Penny Drives?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Drives?

Postby Shifty51 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Anyone on here ever considered sponsoring a penny drive at a local school or business? You could keep the coins and give the charity a cash equivalent. It wouldn't be any different than purchasing the coins at face value at the bank but might be an easy way to accumulate a lot of coins and give some of your money to charity instead of the bank. You may even get lucky and the kids could talk the grandparent’s into throwing in their old coin jars. Just wondering if anyone has thought about or maybe even put on a penny drive before. It might be more trouble than it is worth.
He who does not respect the penny is not worthy of the dollar
Shifty51
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Penny Drives?

Postby dannan14 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:31 pm

i've actually considered starting a service for non-profits, schools and church groups to organize penny drive campaigns. Haven't put too much thought or effort into it yet though.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Me too.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby adagirl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I too have considered doing this, but at this time I have not moved past given it thought. Given what is occurring, and now that I am down to one job, it is time to act and getting moving on this idea.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

yes, we have thought about and done it....lets get one underway right now....you bring me $600 US fiat and I will give you 12 bags of US cents....for your penny drive. ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Shifty51 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

fasteddy wrote:yes, we have thought about and done it....lets get one underway right now....you bring me $600 US fiat and I will give you 12 bags of US cents....for your penny drive. ;)

Sorry fasteddy...Donations only!!! :D Oh and sorters need not participate. I have all the zincs I need already!! Ha!!
He who does not respect the penny is not worthy of the dollar
Shifty51
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Over the years I have offered to several nonprofits the idea of doing a penny drive.

I even offered to match the donations of pennies they get up to $500. Also, I have told them I have a counter and would he happy to count them for them and write a check for the total they get.

All the executive directors just see it as a lot of time and too much work for the money and no one ever took me up on the deal. Sad but true!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing