For those using TD Penny Arcades

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: For those using TD Penny Arcades

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

somebody told me the tellers rig the coin return so, it doesn't easily return the rejects, so when the machine gets" full" they open it , pull them out, find silver etc and wallaa
1badmf

Postby Morsecode » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I suppose that's possible...bending the reject slide upwards slightly would do the trick, while not appearing to be an obvious crime. In reality though, most tellers couldn't tell the difference between a silver Franklin and a wooden nickel.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 1badmf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I asked a teller if they get any older bills and one fellow pulled out an older $20 that he had bought. I guess its a rarity
1badmf

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Found a Brazilian 1994 5 centavo coin on my TD magnet tonight - a bit more interesting than most. A stainless steel coin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_real
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby adagirl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

awesome find! I wonder if anyone else hoards copper from other countries besides the US and Canadian cent.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Greatwun » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:37 pm

I went to go do my weekly penny dump and the 2 TD banks nearest to me. First machine had quite a few coins but mostly just newer Canadian and euro coins. However I did find an Andrew Jackson dollar coin in the reject tray that someone forgot to retrieve. At the second back there were quite a few more coins stuck to the magnet. As I open my hand to search them, there they were. Two steel cents, one in pretty good condition with light tarnish marks and the other about the same with small hairline scratches. Rest of the coins were CA and euro coins and some sort of good luck token. Really glad about today's finds. Makes me wanna go check out the other penny arcades as well.
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Good for you! Were these two near kissimmee?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Greatwun » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Yea the one on 192 and the other on Osceola. The I got the steel ones at Osceola which was surprising since I never get anything good there.
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby everything » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:10 pm

You can still score on the belt type with the video screen. When the bag fills up, although the bag doors are actually on the side and bottom of the machine, but when they open the front of the machine, if they do, be standing to the right front side of the machine, as the door opens to the left, look down but inside and you will see a dump tray, that sloughs off anything the machine will not take, ask .. The teller I spoke with said they throw the coins away that are in that tray, while I'm quietly thinking .... THROW AWAY COINS!?!
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:59 pm

At my branch, the tellers go and clean the magnet after each user, just make sure everyone gets their own money (rejects) back. I guess they don't want 'em.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby AFModell » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 pm

My TD experience has always been to come up with more coin than I dumped when dumping only pennies, to come up accurate sorting halves, and to come up short if I am dumping when dimes are involved. Dumping pennies and nickels always makes me money! :) I have never tried to pull up the bucket and check the magnet, that will be on the list for next time.
AFModell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 am

Yes, dimes are losers a lot. I had $155 in dimes that I dumped yesterday and I was shorted $1 overall. But I got about $3 canadian off the magnet so I can't complain. I expected to take a loss on the dimes but it was interesting to see how much it was off by. I ran them through my SC303 before I went to the bank. Whenever I pre-count my pennies or nickles, it is always dead on or in my favor a little (leftovers in the machine from previous user)

You might get yelled at for pulling off the magnet. 2 branches near me do not approve. The other 7-8 branches don't care. In fact at one of the branches the showed me where the magnet was and encourage me to clean it off myself. The times that I did get reprimanded I just told them that a teller at another branch showed it to me and said it was cool. They still told me not to touch it, but I just smile really big and don't respond to them and then they don't know what to say. These are downright hostile angry tellers and I really like to respond to their crappy attitudes by smiling really big as to openly mock their crappy attitudes.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Excellent advice on how to handle the angry tellers. I've been bringing in small amounts of pocket change just to have an excuse to be at the arcade. I did as little as four dollars in dimes and nickels :D

The take averages out to $3.50 Canada per machine x three visits per week. I swear, there's one branch I could hit twice a day for that amount, but I guess that would be pressing my luck.

Also found 9 SBA dollars in the reject tray last week. That was a nice score...although I'm certain they weren't actually rejected. The dollar bag is right next to the reject chute...I think they just detoured away from the bag somehow.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:28 am

Your take from the magents is excellent. 10x what I get. Don't know if you have more coins going through in a more mature branch than my new one, or more Canadian coinage in CT, or both. Hard to believe that in thousands of banks across the country the coins are just going in the trash! I wonder if - at these branches that don't like the magnet being skimmed - the tellers are taking them for themselves.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am

Morsecode wrote:Also found 9 SBA dollars in the reject tray last week. That was a nice score...although I'm certain they weren't actually rejected. The dollar bag is right next to the reject chute...I think they just detoured away from the bag somehow.

I don't think the penny arcade accepts SBA's. I have tried unloading some and they all got rejected, but it took the presidential dollars that I put in at the same time. Nice find. It could happen again. On a bag change, I once scored one that was stuck on the reject chute, but 9 is sweet!

Camaro... I agree, there is a high likelihood that these "angry tellers" are keeping the magnet scores or saving them for their favorite friend/relative/chocolate bribing coin loonie. Or they might just hate their lives like the ladies at my local town hall and DMV and donut shop.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 am

Last night there was a high school kid dumping a big old bucket of change in the penny arcade when I got there. While waiting, I saw a lot of odd stuff plinking into reject slot. Once he was done, he was all excited about getting $250 for his change and he told me that he was psyched because he got it from his grandfather. I told him to check the reject stuff because the silver coins often get kicked out. He showed me what he had and I did not spot any silver, but there was a 1-gram gold bar in there! Holy crap! But when I picked it up and flipped it over it was stamped "not gold". Bummer.

After I was done my dump, I skimmed the magnet and got about 20 .999 nickles off of there. Most were from the 50's. The kid had already left at that point, otherwise I was gonna give them to him and explain why he should save them. He probably would have spent them anyway. He did not seem to care at all when I mentioned that he might have silver in his other rejects. Oh well, I have a good home for these .999's
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 am

Nice nickel score. I haven't been pulling that many lately, but the quarters are really taking off.

I did a short loop yesterday...5 branches, 14 miles start to finish, takes about an hour. Since I no longer sort Lincolns I bring a few dollars in common change to get at the Arcade. Anyway, the haul was $25.10 canadian + 3 steel pennies :D A single machine held $9.00, all of it quarters. That's a single machine record for me. And I had just tapped that branch a few days earlier.

Seems to be a ton of Canada coin in central CT. When I think of all the times I only dumped zinc and ran... :(
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah, I see lots of Canadian quarters and a handful of dimes. Nickles I might get 1-2 per dump if I am lucky. This was an out of the ordinary nickel score.

You quit copper sorting? What are you doing instead?

I think that you have me beat with a $9.00 score. Nice! These magnet scores are the only thing keeping me from trying to find a Credit Union or someone that will take bags from me.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Went to a TD bank normally out of my way, but near a lunch appointment, and skimmed off 3 .999 quarters, plus 3 newer steel quarters, 3 slugs, and two other quarter sized steel coins (caymans and some other place I've forgotten).
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Good score today. .999 nickel take was 6 quarters, 3 nickels, 4 dimes. Plus some steel stuff.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 am

I only got 3 Canadian dimes off the magnet today. Then I pulled out my receipt and I saw that I got shorted by 2 half dollars. But that feeling of loss quickly turned around when I checked the reject bin and found my 2 half dollars. Plus an extra $1.00 worth of bent coins, 2 batting cage tokens, and..... an AU 1963 Washington Quarter!! It's the 3rd silver coin that I have pulled from this same machine. I have been to about 10 other branches and I have never seen silver at any of them, but this one branch has 3 scores now. Nice!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing