Is shipping legal

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is shipping legal

Postby Prince By-Tor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Hay is it legal to ship canadian pennies from canada to usa?
Prince By-Tor

Re: Is shipping legal

Postby natsb88 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Canadian pennies from Canada to the US, yes.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:43 am

Is there any limit?

Also, is there any restriction about sending Canadian money back to Canada from the US?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 am

I read somthing about a limit in selling pennies $50 or $100 i forget whitch it was
Prince By-Tor

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 am

Morsecode wrote:Is there any limit?

If you are crossing the border from Canada to the US with more than $10,000 in cash/coins, you have to declare it, but there's no limit.

Morsecode wrote:Also, is there any restriction about sending Canadian money back to Canada from the US?

Canadian money, no. Same deal crossing the border though I think; have to declare it if it's more than $10,000.
Prince By-Tor wrote:I read somthing about a limit in selling pennies $50 or $100 i forget whitch it was

You cannot carry more than $5 in US nickels and pennies out of the country. You are technically allowed to ship up to $100 in US nickels and pennies out of the country for "numismatic purposes," but I wouldn't press my luck. Just because you claim a box of US copper pennies is being shipped for "numismatic purposes" doesn't mean anyone will believe you.
natsb88

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:47 am

natsb88 wrote:
Morsecode wrote:Is there any limit?

If you are crossing the border from Canada to the US with more than $10,000 in cash/coins, you have to declare it, but there's no limit.

Morsecode wrote:Also, is there any restriction about sending Canadian money back to Canada from the US?

Canadian money, no. Same deal crossing the border though I think; have to declare it if it's more than $10,000. YES, you have to declare it.
Prince By-Tor wrote:I read somthing about a limit in selling pennies $50 or $100 i forget whitch it was

You cannot carry more than $5 in US nickels and pennies out of the country. You are technically allowed to ship up to $100 in US nickels and pennies out of the country for "numismatic purposes," but I wouldn't press my luck. Just because you claim a box of US copper pennies is being shipped for "numismatic purposes" doesn't mean anyone will believe you.

+1 to all of these
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm

I i read about having to declare $10,000 or more aswell

Thx every for being a big help to me as well as anyone elts who where unsure on this
Prince By-Tor

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm

More than 10K in cash must be declared. I've done it before. I was buying a few Maple Leafs, but that is a story for another thread.

It was about 5 years ago and the law may have changed since then. You should reference US Customs to be 100% sure.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:58 pm

I cross all the time. Around here there are big signs at the border on both sides about the $10,000 declaration requirement. Not that it matters much but it's $10,000US into the States and $10,000 Canadian into Canada - two different laws. Also, you are supposed to declare the money entering AND exiting, but if you declare to Canada they share the info with the US and vice versa.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Z00 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Now, if you leave Canada with $8k of .999 nickels do they consider melt value?
I think not. Then by that thinking of only considering face value, what prevents you from leaving with silver coin with a face value of $8K under the same law?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Prince By-Tor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Well right now canada and us value is dam close to even so rly its the same eather way for now

Its currently illegal to melt nickles for nickel or pennies for copper in both canada and us so they cant go by melt value
Silver is leagal to melt so thats a different story
Last edited by Prince By-Tor on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince By-Tor

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Im pretty confident its just face value
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:44 pm

If they were to play with melt values they'd be looking at an absolute value and it would be expanded to include everything of value; ie: antiques.
The other problem with melt value is they'd have to acknowledge the monetary values of silver vs junk.
fb101

Postby penny pretty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:06 am

I suggest that you ship a roll of georges to me. If I get it, I will let you know, then it MUST be legal!( I will charge you NOTHING for this great service I am providing) :D
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing