1942 S steel penny?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1942 S steel penny?

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I have a guy that says he has one and wants to sell it...

Sounds like it might be silver plated to me, but I am new to this so it may be like the 1943 copper.

Thanks
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Re: 1942 S steel penny?

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

You never know. You need a gram scale to weigh it.

Also there is Society of U.S. Pattern Collectors

For those of you not familiar with this fascinating area of numismatics, patterns are prototypes for coins that, for the most part, were never approved for circulation. Most patterns are very rare, some unique, and others unknown outside of museums.

This is a 1942 cent struck on a white metal planchet. It is believed to be a metallurgical trial by the mint in its search for a replacement to copper which was needed for the World War II effort. Pollock believes it was struck prior to August 1942.

Only a 2 or 3 are known, none of which are proofs. The earliest known listing for one of these is ex Farouk, Bolender 10/54. The illustrated piece is 95% tin, 5% copper and is ex Stacks 9/96, Heritage 97 ANA, Superior 3/00 and is presently in a PCGS65 holder. A second piece is 93% tin, 7% antimony and was offered in Ira & Larry Goldberg's Coins & Collectibles 5/2003 sale.

There also exists a magnificent Proof example on a thick aluminum planchet. That piece was originally misattributed by PCGS as J-2081 and consigned to the Heritage 3/08 sale, but was withdrawn when it was determined that the piece was in fact aluminum. It was subsequently re-offered in the Heritage 5/09 sale, properly described, and is illustrated below. It is now listed as J2079.

The following discussion of J-2079 is excerpted from the Heritage lot description.

The weight of the piece is 1.563 gm, about half the normal 3.11 gm. When the coin was resubmitted to PCGS and analyzed, its composition came back: aluminum 98.0%, silicon 0.7%, iron 0.6%, silver 0.5%, magnesium 0.4%. In July of last year Roger Burdette hypothesized:

"The assay: Al 98; Si 0.7; Fe 0.6; Ag 0.5 and Mg 0.4 is very significant. Although most of the piece is aluminum, the other elements are not impurities. Someone was making a deliberate attempt to test a harder, more durable alloy than plain aluminum. Aluminum-silver alloys can be extremely hard [although they are also extremely difficult to produce and usually require an atmosphere free of oxygen] and the quantity of silver necessary is small. The US Mint experimented with them as far back as the early 1860s, and James Ross Snowden conducted other experiments in about 1885. This assay suggests we will eventually identify many other experimental alloys, currently unknown, based on aluminum."

Burdette went on to state that even though the assay totals 100.2%, implying there is a 0.2% rounding error, "the important thing is that silver should not be present [unless the Mint were purposely trying to produce this difficult alloy], even if the cheapest aluminum scrap were used for experiments. (Fe [iron] and Si [silicon] are common impurities.)"

There was some controversy surrounding the J2079 preceding the Heritage auction. Some prospective bidders had significant concerns that the piece might not be an authentic U.S. Mint product. This was based on several characteristics of the coin:

1. The coin lacked some detail, especially on the obverse. (I recognized this as being common for 1942 proof cents, the result of excessive polishing of the dies, so this didn't bother me as much as it did others.)

2. The surfaces exhibited some raised "pimples", which are sometimes seen on counterfeit coins. These particular pimples were not rounded and lumpy as usual, but had been substantially softened, most likely the result of the polishing of the dies.

3. The open fields of the coin exhibited some "as made" pitting of the fields. None of the numismatists discussing the coin recalled seeing anything similar on other coins.

4. There were some "as made" marks on some of the higher points of Lincoln's portrait. There was a concern that these may have been on the die, the result of transfer dies created from a coin with similar bagmarks.

Subsequent research has determined that all of the above characteristics are commonly seen on 1942 proof Lincoln Cents. The problem, it seems, is that the doubters of the unique aluminum proof never bothered to study the common bronze proofs of the same year.

In any event, it can now be stated without question that the piece is authentic.

Zinc coated steel examples are also reported and are now listed as J2080 although none are presently confirmed.

Photos courtesy of Heritage.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for that... I may take a look...
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 pm

DebtFreeMe wrote:Thanks for that... I may take a look...

The odds of it being a 1942 non-copper one is the million to one but you cant not win with out playing. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:12 pm

does it stick to a magnet?
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robroy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 pm

I have searched over 70 boxes of pennies in the past few months and have found only 900 wheat pennies and no steel ones. I know that they exist because when I was a kid they were everywhere, and I have a few in my collection. But I keep looking..............
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dannan14 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:31 am

robroy wrote:I have searched over 70 boxes of pennies in the past few months and have found only 900 wheat pennies and no steel ones. I know that they exist because when I was a kid they were everywhere, and I have a few in my collection. But I keep looking..............

That is better than 1 wheat per 4 rolls. i wish i got that many. i just found my first steel the other day. It was a bit of a shock, at first i thought it was foreign til i got a good look, hehe.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

I get one every 8 rolls. :(
But I have found 4 steel wheats!
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Night Hawk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

My average is 1 wheat every 4 1/2 rolls. My worse $25 box only had like 8 and my best was 31.

I'm almost at 800 rolls searched and I have yet to find a steel cent.
Night Hawk
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing