a home run of copper etc, keeps eating at me a bit.

will let you all know what happens next.

atticus
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:22 am

how to explain to family? "its like this see, we are sorting these pennies till you each find a wheat, or NO DINNER!" tough love dude!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Beervestor wrote:How does everyone plan on selling all this copper when the ban gets lifted? It would be way to much to ship....

There are a couple possible scenaios.

1. When the price of copper gets over $10/pound and the melt ban gets lifted I suspect that local refining operations will pop up in most populated areas. I'd expect that they would pay about 70% of spot allowing us to get around 5 Xs face. These sales won't make us rich, but they will justify our efforts over the past several years.

2. If there is a sudden currency collapse, the likely strategy would be not to sell the pennies but to spend them. I fully expect pennies and nickels to retain their face value as the they will likely be used for small transactions and to make change for larger deals.
Last edited by theo on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dannan14 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 pm

theo wrote:
Beervestor wrote: I fully expect that pennies and nickels to retain their face value as the they will likely be used for small transactions and to make change for larger deals.

Not necessarily face value, but some tie to value of silver or gold.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing