String & Son Boxes - Brinks Boxes

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

String & Son Boxes - Brinks Boxes

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:58 pm

As I understand Brinks actually wraps coins, String & Sons makes the machines and supplies the paper they use. They don't wrap themselves. Whether you get plastic or the String & Sons paper depends on what machines the firm doing the wrapping happens to be using.

Maybe his is why the actual Brinks armored truck might deliver pennies that are Brinks rolls one week and then the next week the rolls and boxes are labeled String and Son?

Either they are using multiple rolling machine or contracting out having some coins rolled by another company.

Does some else have some insight other than this?
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: String & Son Boxes - Brinks Boxes

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Are you picking up from the same location? There can be lots of reasons for this.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:09 pm

That time yes....and I don't think it in inner bank transfers
Copper Catcher

Postby Bluegill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:As I understand Brinks actually wraps coins, String & Sons makes the machines and supplies the paper they use. They don't wrap themselves. Whether you get plastic or the String & Sons paper depends on what machines the firm doing the wrapping happens to be using.

As far as I'm aware, Brinks is the only ones using the plastic. But yes, you are correct, N.F.String and Sons does not wrap or process coins.

Maybe his is why the actual Brinks armored truck might deliver pennies that are Brinks rolls one week and then the next week the rolls and boxes are labeled String and Son?

Either they are using multiple rolling machine or contracting out having some coins rolled by another company.

Does some else have some insight other than this?

I have seen Brinks trucks deliver N.F. String boxes on a few occasions. I have seen non Brinks trucks deliver Brinks boxes.

fasTT would probably be the best person to ask. He owns a coin processing co.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I picked up a box yesterday that was only generically marked "$25.00 Cents"...but the paper rolls were "Loomis"

I've not seen that before.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:31 pm

My best guess is that brinks is switching back over to paper rolls. They have gotten a lot of grief from the environmental people do to the plastic wraps.

Otherwise it could be the customer/bank/cu that you are going to switched banks. Brinks still delivers to them but instead of getting brinks wrapped coin they might get coin wrapped by someone else, which brinks has to deliver.

Also Strings does not provide people with machines. They offer a full service where they come in with their people and their equipment and they charge x cents per wrap OR you can buy their paper and boxes from their website.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheba » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 pm

I also have always gotten boxes that have 'String' rolls. Now the boxes only have 'Loomis' rolls. I too would appreciate some info on Loomis?

I get my boxes from just one bank since I am not a Ryedale user and hand check coins. As to percentages..... I'm guessing .... 25-30% over all are CU. Use to keep a very accurage percentage count and it was around 32%. But it was higher when I weighed and kept the '82s'. They are ususally about 70% copper that I have found.

Anyway...who is 'Loomis'? Good, bad or indifferent in quality of CU in 'Loomis' rolls? Or does it even matter?

Thanks for any help.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Sheba wrote:
Anyway...who is 'Loomis'? Good, bad or indifferent in quality of CU in 'Loomis' rolls? Or does it even matter?

Thanks for any help.
From -- http://www.loomis.us/products-services/Pages/coin-processing.aspx

Loomis offers a comprehensive solution for coin services throughout much of our national service network. In fact, we serve as Federal Reserve Coin Depots in 40 locations, enabling us to provide the most stable and reliable coin services in the industry and, in most cases, help you reduce inventory. We offer complete processing services including sorting, wrapping, storage and of course delivery.

So I would say it the luck of the draw, At 40 locations . It would not be the same on CU rates. Also it looks like Loomis is buying up other coin halding co. see-- http://www.loomis.us/about-loomis/Pages/loomis-news.aspx .
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

String does wrap coin. They do contract work. They use their own paper and they do not stamp any name on the peek a boo boxes they use. I found this out personally after having some rolls done personally. Even met one of the string family members.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheba » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am

Thnaks for your quick answer. I'll just take the 'luck of the draw'. The bank I use is very good about always having a 'box' for me to pick up when I go there and I have a great dump bank too. (have accounts at both places)

Again, thank you for your infomation!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing