CWR vs Brink's wrap

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

CWR vs Brink's wrap

Postby robroy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

In the past, I usually passed on cwr's because they were searched rolls and as such would have no wheat pennies. The last couple of times I picked up cwr twice because the pick up bank was out of fresh Brink's or Loomis boxes. Was I ever surprised by the result of those 4 boxes.

Each box returned more than 40% cu ( in one box is was 85%) but there was no wheats. I don't know what's going on, but if this keeps up like this I won't worry about cwr's.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: CWR vs Brink's wrap

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 pm

49 out of 50 have less wheats, but then you run across the roll (or 5) of solid wheats that is turned in by someones Grandmother...they are worth waiting for...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Ecotic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 pm

CWRs are a gamble, some will be 5 cents short. Others are 5 cents over. Some have 3 dimes in them, others have no coppers at all. Personally I love CWRs, because I usually come out ahead on average. The problem with them, is that for me, living in Atlanta, the gas required to collect large amounts of CWRs from individual banks is not worth it when I can get 2 or 3 orders from Brink's a week. Usually I only get them when passing by a bank on a trip I was taking anyway.

I have to say though, the thrill of the "lottery" when opening up CWRs is the best part.
Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 am

The Brink's boxes have been consistent for me. I pretty much know what to expect when I start sorting a box. The CWRs on the other hand have the element of surprise. I have not hit the solid wheat roll lottery yet but I keep hoping. The CWRs have turned up far more dimes than I have ever found in boxes. Same goes for the various worldwide coins which are always a nice suprise. I also come out ahead on the count much more often than short when sorting CWRs.

Just today I sorted a batch of $25 CWRs. Sure enough it was something unexpected. A total of 2,501 coins with all of them being Lincoln Memorial cents except for 36 coins which were the newer designs of 2009-2011. No wheats in there and no Canadian cents either. The copper percentage was over 20% which is quite rare around my area. But the 12 copper 1982's vs 41 zinc 1982's was unexpected. They are usually a 50/50 split for me. Most of the other sorters seem to report finding way more copper 1982's than zinc ones. But like I said, you never know what to expect with CWRs and this latest batch is no exception.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:59 am

I have a small bank in my town, but they don't do enough commerce to get or dump coin there, so I have to drive about 70 miles to pick up or dump. The point is, I just ask for pennies at the bank, and I'm happy with whatever they give me!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 am

Just like bank bags versus boxes....you take the chance on somebody's big zinc dump or somebody's grandpa's collection with the bags. And then you have those brinks boxes that may contain lots of zinc!

I will never turn down a bag! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby robroy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:48 pm

I think that after the experience I have had with the last for boxes of CWR I'll start taking them now without hesitation. The issue of dimes in a CWR is a non-issue for me. I find them sometimes in either a brink's or loomis box.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a full roll of wheats in front of me. Probably go OMG.

Tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon I'm going to my dump bank and then make the rounds of my usual pick up banks to see what I can get. So far I have never been refused coins, but i have been asked what I do with them. I usually tell them that I look for my family's birth year coins.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I've only done a minimal amount of CWR's. The ones I got were so nasty and sticky that I decided to stick with BWR's. I average 28% so I'm happy with that.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Never pass up CWRs. I've hit many a jackpot. Solid copper, solid wheats, steel.

I'm still sitting on 100 FV of CWRs(155g rolls) that I haven't opened yet.

Just weigh them before you open them. 123 grams, you got dumps. They are pre-rolled and easy to deposit.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 pm

I got a small itch for some string boxes....they are usually pretty good in my neck of the woods...but the bank called and said they have "6" bags waiting for me.

I guess the boxes will wait....6 bags! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Just found an indian in a cwr..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

When I pick up my boxes from my banks I also grab whatever CWR they have... most of them now hold them for me because whenever I come in I just say I'll take whatever pennies they have, no matter the amount...
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby 1832veto » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

A few weeks ago I walked into a branch and asked for a couple boxes. The teller put together two boxes from cwr's. They were covered in cat hair, but a high copper percentage.
1832veto

Postby dannan14 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 pm

1832veto wrote:A few weeks ago I walked into a branch and asked for a couple boxes. The teller put together two boxes from cwr's. They were covered in cat hair, but a high copper percentage.

Yeah, i find CWR to regularly have so much hair, lint and other detritus that i have to think that most people think it is a requirement to dump all their pennies on an un-vacuumed carpet before rolling :P
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 am

dannan14 wrote:
1832veto wrote:A few weeks ago I walked into a branch and asked for a couple boxes. The teller put together two boxes from cwr's. They were covered in cat hair, but a high copper percentage.

Yeah, i find CWR to regularly have so much hair, lint and other detritus that i have to think that most people think it is a requirement to dump all their pennies on an un-vacuumed carpet before rolling :P

Pffft, i've gotten stabbed by a toenail clipping from one roll.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 am

cesariojpn wrote:
dannan14 wrote:

Pffft, i've gotten stabbed by a toenail clipping from one roll.

Now that is just NASTY! :shock:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:47 pm

all I sort is CWRs so many are cashing in their coin jars nowadays ya find some real treats!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 am

The nice thing about CWR's is that you will find dimes and foreign coins in them. The lucky members that can source bags find dimes too. Many times the CU percentage is higher in CWR's and the condition of the coins are better. Sometimes it seems like I obtain a lot of CWR's that I suspect are coming out of a fountain lots of corrosion but no mud. I hit a bunch of rolls in the Fall that must have been someone dumping their season of metal detecting finds. Every roll is an adventure...............
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing